So much more than Random Thoughts

_Laurie_

I remember so many of you just wishing - dreaming ,infact , of a proper life to be lived in North Dakota . This is truly a shame - go West / Central - young folk ! Thar's gold in them thar hills !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090316/ts_alt_afp/useconomyjobscompany

You may think I'm putting down N. Dakota -I assure I am not .

Edited by Guest

My sister used to live in Bismark, ND.

I'll say this, it's bitterly cold in the winter. So cold that you have to have a plug to warm your engine block in your vehicle.

But, it has one of the most beautiful skies, comparable to Montana and has most likely the most native American reservations which allowed me to meet a lot of very special people that taught me a different outlook on life in general.

Though, you'll see tumbleweeds (kinda like a ghost town) because I chased one for three blocks and still have it in the corner of my living room. It makes for a great conversation piece, even more than artwork I spent a lot of money on!

The best things in life are free; just like tumbleweeds.

:)

Aye. The best thing about living in a smaller prairie town is that your very existence is of some note to some folk there. People know you - or want to , for better or worse . It's a life worth living and often scorned by people living an impersonal life in a colder ( metaphorically ) place .

Der prairies uber alles ! :D

Another thing about the prairies : you'll have little or no fear of death . The immensity of nature and it's fury , at times , will overwhelm you and you will not be thinking about saving money to stick your head in some futuristic tank for $200,000 : beauty and terror , as it should be ! It's lovely - and fair. :laughing:

Giving in is giving up . Model oneself in the way of the 'better people' - our forefathers - who didn't give in to setbacks , by necessity . There was no other option .

Sickly , I'm enjoying this recession/depression : who will make it - and if they don't ... c'est la vie . Save your money has been common sense since the '30s: don't gamble . Maybe history will come back into vogue instead of being despised .

Even George Washington felt bad when he chopped down the cherry tree; but he didn't lie about it.

Thomas Jefferson thought he wouldn't be able to complete Monticello because of the intricate roof design.

James Madison almost didn't appear for the signing of the Declaration of Independence; but he did.

Even Jesus wept!

Anyway, we all have our good and bad days.

What's important, IMHO, is that we learn from both.

:)

Feeling bad is not the problem -it's letting it linger into your everyday existence with others . It's a fact that while others have an enormous amount of sympathy to draw on , they become somewhat annoyed if that is taken to extreames , and admire, as well as prefer, someone who can cheer not only themselves up , but others as well based on whatever hardships.

People prefer to look up to someone who seems to be managing, rather than have to consistantly be aware and take care of the troubles they have been through . We used to call them heroes , but now the word is used so loosely it could apply to someone standing on the street .

Edited by Guest

So... last night when I described myself (to someone who felt I was a little abrasive !!) as "really just a marshmallow," my BFF from 7th grade chimes in, "Yeah, like a toasted marshmallow. One that you've held over the campfire too long. Really crispy on the outside."

:goof:

Shannon, Fin, and my father in law all share a birthday! Bill turns 83 today. He celebrated by singing at his own birthday party at Catalina Bar & Grill in Hollywood last night. Oh yeah, his cd is still doing pretty well....#15 on the jazz charts.