Rock songs with the tightest bassline?

golden_ann

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sensitive", Mick Karn. The bassist of Japan. It´s cover of a song of brezilian singer Roberto Carlos.

I was gonna give up on this topic with all this bs about Pink Floyd and Yes, but this comment brought that thought to a grinding halt. Japan RULZ! :rockon:

As far as bass that kicks ass, I look to Peter Hook of NewOrder ::

I know I've asked this before XXX, but where do you find out about all these obscure bands? I've heard of Japan and Roxy Music but where do you come up with the rest?

:: It's obscure to you because you didn't get the chance to hear them on the radio (80s KROQ and Pirate Radio in the early 90s here in So Cal) or see their music vids on Night Flight or Friday Night Videos. NewOrder was (in my mind it still is) one of the better known bands to come from the 80s. You should give them a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Since you're on a budget, I suggest you begin with a collection of their hits like Substance, International, or The Best Of NewOrder.

:: It's obscure to you because you didn't get the chance to hear them on the radio (80s KROQ and Pirate Radio in the early 90s here in So Cal) or see their music vids on Night Flight or Friday Night Videos. NewOrder was (in my mind it still is) one of the better known bands to come from the 80s. You should give them a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Since you're on a budget, I suggest you begin with a collection of their hits like Substance, International, or The Best Of NewOrder.

There was such a great music scene in the 80´s... even I can hardly recall. Just like John, Paul, George, Yourself and Ringo would say, "Your mother should know"... you´re lucky, Dannyboy, you still have great music to discover. We can lend a hand and we will! :coolio: :coolio:

• 1 month later...

My "old school" votes":

"The Magnificent Dance" by the Clash

"Sleepless" by King Crimson

"Voices Inside My Head" by the Police

"Low Rider" by War

"Sample and Hold" by Neil Young

"Riders On the Storm" by The Doors

"Whipping Post" (primarily the intro) by the Allman Brothers

"I'm a Man" by Chicago

Anything by Rush (unless it's heavy on synth but it's still awesome) especially The Big Money and Marathon

Aerosmith- Sweet Emotion

Yes- Roundabout

The Divine Comedy- Gin Soaked Boy

U2- Vertigo

Dream Theater- Metropolis Pt 1 (and more)

Geddy Lee (solo)- My Favorite Headache

Genesis- Invisible Touch

The Moody Blues- Question

The Rolling Stones- Sympathy for the Devil

A lot of my own bass lines (I'm the bassist as well as keyboards and lead vocals) are really thick too, maily on my progressive rock songs, the more pop/rock ones use moderate bass lines and the soft rock ones I'm mainly on piano and the only bass is from the lower keys.