Recommend a CD

DiggsUK

Every now and again I come across a CD I would love others to listen to and enjoy. Does anybody else have one of these in mind right now?

My recommended CD is 'The Soul Sessions' by Joss Stone. I heard this for the first time at the weekend, and bought it today. It is the only time I have bought anything from the 'R & B' section in the shop, and until she does another one it will probably remain as such.

The music is a sublime fusion of soul, jazz and blues, and is my essential CD of the day for eclectic music lovers.

Over to you, pop pickers!

To-day I received Erasure's Chorus. A SynthPop collector probably already has it in their collection, but to those who enjoy upbeat, synthy music from bands like NewOrder, Yazoo, and Duran Duran, this is something you'll have to get - have to. "Breath Of Life" smacks of ol' skool Bronski Beat :headphones: The album is available used at Amazon from separate vendors for about 6 bucks + 2.50 shipping. That's still 2 dollars under what you would pay if you were to go to the store or buy directly from Amazon itself :)

Animals- Pink Floyd. Sometimes I look past the greatness of the album to critisize its overratedness, but it is actually really good, and any person who likes that sort of music should give it a listen.

Fragile- Yes. You have to like that experimental, disjointed sort of rock, but this is a really great album.

The Division Bell- Pink Floyd. Just heard it today. It is like Gilmour's version of WYWH for Waters, and the way he looks back musically on Pink Floyd with little riffs and progressions that sound similar to past PF songs is musical genius. I would reccomend this to any Floyd fan.

I just thought of another 'essential'

The Bends-Radiohead

In my head, this album is pretty freakin' close to perfect, there are hard rocking songs that get ya goin', and then there are the soothing melodic, 'chill' songs (such as 'High and Dry') that you can just listen to over, and over, and over, and over again.

I just thought of another 'essential'

The Bends-Radiohead

In my head, this album is pretty freakin' close to perfect, there are hard rocking songs that get ya goin', and then there are the soothing melodic, 'chill' songs (such as 'High and Dry') that you can just listen to over, and over, and over, and over again.

Second to Ok Computer ::

Charles Mingus: "Mingus Ah Um".

This is the ideal 'easy first step' for anyone who thinks they might like modern jazz but doesn't know where to start. The album is full of cool melodies and is adventurous without being full of weird improvised bits that can put off people who aren't used to that in jazz. Really hip and funky, but for grown-ups. :beatnik:

This one is an educational number for anybody interested in Grunge or rock music in general.

'Funhouse' by the Stooges, released in 1970 is where it all began. IMO the best Stooges album, Funhouse is everything a 'Grunge' album should be. If you like Nirvana and such, you must listen to this, as it will put it all into perspective and make you a better person as a result!

Regards

Everything must go..the Manic Street Preachers

No, no, no. Get teh Steely Dan album of the same name :: :jester:

Monaco. Get Monaco's Music For Pleasure. If you totally go for music by NewOrder, you will like this. Well, there's the obvious reason that Peter Hook (of NewOrder) wurkt on this, but also that it sounds like mid-80s to early-90s NewOrder (a sprinkle of Substance and a dash of Technique with a whole lotta of Republic :headphones: ). I listened to the whole album, but I guess it was the opener, "What Do You Want From Me?" that launched the whole album smoothly into charted territories. This is a notch better than Bernard Sumner's other band, Electronic, although I'd recommend a couple of tunes by him too... in fact, I will. Get Electronic's "Getting Away With It". That song is beautiful, sad, Proustian; it will take you places and back. It's Evian water for the jaded, thirsty ear. Get it! madani.gif

For those of you who mentioned Radiohead, seriously, check out Brave by Marillion. Alot of critics say Ok Computer never would've been written if it weren't for Brave.. The lead singer of Marillion says that he had never listened to Radiohead until a friend at a radio station said that the Radiohead guys were stealing all the promo copies of Brave and raving about it.. So, he bought the Bends and loved it... Anyway, check it out, it's bloody brilliant.

I've been really into Pantera lately, so i'll recommend The best of Pantera. There is a good mix of heavy and sad songs on it. And it comes with a cool DVD.

Hey is that DVD any good? I have all their studio albums and 101 proof, so I didn't see any point in getting a greatest hits album.

• 2 weeks later...

Get Bilingual by The Pet Shop Boys. I'm giving it a second spin right now and it's a schweet-sounding album :headphones: If anything, listen to the song "Before" and you'll see how The Pet Shop Boys discovered a formula that's been working for them since the beginning :)

pertoplay.jpg
Excellent suggestion, bluesboy.

I remember this "We Came To Play" album fondly. Every song is just right. My vinyl is all gone now, but I need to get that CD.

perzaps.jpg Frank Zappa helped The Persuasions get recognized. A while back (I think after Zappa died), The Persuasions made an album of Zappa songs (acapella, of course). I've only heard one tune from it, but it seems like something Zappa fans would really enjoy.