Disco died pretty quick...why is Rapp still alive?

Mike

FIrst off let me say I am a hip-hop head, always was since I was little, it's just part of who I am and what I grew up on. And also that I am a huge fan of classic rock and Soul and RnB. Especialy bands like Led Zeppelin, Guns N Roses, Queen etc..

Then let me ask you this. You understand that back when all these artists we now consider amazing and the aritsts I just named came out the older generation of the time had no idea what the hell it was about? That most parents were going what the hell is this jungle music? It's just yelling, this isn't music, Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles is real music blah blah!

Point is that's what always happens, the same way you're doing it to hip-hop now they did it to rock then and to swing music before that.

Now it's obvious most of calling it trash are completly clueless about it. I don't blame you for that, that's not your fault. What I do blame you for and what does urk me is you judging it, especialy when it's already been established your opinion is based on some very "shakey" unreliable things.

Usualy when someone says a whole genre of music litteraly sucks it's cuz they've never been exposed to any good stuff from it. I never liked Rock 5 years ago, but after I was exposed to alot of the classic material I was blown away.

As far as the people talking about oo much violence in the music or too much drugs blah blah, these are the same people who will listen to Johnny Cash sing about shooting his woman and taking a shot of cocaine and running off with a shotgun. Or Axl saying "I wonna watch you bleed", or a million other things that people hated and blamed Rock N Roll music for especialy. But of course then they have excuses like "it's not to be taken litteral it's just a song blah blah". Then why you hating on hip-hop culture for the same thing?. Rap music is from the streets, point blank. Started in the streets, raw, uncut form of street poetry and it evolved into other things from there. So if you're a person who can't take what's going on in the world, or the ghetto, or to people in poverty in the first place, then you probly won't like ANY genre talking about it.

There is rap songs about a bazillion subjects from A to Z, it's not all "bang bang come here ho" like you're making it out to be.

I could name a TON of concious MC's who make amazing music, that have never talked about any stuff like that in an ignorant way. But people have this tendency to hear Gangsta Rap and think thats ALL rap. No that's a sub-genre of it. For god sakes there's even Space rap and Emo Rap lmao All white boys usualy too. Maybe you could relate to that more, and that's fine. Good music is good music. Like I said, Rock isn't for 90 year old grandma's and Rap isn;t for everyone either. You do have to be able to relate to a certain extent. The closest you're gonna get to liking rap and being an old 45 year old from the suburbs in England is maybe enjoying the party and dance songs. Everything else I doubt you can get into.

And finaly for the people who think Rap is just noise and talking over drums, haha, that doesn't even bother me cuz they are so clueless tojust how much work and effort goes into a GOOD song, from the writing to the flow to the delivery tot he cadence etc. 3 verses each 16 bars almost every song, and never repeat yourself or get boring. Flow and delivery take YEARS to develop. Artisticly rap has been called the hardest genre to be great at for a reason. Keywords ARTISTICLY and GREAT.

Any of your favorite artists will tell you themselves what they think of rap music.

Now some people don;t understand the bragging rappers do. It almost seems like some songs have no topic. Well rapping is a skill, and battling shows who's more skillfull. It would be like Axl Rose and Freddie Mercury having a sing off, or 2 guitar players competing. Except rappers compete with lyrics mostly and who sounds the most polished. WORDPLAY, and METAPHORS are a huge part of some of the more lyricsl MC's. Bragging is just something that comes with the territory. You GOTTA show how nice you are on the mic, and keep showing it, otherwise someone will take your place. Rap is very competative.

Now for those of you who have never heard any quality rap music I can name a few albums, but it also depends on what kind of thing appeals to you as far as subject matter.

What you hear on the radio with the 50 Cent's and the G-Unit is not ALL rap. Just becuz mainstream artists make repetative clone songs about clubs and women every album doesn't mean thats the whole genre. Would you want people judging pop music by Milli Vanilli?

I'm gon just name some great random albums that I have on my iTunes right now.

Common - BE

K-OS - Joyfull Rebellion

Little Brother - The Listening

Nas - Illmatic

OutKast - ATLiens

2Pac - Me Against The World

Notorious BIG - Ready To Die

Big Pun - Capital Punishment

Reef The Lost Cause - Feast Or Famine

Jay-Z - Black Album

Ok thats enough, THIS IS NOT, my list of greatest cd's or anything just the first cd's I saw randomly on my itunes.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raul, I was with you all the way, until this......

The closest you're gonna get to liking rap and being an old 45 year old from the suburbs in England is maybe enjoying the party and dance songs. Everything else I doubt you can get into.

A crotchety git like me- 41 and living in a suburb of Leeds in the North of England- could easily take offence at this remark!

My first experience of hip-hop/rap came when I was in my teens, thanks to Grandmaster Flash's "The Message", (which still ranks amongst my favourite tracks of all time) and The Clash's "Magnificent Seven" and "Radio Clash". Since then, whilst I have never been a fanatical devotee of hip-hop, I have always managed to find impressive and interesting music within the genre. I have always had a leaning for politically-aware/challenging/potentially-enlightening pop (whatever the genre) and found in hip-hop plenty to recommend it, as well as plenty of which to despair. I would never have been seen dead doing the rowing dance to "Oops Upside Your Head", or any other such undignified boogie you might associate with us party-loving English suburban oldsters....

Apart from that, I found your post a very constructive contribution to the debate. :thumbsup:

I thought that was very well put, Raul. I've never read a defence of the mysterious art of rap before, and what you wrote makes sense...

BF, next you'll be telling us you never danced to 'Come on Eileen' in Farrahs, Pods and a burgundy tank top...

BF, next you'll be telling us you never danced to 'Come on Eileen' in Farrahs, Pods and a burgundy tank top...

Of course I've danced to "Come On, Eileen", though not wearing the kind of apparel you describe. Actually, I'm quite partial to cutting a rug when the mood and the music is right- though I absolutely will not dance to stuff I don't like.

Here, I was of course referring to the party/dance/novelty end of the hip-hop/rap genre, which to my recollection, hasn't really tempted me on to the dancefloor. Unless you count The Beasties' "Fight For your Right To Party" in that category... .

Raul, I was with you all the way, until this......

A crotchety git like me- 41 and living in a suburb of Leeds in the North of England- could easily take offence at this remark!

My first experience of hip-hop/rap came when I was in my teens, thanks to Grandmaster Flash's "The Message", (which still ranks amongst my favourite tracks of all time) and The Clash's "Magnificent Seven" and "Radio Clash". Since then, whilst I have never been a fanatical devotee of hip-hop, I have always managed to find impressive and interesting music within the genre. I have always had a leaning for politically-aware/challenging/potentially-enlightening pop (whatever the genre) and found in hip-hop plenty to recommend it, as well as plenty of which to despair. I would never have been seen dead doing the rowing dance to "Oops Upside Your Head", or any other such undignified boogie you might associate with us party-loving English suburban oldsters....

Apart from that, I found your post a very constructive contribution to the debate. :thumbsup:

well you know what, I'm glad I was proven wrong on it. It just shows me the genre can reach beyond what I even thought.

I mean my parents are 40 too, they're huge music fans, of all the music from your and theres generation obviosly. I just come from a family where nearly every style of music is loved and listened to regularly so I thought I'd throw in my opinion.

And seriosly for anyone who likes music with Soul and social type stuff, check out Common's album named "BE". That really would be a good example to show how good hip-hop music can get without ever getitng into "my ho and my crackpipe".

Edited by Guest

I don't like rap, and greatly prefer rock and roll. Of course, it's all subjective, because the crowd that does prefer rap generally does not like rock and roll. The only difference is, I'm always right. ;)

But seriously, I think the main thing that I dislike about rap is the lack of melody. I like my singers to sing, the music to be played by musicians, and the beat to be made by a drummer, not a machine. The one exception to my dislike is Run-D.M.C. They rock.

A hip-hop guy I know said this to me the other day:

"But I don't know who Led Zeppelin is or what he sings"

Lol!

They're so used to people changing their names, They'd think that Looking Glass, Paper Lace, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and Electric Light Orchestra were people! :stars:

(Ok, maybe not ELO or CCR, but the other 2 are pretty convincing!)