The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #91

Lucky

A no #1's Top Ten is something we can always do, that's no problem at all. Maybe we will plan one soon.

I'm a supporter of let the people nominate what they want though. Look, we are 91 weeks in to this, and have just now gotten around to the Stone's Honky Tonk Women, one of their most famous songs. Obviously many people like it, or it wouldn't be in the #1 spot. We seem to have this discussion every so often. The fact is, The Stones and Beatles made some great music, that is who they are for pete's sake. Everyone seems to have a bit of a strategy as to how they nominate and vote. For some, that strategy is no strategy at all. They just go with what they like. I've stated mine too many times. I don't nominate songs by those two bands, but if someone does, and it's a song I like, I'm GOING to vote for it. Period. If I, or someone else nominates a song that is has been less commercially successful, but is (in my opinion) a great song, I'm going to vote for that, as well. I've got lots of songs in my mental music library that I love. It tickles me silly when I find that someone else knows and loves the same song.

The deal is this is a Top Ten for songs, not artists. Problem is, there are a few artists that have a great many universally liked songs. It somehow seems unfair to prejudice yourself against a song, just because it was produced by a very prolific artist. Just nominate and vote for the songs you like, and the whole thing will go along nicely, I believe.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I'd suggest the occasional "NO #1s" Top Ten (say one in every 5 or so) and nominate whatever you like in the others. If people want that, please tell Lucky, Laurie or Fintan and I'm sure they'll oblige.

you can tell me too, I was always a fan of No #1s TT... :):P

...and even if not, it's not like I don't care what people think :stars:

I'm not going to repost what Lucky said but I agree and would like to add. Extremely popular bands like The Beatles,Stones,Pink Floyd etc only put out a certain number of songs. Soon we will run out of their songs and move on.

Pink Floyd is my favorite band The Beatles are next. There have been songs nominated by both bands that I haven't voted on because I didn't care for the songs. I am not a Stones fan really much at all but like someone else said, there are a few songs by them I love. I never vote on a song because of my like or dislike of the band. I vote strictly on the nominated song.

I don't like heavy metal music either but Metallica made #7 on my list and shocked even me. I really like that song. I think it would be a shame not to vote on a song just because the band is so popular. It really kind of doesn't make a lot of since to me and in my opinion defeats the purpose of even having a top ten. Of course we're going to have a lot of legendary bands that top the lists. If we didn't I think I would have to question our tastes in music :grin:

Now that I've put my 2 cents worth in I'll move on to why I came to this thread to post :grin:

We are supposed to have possible hurricane strength winds here tonight and our power could be down for a few days. I was wondering if someone would post my nominations for me if need be.

We have a generator but I'm not sure if I'll make it online soon enough to put my noms up. We may be ok it's hard to say. I have everything ready I just may need someone to post them before the deadline for me if I don't make it back. Any volunteers? I'm pretty sure I will be back in time to vote if this happens.

DH says he will hook my pc into the generator but I'm not so sure about that.

My daughter wants me to set her up with an acct. so she can do the tens :thumbsup: maybe she'll get hooked on the site like mom :grin:

We have a generator but I'm not sure if I'll make it online soon enough to put my noms up. We may be ok it's hard to say. I have everything ready I just may need someone to post them before the deadline for me if I don't make it back. Any volunteers? I'm pretty sure I will be back in time to vote if this happens.

you can PT them to anyone of the Top Ten team, Lucky, Fin, Laurie or myself :) :thumbsup:

hope you stay safe :)

Thanks Farin. I'm hoping for the best. It's also snowing here now and they say for the next three to four days we will get 3 to 4 inches of rain :puppyeyes: I tell ya our weather is getting stranger and stranger. I live in Oregon and it rains alot so thats nothing new. But a big storm with very high winds, snow and rain is not the norm.

Oh sorry seeker I didn't scroll high enough to see your post. Thank you to :grin:

Edited by Guest
didn't see the seeker :grin:

Ok enough of this foolishness. Lets close things down here and move on shall we?

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #91 for the week ending 2nd December 2007

1. Honky Tonk Women - The Rolling Stones (1969)

2. Can't Get It Out Of My Head - Electric Light Orchestra (1974)

3. Beautiful Loser - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band (1975)

4. I Can't Explain - The Who (1965)

5. I'm Eighteen - Alice Cooper (1971)

6. Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels) - Jim Croce (1972)

7. Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC (1977)

8. Just A Song Before I Go - Crosby, Stills and Nash (1977)

9. Father And Son - Cat Stevens (1970)

10. Brandy (You're A Fine Girl) - Looking Glass (1972)

:headphones:

Maybe we can make Top Ten #92 a very diverse one! :)