Disco died pretty quick...why is Rapp still alive?

Mike

I know rock n roll will never die, disco went (it took longer than expected) but Rapp (talking w/chapachu's in between about nonsense- w/o a shred of "actual" music) won't go quitely into that good night. WHY?

It's bad enough that pop has gone the way it has, (don't get me started on that) but even that is somewhat listenable in some cases, but Rapp is just, bad. In my opinion.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have been predicting for 20 years that hip-hop will die, but it just keeps getting bigger. Essentially it's the new R&B. Which is fine, because I'd rather listen to hip-hop than most current R&B. Melismas are the bane of my existence.

Jane, what you said about not getting "the pull" is exactly the same for hip-hop fans. They probably don't get classic rock, oldies, etc., so they go to an alternative. Most hip-hop now is past the point of even being creative or original, but that goes for every style of mainstream music. There are turds everywhere.

The 60's had hippie culture, the 70's had disco. The 80's had whatever the hell that was, and the 90's had grunge. It just happens that the 00's are (so far) a decade of the hip-hop culture. So just be patient until 2010. :)

Das, I do agree with you about some of today's R&B, it will never hold up to classic R&B, but with rap/hip hop I feel there is too much violence connected to the music. The lyrics can bo over the top and I would not want my daughter to listen to it. I know we have seen many differents genres of music since the 60's, but I think that most of the music has stood the test of time for the quality it has to offer. I feel rap/hip hop has nothing substantial to offer in the music world. I will try and hold out until 2010...it will be a long wait...and hopefully something else will come along to make rap/hip hop seem useless. Man do I get winded when I express my opinion on this topic.

I don't mind it much. A lot of it is good to dance to. The violent and woman-bashing stuff is popular because the kids consider it to be rebellious, just as Elvis, The Stones, punk rock, hair metal and grunge were in their day.

The drug and sex themes are no different than what's out there with pop and rock. It may be more explicit, but no different.

I simply don't have the energy to keep defending rap. I will simply say that as with any genre of music, there are good and bad elements. If a person claims not to like it and not to listen to it, he or she obviously has not heard every song or artist. I don't believe it is possible to judge a whole genre of music without having heard more than a few snippets of a couple of songs.

I blame it all on P. Diddy/Puff Daddy/Dill Pickle.

The violent and woman-bashing stuff is popular because the kids consider it to be rebellious, just as Elvis, The Stones, punk rock, hair metal and grunge were in their day.

The drug and sex themes are no different than what's out there with pop and rock. It may be more explicit, but no different.

That´s absolutelly true. I don´t care if my young nephews love hip-hop and don´t know who Led Zeppelin is and what he sings... :laugh:

I didn´t like Bing Crosby neither when I was their age...

I've been on so many message boards where I've asked people to prove to me that Rap/Hip hop of today doesn't suck. "Give me some great artists" I ask them...sometimes I get answers, listen to their recommendations and think, Jesus-this is crap. I do like a few songs by Outkast I admit, but that is the only modern hip hop act I've even mildly liked--and beleive me I've been open-minded to it, and have looked for it. I keep thinking there must be something there, if all of these people like it.

But finally I've come to the conclusion that just becasue something is immensely popular doesnt mean that it has any quality. And I think rap/hip hop is just Pop music. It's easy to make and packaged by the corporate Music Industry so tht it is accessable to a wide and not so selective audiance...

I've been on so many message boards where I've asked people to prove to me that Rap/Hip hop of today doesn't suck. "Give me some great artists" I ask them...sometimes I get answers, listen to their recommendations and think, Jesus-this is crap.

I believe that in a reverse situation with that question whether Classic Rock sucks and to give good bands, maybe the answer would be The Who, Led Zeppelin etc. Don't you think the Hiphop fan would think "Jesus - that's crap"? I think you (or me for that matter) are biased because we don't like rap, in the same way the rap fan is biased because he doesn't like Classic Rock. I have many friends that really like Hiphop/Rap and I don't tell them every time what crappy music they're listening to, because I know that they enjoy it. And it's the same the other way. We don't discuss our musical tastes (and if then only out of fun). We simply agree to disagree.

Well, it's not just because I don't like it.

It's like disco had a sound that never changed. It never "evolved" if you will, so it (in my opinion) ran it's course, and ran out of gas.

Rock evolves, pop evolves, country evolves, heck even contemporary orchestral music has evolved.

But Hip/hop? The only thing that changed is the lyrics. It all sorta sounds the same. A least as little as I've tolerated to listen to, am I being narrow?

I've been on so many message boards where I've asked people to prove to me that Rap/Hip hop of today doesn't suck. "Give me some great artists" I ask them...sometimes I get answers, listen to their recommendations and think, Jesus-this is crap. I do like a few songs by Outkast I admit, but that is the only modern hip hop act I've even mildly liked--and beleive me I've been open-minded to it, and have looked for it. I keep thinking there must be something there, if all of these people like it.

The problem is that you're asking someone to prove something that isn't provable. It's far too subjective. You can point out that "Oh hey, I like that this song uses a borrowed four chord here and then ends with a Picardy Third. And then later on there is a section that has a twelve-tone row, started by the guitar and later echoed by the piano." All that means is that some thought went into it and the artist used some interesting techniques. It doesn't mean that it's a good song, or that a song that doesn't use the same approach is bad. It just means that possibly the artist knows a little about traditional musical techniques. I know a whole lot about baseball, but I'm not in the big leagues. :)

Your willingness to give something a chance is to be commended, but you either like it or you don't. Your personal taste isn't indicative of quality, and neither is mine.

Many people liking something, as you said, isn't reflective of quality. But music appeals to different people on many different levels. Someone like you, for instance, has obviously studied music for deeper understanding, so it makes sense that you have such opinions of different styles. I'm the same way, having studied music for years to the point of no longer being able to listen casually. And I hate that. But the point is, only a small percentage of music listeners share the same outlook. Most people just like to hear music for what it is - be it nostalgia, relatable emotions or that it's just liberating to dance to.

It nearly kills me to be so open-minded about music, but I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I try to remember that music is as amazing as it is because it's the only thing that everyone experiences and loves. (Well, one of two things, maybe...)

I think I'll stop the rambling now. :)