The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #91

Lucky

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy, I have never omitted any artist from my Top Ten because I feel they are over-represented. I like Honky Tonk Women and many other songs from the Stones and I have voted for them when they have been nominated. My comment after my vote was more to say "yeah, yeah, everyone else voted for it too, but I really like it"

I nominate what I like and I vote what I like....plain and simple.

And like I promised, the very interesting points: (I think so anyway)

:headphones:

I think so too, Fin! :)

Prepare to be shocked... I'd have preferred if Honky Tonk Women (not my fav Stones Song, but my first) and Beautiful Loser (NOT because I nominated it, I love the song) were switched, but regardless, a very nice ten! I love all the songs! :)

[smallest]10. The Bottle - Gil Scott-Heron

9. Cut Across Shorty - Rod Stewart

8. Mockingbird - Inez and Charlie Foxx

7. Can't Get It Out Of My Head - Electric Light Orchestra

6. Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo - Rick Derringer

5. Mystic Eyes – Them

4.. Heaven Beside You - Alice In Chains

3. O' Lucky Man - Alan Price

2. Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On - Jerry Lee Lewis

1. I Can't Explain - The Who[/smallest]

:doh: I numbered my songs from ten to one! That was supposed to be one to ten. Bummer.

I did not nominate Honky Tonk Women because I wanted it to make this Top Ten list. At the risk of incurring the wrath of Sammy, I am not a huge Stones fan. I nominated the song because it is one of about 6 Stones songs that I really, really like. I was amazed when I found out that it had never been nominated. My philosophy is to nominate songs that I like. It they happen to make it onto a Top Ten list, great. If not, so be it. I also tend to nominate songs with which others are familiar. This is becoming increasingly difficult as we have gone through so many well known songs. In future, I may begin to nominate songs that are not well known. I will be gratified if I am able to turn even one person onto any of those songs. Because of Katie Sane and Peaches, Khe Sanh and Tell Me are now on my Ipod playlists.

Thanks Phil. :) I hope you had a great Birthday Mate.

Ian, there's no need for you or anyone else to feel 'guilty' about nominating a good song. I'd rather see that than little known (or unknown) B sides and Album Tracks that just 'make up the numbers'.

We had some people wanting to nominate Operas from Centuries ago, Big Band Swing numbers, etc. which to my mind don't belong in what is essentailly a Pop/Rock Top Ten. That's why I made a 1955 'cutoff', which was later relaxed so some older 'forerunners of Rock and Roll' could be nominated, and now we just leave it to your common sense.

If you start to look at the Songfacts Daily Top Ten and think "gee it's a lot better than ours" - well, you'll know the plot's been lost and defeated the pupose of starting theSongfactors' Choice Top Ten 20 months ago.

Also, I'd suggest the occasional "NO #1s" Top Ten (say one in every 5 or so) and nominate whatever you like in the others. If people want that, please tell Lucky, Laurie or Fintan and I'm sure they'll oblige.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year To All.