The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #276

Lucky

WELCOME TO THE...

sfc1a-1.png

ALL MEMBERS OF SONGFACTS ARE MOST WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE. The greater the participation, the more diverse, and more representative our top ten list is. We'd like to invite everyone to help us select THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE TOP TEN!

IT'S SIMPLE, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS:

* Nominate two songs that haven't made the Ten before ...

Click here to view Every Song That's Made The Songfactors' Choice Top Tens (Artists).

... And here to view Every Song That's made The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten (Songs)

* When nominations close, choose your favorite Ten songs in order of preference from the Final Nominations and post them here. Points are allotted, 10 for your #1 song, 9 for #2, Etc. and our Top Ten is compiled from them. At the end of the voting period we'll announce The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten For that week.

Nominate Now!

:headphones:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still one of their most popular songs, and the one that put them on the map.

They are so much more talented and well-rounded as artists and musicians than that song would demonstrate. They've spent a quarter of a century backing as far away from that as they possibly can, short of completely retconning their musical catalog. Hell, when they did the Sounds of Science Anthology back in 1999, MCA (Adam Yauch) said they didn't even want to put that song in the tracklisting, but decided at the last minute to put it on there anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, their career started with Paul's Boutique. Once they got away from Rick Rubin's influence, they got better.

It's still one of their most popular songs, and the one that put them on the map.

I can't believe the fans put up with that or do they complain to no avail?

It's like saying to your fans, "we don't care if you like the song and we don't care if you want to hear the song, we're not playing the song for you."

If it was a crappy song that didn't do well and it wasn't a fan favorite, then who would give a crap, but when you've got a song that did well because your fans loved it, wouldn't you play it for them?

After all, if it wasn't for fans, no band would be where they are today and if I was a fan of the Beastie Boys (which I'm not), I would not attend a live show because of that.

Yes, I would want to go to hear all the other songs that I like by them, but the fact that they won't play an enormous fan favorite for me and everyone else at the concert who wants to hear it would make me feel like they don't care about what would make me happy as a fan but only the money that I spent to attend the show.

I can not understand why someone would be embarrased of one of their top hits. :confused:

If you're going to get pissed off that the band you paid money to see isn't doing one song that you want to hear, but doing over 20 more that you DO want to hear, you're not much of a fan, and shouldn't have taken the seat that someone else might have wanted. They haven't done the song live in 25 years. Their fans know this. I haven't read anywhere about fans giving them crap about it, probably because if it's been that long, that ship has sailed and is never returning to port. They have tons of other huge songs for you to enjoy, you're not going to miss that one, no matter how much you may like it.

I don't think people here really give a sh!t as to why the Beastie Boys have disavowed 95% of their first album, but long story short, they were drunken, homophobic, misogynistic, sexist pigs at that time, and they are regretful and embarrassed by that now that they're in their late 40s and husbands and fathers. They don't want to do that material anymore, and the few songs off that album they do perform live, they have to radically alter the lyrics first. They just can't go up there and sing about getting drunk and screwing whores anymore. That's not who they are now, nor who they want to be.

You're not a fan (by your own admission), so you obviously don't know or care about the philosophical and emotional evolution they've made in the last 25 years, but as someone who is a die-hard fan and has been one for nearly 20 years, that evolution means a lot to me, especially as I'm a woman. I can respect someone who can say, "You know what? That was screwed up. I'm sorry I said and did those things. I wish I could take it back, but I can't." I've defended them time and time again to people who have called them talentless hacks, clowns, and far worse, and I'll continue to do so. I don't really care about that. What bothers me are people who don't understand the how and why behind the choices they've made, and then criticize them for said choices.

You said, "If you're going to get pissed off that the band you paid money to see isn't doing one song that you want to hear, but doing over 20 more that you DO want to hear, you're not much of a fan".

I disagree.

I'd say to the band, "if you honestly believe that people will think less of you if you play that song, you're mistaken".

I'm sure there are many fans that don't care if they play it as well as many who wish they would play it.

No matter what their reasoning is, they're still indirectly saying "we don't care if there are fans that want to hear us play it."

I don't think singing a song about a past lifestyle or frame of mind they were in when they performed it would make people will think lowly of them now.

It's all part of songwriting and/or performing. It doesn't mean that you support something just because you sing about it.

The song is still a part of their past and many people love the song.

I'm not dissing just the Beastie Boys here, I'm talking about any and all bands.

My favorite band is AC/DC and if they said they weren't going to play Highway To Hell live anymore because they don't party hard anymore like they used to, I'd say WTF to them too.

It's not about the fans thinking less of them, it's about them thinking less of themselves. It's not just that song, it's 95% of the album it's on. While I agree that song isn't particularly offensive lyrically, when you consider they used to do that song on stage, spraying a half-naked woman in a cage with beer, it's what the song represents to them that bothers them, and why they don't do it.

Also, there's a huge difference between "partying hard" like AC/DC used to and what the Beastie Boys used to rap about. It's okay to get on stage and sing songs about going out and getting drunk with your friends even if you don't do that anymore, it's not okay to get on stage and do songs about disrespecting and objectifying women. So you're comparing apples to oranges here.

I'm just saying, they have real and concrete reasons for not performing a lot of this material anymore that extend far beyond "we're too old for this."

That doesn't make sense to me.

I've read the lyrics to that song and I don't see anything in it that is disrespectful or objectifying to women, only their stage antics they performed during the song are.

So, why can't they just play the song without performing their past stage antics?

This way they're not disrespecting women and they could still play the song for the fans who want to hear it.

That's all I'm saying.

That doesn't make sense to me.

I've read the lyrics to that song and I don't see anything in it that is disrespectful or objectifying to women, only their stage antics they performed during the song are.

So, why can't they just play the song without performing their past stage antics?

This way they're not disrespecting women and they could still play the song for the fans who want to hear it.

That's all I'm saying.

*sigh*

I wasn't talking about just that song. You don't get it. I'm not sure how else I can break it down for you short of kidnapping them and forcing them at gunpoint to explain it to you themselves.

I'm sorry I even said anything about the song in the first place.