I don't know if any of you know this, but I am someone who is very fond of the sounds of different music instruments. There is something that has had me confused for what seems like years. What is th

babyteen

I don't know if any of you know this, but I am someone who is very fond of the sounds of different music instruments. There is something that has had me confused for what seems like years. What is the difference in tone between the Tenor Saxophone and the Soprano Saxophone? Also, the alto saxophone, which one is it's tone closer to? The Tenor Sax, or the Soprano Sax? Which one does Kenny G usually play, since I've been stumped on that one as well.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an occasional listener of Mr. Gorelick's Saxophone performances, he's usually heard tooting a Soprano Saxophone. (Yes, I admit to searching for "Songbird" on the "Duotones" CD long before it popped up on the "Cars" soundtrack.) But then, I also find Boney James interesting, along with "Bird" and Grover Washington, Jr. :afro:

Edited by Guest
Spfeiling error!

The soprano sax, the tenor sax and the bass sax are all Bb instruments. The alto and the baritone saxophones are Eb instruments. The fingering on all of them are the same. You will find some soprano saxes are curved and look like a small alto, but they do not tune up as well as a straight soprano, I have found. Maybe it was just that particular horn, but I am not the only one who has thought this.

The alto falls between the soprano and the tenor tonally. I would say an alto is closer to a tenor, sound wise, as a soprano has a very distinct sound.

Finally, Otokichi is correct, Kenny G plays a soprano. At least in every song of his I have heard. If you want to really hear someone masterfully play the soprano, check out John Coltrane. His primary horn was the tenor sax, but he also played the soprano quite well. I know that this advice will probably fall on dead ears and I will hear something about Coltrane being "grandma's music", but that will be your loss. I agree with Otokichi's choices of horn men, too. Especially Charlie Parker.

I can't remember which President made this quote, but I recently heard the famous quote, "We must either love each other, or we must die!" I know it was made famous by a guy from Texas, who was one of the Presidents. Someone told me it was Franklin Roosevelt. It might've even been Theodore, as there were two Roosevelts that were presidents. But all I know is, it was a guy with a Southern Accent. And by the way, the Brotherly Love in Philadelphia isn't all the way gone, as there are some nice parts of town, which I have been to.

I can't remember which President made this quote, but I recently heard the famous quote, "We must either love each other, or we must die!" I know it was made famous by a guy from Texas, who was one of the Presidents. Someone told me it was Franklin Roosevelt. It might've even been Theodore, as there were two Roosevelts that were presidents. But all I know is, it was a guy with a Southern Accent. And by the way, the Brotherly Love in Philadelphia isn't all the way gone, as there are some nice parts of town, which I have been to.

i THINK IT WAS PRESIDENT LEGHORN.