Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees...well kind of Rock and Roll!

Sweet Jane 61

I think one of the things is influence... if you look at the past few years, a lot is rap and the like, and those artists are influenced by other rappers, or just bands like the Beastie Boys (depends on how far you go back, of course). So I think over time the number of really influential artists included more and more rappers and less rock bands, simply because rap grew rapidly. I think that's what the Hall takes into consideration, and not just bands which can be defined as rock'n'roll.

(right thread this time! :P )

I think in the beginning of the hall, it was all about rock and roll, what most of us consider rock and roll. Look at the artists who were inducted within the first few years. And yes rock and roll does cover a broad area, but shouldn't there be a line drawn and say ok this artist really doesn't come close to rock or rock and roll?? I mean will we see the day when Britney and others like her get a nomination???

:stars:

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree that rock music has influenced some rap artists,I don't think there has been any rap artists that have influenced rock music to the point of being inducted to the hall.As been said before,the hall was a great idea in the beginning but now they are letting people in with no just cause.In this thread we have been talking mainly about The Beastie Boys but it's just as bad,in my opinion,to have Donna Summer and Madonna nominated. :thumbsdown:

Oh I agree, and the members need to get the correct meaning of how artists are nominated so we can understand the complete process from their point of view on what they consider to be rock and roll, because right now I don't understand at all what the members consider rock and roll or rock for that matter.

I think we should start the official Songfactor's Music Hall of Fame. And by we, I mean somebody other than myself. :grin:

Great idea. And not only list nominations but also say why you think they should be in the hall.

I can't wait to hear the response from Farin and blind-fitter when I nominate Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Eagles. :laughing: :laughing:

ahem.... :shades: Mr. Martin. Have you forgotten that this lil' 'ol country rock lovin' girl from Misery.... just happens to also love Beck?? I might also add that Miss Loretta Lynn (you do know who she is??) also really loves The White Stripes.

Sorry. I know this is not my conversation. I have broken my 10,000 post silence....I can't stand it any longer!!!!=:P :grin:

What have I always said about opening your mind...and your ears.... ;)

Edited by Guest

I would reply that I don't care much for Southern Rock :P

what would you say if I nominated Beck and the White Stripes?

you know, something just occured to me... would you call this singing style "Rap"? ;) :grin:

Just because an artist is "talking" in a song it doesn't make it rap. But if you think it does,and you say you don't like southern rock,check out the song "Uneasy Rider" by The Charlie Daniels band. Guess you could call that tune "Southern Rock Rap". May make you a southern boy. ;)

Just because an artist is "talking" in a song it doesn't make it rap. But if you think it does,and you say you don't like southern rock,check out the song "Uneasy Rider" by The Charlie Daniels band. Guess you could call that tune "Southern Rock Rap". May make you a southern boy. ;)

Yay!!! Old Charlie never woulda guessed, huh?? :)

ahem.... :shades: Mr. Martin. Have you forgotten that this lil' 'ol country rock lovin' girl from Misery.... just happens to also love Beck?? I might also add that Miss Loretta Lynn (you do know who she is??) also really loves The White Stripes.

Sorry. I know this is not my conversation. I have broken my 10,000 post silence....I can't stand it any longer!!!!=:P :grin:

What have I always said about opening your mind...and your ears.... ;)

well, but you should also know that this lil' 'ol country rock lovin' girl from Misery is a LOT more open minded about music than most people on SF (I won't exclude yours truly here) :shades:

but Mr. blue'n'white and me already had a talk about Mr. Hansen (Beck) a few weeks ago

and would that be THE Loretta Lynn who proclaimed that Jack White is her "Best friend forever" and who worked together frequently and covered some songs of each other? ;)

PS I feel honoured that this was your 10001th post :bow: ;)

Rapping is the rhythmic spoken delivery of rhymes and wordplay

JFK blown away, what else do I have to say? :shades:

I listened to the song, and it is indeed a rap, in my opinion at least

(one of) the problem is, as with most Country songs, that they simply don't speak to me, I don't get the whole cowboy thing, it's just too far from my experiences, knowledge and culture. And that causes that in this example I would more identify to "them long haired, hippy-type, pinko fags" then to the protagonist or the other people

Edited by Guest
fixed code

Of Skynyrd I would say, "I've only ever heard "Freebird" and it sucked, but it gave me an idea of what they're about, so presumably, the rest of their stuff sucks equally badly".

Of The Eagles, I would say, "I haven't heard much by The Eagles either, though obviously I know "Hotel California". Having my roots in the industrial north of England and musical roots in punk rock, this music doesn't really speak to me culturally; on balance, given the choice, I can think of a thousand things I would rather listen to, one of which is the sound of my own spleen exploding".

If I were then told that these were actually two fantastic, critically acclaimed and greatly-influential, "top of their tree" bands, composed only of richly gifted musicians and songwriters, and that these factors, coupled with their longstanding popularity with the American people surely command due respect and possibly even an Award in acknowledgement, I would respond by saying "Fine baby, if that's the bag you're into. You'll get no argument from me".

'Cos I'm easy-going like that.

well, but you should also know that this lil' 'ol country rock lovin' girl from Misery is a LOT more open minded about music than most people on SF (I won't exclude yours truly here) :shades:

but Mr. blue'n'white and me already had a talk about Mr. Hansen (Beck) a few weeks ago

and would that be THE Loretta Lynn who proclaimed that Jack White is her "Best friend forever" and who worked together frequently and covered some songs of each other? ;)

PS I feel honoured that this was your 10001th post :bow: ;)

Why yessireee bob, that would be THAT Miss Loretta Lynn. The QUEEN of Country Music! :)

And flattered you should be, indeed!! :)

This is a cultural thing that you aren't going to get Martin. Most of us (yeah, I do consider myself southern) that heard that song as an almost anthem (much in the way of Long Haired Country Boy) were of the "long haired hippie type pinko fag" variety. That's what made the song so cool. Just 'cause we're from the south doesn't mean we have green teeth or the Confederate Flag hangin' on our wall inside our garage! Interesting thought, that song being a Rap. :)

I think Peaches has hit the nail on the head. The problem lies not with who gets inducted into it, the problem lies with the name. It SHOULD be the Music Hall of Fame. This entire, wonderful thread of discussion ( I use that somewhat loosely! :) ) would never have happened, and it was great!

If someone does decide to begin Peaches little project... I nominate b-f and blue to be co-chairs! :)