The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #229

Lucky

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Just One of Those Things - Billie Holiday (1957)

During her later career Billie surrounded herself with the best musicians of the day(Barney Kessell on guitar, Harry "Sweets" Edison on muted trumpet and Ben Webster on Tenor Sax). Billie's voice is shot from all the heroin use and she relies on gut inspiration. One of the best muted trumpet solos ever.

Grooveshark ... not on youtube

N.I.T.A. ~ Young Marble Giants (1980) youtube

"Welsh New Wave band who shocked the world by being quiet and introspective in an age of loud punk posturing. From the album Colossal Youth on Rough Trade."

and a fun fact: the album in question was recored in 3 and a half days for £1000

Easy ~ Faith No More (1992) youtube

How come we don't have many Faith No More tracks in the Ten? At least in Europe I think this cover was their biggest hit :)

[smaller]

:thumbsup: Good call. Didn't know anyone else liked or even knew this song. I checked it out as soon as I got the album since I live 45 minutes from Baltimore. Little did I know it'd be depressing.

Kinda like Baltimore.

Good thing it's a good song. Will be getting a high vote from me

[/smaller]

The song actually got quite a bit of FM airplay in its day. It was written before downtown Baltimore was redeveloped. Baltimore was terribly depressed through the 70s following the riot in 1968 aroused by the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

[smaller] Random miscellaneous trivia:

Baltimore is the hometown of eccentric movie director John Waters, and it is the setting for almost all of his movies.

The 90s TV series Homicide: Life on the Street, nutured by another Baltimore native film director Barry Levinson, was filmed on-location there. (That show was was the origin of Richard Belzer's Detective Munch character, who latter moved into Law & Order: SVU and shows up in the several of the oddest unrelated projects.) [smaller]