So much more than Random Thoughts

_Laurie_

I'm sure someone's made this comment before: Rockband has really opened up "older/classic" music to youngsters. My daughter would have never considered listening to Nirvana and Pearl Jam (just to name a couple) if it weren't for the likes of Rockband and Guitar Hero.

Today she convinced her 10 year old brother to play RB and I overheard him saying..."Okay, but I DON'T want to play Aqualung..." I didn't know who Jethro Tull was when I was his age!

Why don't we just declare tipping 'out of style ' or a dead practice ? Pay people more accordingly , then , and if you still wish to tip , that's one's choice; but not an expectation - say for an enjoyable experience or one is just feeling flush .

Generally ,I think people prefer to pay somewhat near what they think the stated prices to be , rather than worrying about tips , service charges , etc .

Personally ,I'd like tipping to be an act of over generosity and goodwill for work well done rather than a customary burden . " I got a tip ! " should be a statement of pride for service over and above the norm ( or occasionally luck ) rather than an expectation . I think this would keep around the better staff , while the others would eventually hit the road .

4.00/hour would suck. :P

Indeed it would. Better incentive to do the job well. :beatnik:

My brother was a food server for many years in his 20s and always brought home a lot of money in tips. He was very good at what he did.

Of course, a lot of it has to do with the type of restaurant you work in... the higher the prices, the bigger the tip.

I have a sister in law that is a "professional watress", meaning she's been doing it her entire adult life and is very good at her job. She works for Cracker Barrel (hugely popular & busy, low prices), and brings home anywhere from 100-150$ a day in tips alone. That's some hustle. ;)

I'm still not keen on a restaurant automatically adding a tip because of a "large" party. I understand some people will not tip the acceptable 15%...but some will tip more. I took our a party of 10 yesterday and the bill with 15% added in was around $260. The food was OK. Service was OK...but not over the top. By handing me a bill with the tip added, I was inclined to not add more money. I didn't.

I wouldn't either. I like the idea that I am rewarding the server for good service. :P

We went out to dinner this weekend, and tipped more than 15% because we had incredibly good service. I prefer that option, and it actually provides my server with constructive feedback.

^ When I waitressed, we made less than minimum wage, so we had to report at least enough to make up the difference. It was "encouraged" that we reported a certain percentage of the total amount of checks we brought in. I was a fantastic waitress and made piles of money. I had low self-esteem and would kill myself to please my customers. And no, I don't mean that way, Sammy.

On a different random note, the normally sweet and precious 5 year old Peachlette told me last night she was going to sign me up for a bloody nose. I wasn't sure if I was offended by the threat or proud that she was funny about it. Damn kids.

That is funny, Kari! I dont know where they come up with half the stuff they say. I came downstairs to take Mya to school yesterday, and I was wearing a denim jacket. Mya looked at me and then announced that I looked like Thomas Jefferson. I was not quite sure how to take that!

We just had a tornado warning for my town and the first thing I did was put some pants on. Y'know, in case the roof flew off and I had to run around in my drawers. It's refreshing to know that my priorities are in order. :doh:

Remember-Take your teeth out and put your curlers in, then you will be ready for when the news crew comes to the trailer court.