Rock songs with the tightest bassline?

golden_ann

Day Tripper & Come Together- The Beatles (Paul McCartney)

Other Beatles' songs with great basslines:

"Drive My Car"

"Paperback Writer"

"Rain"

Non-Beatles' song that has a great bass riff:

"White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)"

[That's the second time I've mentioned that song today. I must get out my 12". Oo-er...]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other Beatles' songs with great basslines:

"Drive My Car"

"Paperback Writer"

"Rain"

Hmmm... I was just listening to "The Ballad Of John And Yoko" and its B-side "Old Brown Shoe". The bass is incredible yet again. In fact, McCartney was absolutely peerless as a bassist. So, anything by The Beatles, with Paul playing bass, just check it out. In the same way that other drummers rate Ringo as a great drummer, so McCartney is sited by other bassists as innovative. I believe he was the first bassist to use his instrument as lead guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Flea does some of his best bass thumping on their cover of "Higher Ground." I'd like to add:

"Rock Lobster" by The B-52s. Once that gets in my head, it clutches tight and won't let go.

"Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes. And they don't even have a bass player.

The Bass line in Seven Nation Army is played on the guitar, not actually a baseline at all

• 1 month later...

I always hear a ton of songs and think "Now this has a cool bassline" and then when I get to this thread, I forget it. Heart of The Sunrise, and Billie Jean are two that come to mind right away, I'm pretty sure I've posted here before. A really cool bassline is at the end of Pigs, where it just does an E minor scale, then does the same scale but starting on C. And he does this thing where he jumps an octave each note. It sounds really cool.

money obviously has one of the bets basslines ever, but theres a great one that i discovered in an already great song. i dont know if any of you have noticed, but sympathy for the devil by the stones has one of the tightest basslines youll ever hear. it starts right when jagger says, "i was round when jesus christ.." listen for it next time you hear the song and youll hear it.

Roundabout - Chris Squire (Yes)

The Lemon Song - John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

My Generation - John Entwistle (The Who)

Money - Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

White Room - Jack Bruce (Cream)

Day Tripper - Paul McCartney (Beatles)

Stand By Me - Wendell Marshall (Ben E King)

Won't Get Fooled Again - John Entwistle (The Who)

White Rabbit - Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplane)

Sweet Child O Mine - Duff McKagan (Guns N Roses)

Another One Bites The Dust - John Deacon (Queen)

Good Times Bad Times - John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

Come Together - Paul McCartney (The Beatles)

The Witch - The Cult (???)

Sunshine Of Your Love - Jack Bruce (Cream)

Touch of Grey - Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead)

Heard It Through The Grapevine - James Jamerson (Marvin Gaye)

Soul To Squeeze - Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Freewill - Geddy Lee (Rush)

Under Pressure - John Deacon (Queen)

WMA - Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam)

LA Woman - The Doors (???)

On the Loose - Saga (???)

Sweet Emotion - Tom Hamilton (Aerosmith)

Down On The Corner - Stu Cook (CCR)

Tom Sawyer - Geddy Lee (Rush)

Machine Head - Bush (???)

Highway Star - Roger Glover - (Deep Purple)

25 or 6 to 4 - Peter Cetera (Chicago)

Eminence Front - John Entwistle (The Who)

Yesterday, i was homew sick, as I am today, and had nothing else to do but mix a cd with these songs. I don't have all of them so i improvised a bit with songs that you can just HEAR the bass, such as Highway Star-Deep Purple. Incidentally, we are studying bass in music class, so I will bring in that cd and have the monkeyteacher (I'm not being mean, She looks like a monkey........ a lot) Convert them on to paper.

Sick Bass Lines

1. Roundabout-Yes

2. Money-Pink Floyd

3. Lithium-Nirvana

4. Highway Star-Deep Purple

5. One Of These Days-Pink Floyd

6. Hey Hey, My My(Into The Black)-Neil Young & Crazy Horse

7. Higher Ground-Red Hot Chili Peppers

8. Manic Depression-Jimi Hendrix

9. Politition-Cream

10.The Canadian Dream-Sam Roberts

11.Spoonful-Cream

12.My Generation-The Who

13.Suck My Kiss-The red Hot Chili Peppers

14.Universally Speaking-The Red Hot Chili peppers (ACCIDENT)

15.Come Together-The Beatles

16.Beautiful Girls-Van Halen

As much of a Floyd fan as I am, I would have to say the bassline to Money is overrated. My friend creams himself over it, he is always saying "It's like Roger Waters put everything he knew about music into that bassline." Not really, I mean it sounds cool, but it's just a basic little blues ditty. Nothing revolutionary. Still, it's on my list of coolest basslines. What time signature is money in? I would say 21/8.

Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits is one hell of a guitarist (IMO); his "fingerpicking" on Sultans of Swing is testament to that, but this song also has a bass line that is actually very good. It's not as prominent as some of the songs we've listed above, but it's not too far behind.