Whatcha Watchin On TV Now?

_Laurie_

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PBS' "My Music #104: The 60's Experience" which features music and artists from the 1960's, starting of with Roger McGuinn doing "Turn, Turn, Turn!" Unfortunately, this Pledge Week on PBS, which is almost as bad as having this appear on a commercial, with pledge breaks and suggestions that $120+ will get you DVDs, VHS, or a music CD set. At least on this broadcasting-from-New-Jersey show one gets to see what Martha Reeves & The Vandellas haven't lost the beat with "Nowhere To Run." Even Scott McKenzie looks/sounds OK, though he didn't have flowers in his hair when he sang "San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)." So Eric Burdon & The Animals can still do "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" and sound like they mean it. After the next break, John Kay is supposed to sing about driving a 1963 Ford Falcon with wreckless abandon down Thunder Road. (At least that's what I've heard the composer was writing about in "Born To Be Wild.") Nope, Roger McGuinn is singing Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man," which I've always connected with Ganja smoke and Unsafe Sex. Ah, that favorite of Vietnam Grunts...Creedence Clearwater Revival with "Bad Moon Rising." It's on VHS tape, so I could scan past the pledge breaks... :drummer:

Oto...i saw that special on the 60's...i think it's channel 11 here....i always check that channel because they have good music specials....60's was great music huh?...even though my generation was the 70's, i enjoy listening to the 60's....amazing talent compared to some of todays music i think...

so right now on tv im watching discussion on the jackson trial....

It's pledge week here, too. I have seen in the last week:

Eric Clapton's Blues Guitar Festival :rockon:

Springsteen Live in New York :rockon: :rockon:

Sitting throught the pledge guys is a minor distraction, but it's not too bad.

Oh, and as far as the game, I will answer the following way throughout this thread:

A. Baseball

B. NASCAR

C. History Channel

D. The Learning Channel/Discovery Channel/PBS

the rest of tv is a vast wasteland directly contributing to the dumbing down of our country, and I will not watch it unless I can learn something from it, listen to the music, keep score, or count laps.

Right now, A.

OH, okay, so it is sorta like a charity thing? As in people pledge money to worthy causes? Okay, gotcha now. No, we don't have Pledge week here in Oz :(

Not exactly. PBS is a non-profit organization, and they rely on donations from viewers to stay on tv. They must be doing ok, though. I started watching Sesame Street in, oh, 66-67 or so, and I don't ever recall WHYY in Philly ever going off the air once.

oooh edna i loooove desperate housewives!!me and my girls meet up every tuesday in my place for red wine, chocolate and sex & the city repeats followed by desperate housewives! we love it!! the only thing is we're waaay behind so no telling me what happens!!

oooh edna i loooove desperate housewives!!me and my girls meet up every tuesday in my place for red wine, chocolate and sex & the city repeats followed by desperate housewives! we love it!! the only thing is we're waaay behind so no telling me what happens!!

My reaction to that post was first shock, until I read "& the city." It was less than 1/2 a second of shock, but it was shock nonetheless. :laughing:

My reaction to that post was first shock, until I read "& the city." It was less than 1/2 a second of shock, but it was shock nonetheless. :laughing:

hehe! i sent an email to all my friends with something similar written in it and one of the boys quoted the same thing ("meeting the girls for red wine, chocolate & sex"), saying "wow, you've changed!!"

well laurie, i'm in germany right now with my german friends, but i do the same with my irish girls. you're very welcome to join us if you ever find yourself in either of those parts!!