The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #175

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you're just coming across a bit crabby? But, if you say you're not really, well, that's good enough for me. The vagaries of evolving language and the distorting effect of Internet communication can cause such misunderstandings. It happens: there have been times when I've come across as an arrogant, aggressive toss-pot / smart-arse. But I'm not at all like that in real life.

Does this little "to-do" boil down to a simple misunderstanding of the word "sad". The little word "sad" has changed its meaning over the years, such that in this post-modern ironic world, it can often be used to mean "pathetic, loser-ish".

So, the innocent observation "That's sad" can be interpreted by the slightly insecure as a damning personal affront, rather than as meaning, say, the more sympathetic "That's a pity", or "how unfortunate".

If it's any consolation, there are a few of us who have more discerning tastes than everyone else, and frequently struggle to achieve a full Ten of "songs I actually like, and would enjoy listening to again".

there have been times when I've come across as an arrogant, aggressive toss-pot / smart-arse. But I'm not at all like that in real life.

And that -that you' re not like that in real life- can be seen in your posts because you can comunicate, you know how to discuss, you made friends here soon... even the times you seemed all that you say... ;)

Does this little "to-do" boil down to a simple misunderstanding of the word "sad". The little word "sad" has changed its meaning over the years, such that in this post-modern ironic world, it can often be used to mean "pathetic, loser-ish".

So, the innocent observation "That's sad" can be interpreted by the slightly insecure as a damning personal affront, rather than as meaning, say, the more sympathetic "That's a pity", or "how unfortunate".

If you're reading my posts, please keep in mind that English isn't my first language and so you should take my formulations with a pinch of salt.

In fact, when I wrote the original post, I did consider "That's unfortunate" as a possible alternative, but ultimately decided against it (and for "that's sad"), because it reminded me too much of "aww, you poor unfortunate soul :puppyeyes: ", which I really didn't mean to convey...

In general - as in this case - I actually try not to offend anybody with my posts, so I hope nobody was :)

1. Knights Of Cydonia - Muse (2006)

2. King Of The Mountain - Midnight Oil (1990)

3. Drive - REM (1993)

4. Primitive Painters - Felt (1985)

5. Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys (1980)

6. Rag and Bone - The White Stripes (2007)

7. Rock-n-Roll All Nite - KISS (1975)

8. Biding My Time - Pink Floyd (1971)

9. Heartache Tonight - Eagles (1979)

10. Jacket Hangs - The Blue Aeroplanes (1990)

.....and that's all I got. The rest of the songs I've either never heard of or don't like. You should have let more people nominate, there weren't enough songs this time compared to other lists. I mean it sucks when I can't fill out a full list of 10.

Not to stir things up again (yeah, then just don't do it, I know :shades:), but this isn't Martin's fault. Like he said, nominating is open from Monday to Wednesday, and people know that. One week we get 54 nominations, the next 40 - it happens.

If it's any consolation, there are a few of us who have more discerning tastes than everyone else, and frequently struggle to achieve a full Ten of "songs I actually like, and would enjoy listening to again".

Can you not wrap your mind around the fact that everytime you say this, you are telling the rest of us (who love and adore you, btw) that we have crap taste in music?

Come a little closer so I can smack you around a little bit, my darling b-f. Knowing you, you'd probably love the abuse. :shades:

drama drama DRAMA!!!!

B-F, you have perhaps cracked an unintentional insult here and there, but never once have you come across as snarky. And Martin, you have never even cracked an insult, intentional or no.

At least that's how I see you two. So KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE PITY PARTY!!! THAT'S MY PARTY!!! :mad: :beady:

:grin:

1. Holiday In Cambodia - Dead Kennedys

2. Dress - PJ Harvey

3. Rambling Gambling Man - Seger

4. Ballroom Dancing - Sir Paul

5. Rag And Bone - White Stripes

6. Primitive Partners - Felt

7. Drive - REM

8. You Belong To Me - Carly

9. Flashing Lights - Screaming Lord Sutch

10. Stop - Bloomfield/Kooper

1. "Dress" - PJ Harvey (1991)

2. "Drive" - REM (1993)

3. "Block Rockin Beats" - The Chemical Brothers (1997)

4. "Halo" - Depeche Mode (1990)

5. "Sorry For Laughing" - Josef K (1981)

6. Rag and Bone" - The White Stripes (2007)

7. "Young Savage" - Ultravox

8. "You Only Live Twice" - Nancy Sinatra (1966)

9. "Primitive Painters" - Felt (1985)

10. "Holiday in Cambodia" - Dead Kennedys (1980)

I was too busy moving and stuff to nominate, but I'll vote.

1. Holiday In Cambodia - Dead Kennedys

2. Stone Cold Crazy - Queen

3. Drive - REM

4. Knights of Cydonia - Muse

5. Rag And Bone - The White Stripes

6. Man On The Silver Mountain - Rainbow

7. Rock And Roll All Nite - Kiss

8. Heartache Tonight - The Eagles

9. You Make Loving Fun - Fleetwood Mac

10. One Step Up - Bruce Springsteen

1. Stop - Bloomfield/Kooper

2. Let's Get Serious - Jermaine Jackson [smaller] with a little help from Stevie Wonder[/smaller]

3. Pop Muzik - M

4. Stand Tall - Burton Cummings

5. Drive - REM

6. Heartache Tonight - Eagles

7. One Step Up - Bruce Springsteen

8. Holiday In Cambodia - Dead Kennedys

9. You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra

10. Rock And Roll All Night - KISS

1. Primitive Painters - Felt (1985)

2. Jacket Hangs - The Blue Aeroplanes (1990)

3. Drive - REM (1993)

4. Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys (1980)

5. Young Savage - Ultravox! (1977)

6. Halo - Depeche Mode (1990)

7. Rag and Bone - The White Stripes (2007)

8. Block Rockin Beats - The Chemical Brothers (1997)

9. Dress - PJ Harvey (1991)

10. Knights Of Cydonia - Muse (2006)

1) Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys (1980)

2) Dress - PJ Harvey (1991)

3) Young Savage - Ultravox! (1977)

4) Pop Muzik - M (1979)

5) Sorry For Laughing - Josef K (1981)

6) Block Rockin Beats - The Chemical Brothers (1997)

7) Primitive Painters - Felt (1985)

8) Rag and Bone - The White Stripes (2007)

9) Flashing Lights - Screaming Lord Sutch (1970)

10) Jacket Hangs - The Blue Aeroplanes (1990)

Honourable mention: Tyrone - Erykah Badu (1997)

Some great nominations this week people: well done!