Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees...well kind of Rock and Roll!

Sweet Jane 61

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may change my opinion that rap may be a "style" of music if you change your opinion that rap,hip hop,disco artists shouldn't be in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That takes us full circle.

only if I get the Atlantic Avenue and the Waterworks :stars:

but seriously - did I ever say that? :shades:

I typed this, then got called away. So it's probably too late in the discussion. What the hell, it's a bunch of gibberish anyway. :)

---

It seems that people who are not fans of rap feel that way for two reasons:

1. "Not music"

2. "Threatening lyrics"

I disagree on both counts. Music at its most fundamental is comprised of two elements - rhythm and melody. I don't think anyone can argue that rap doesn't have rhythm to spare. As far as melody...certainly there isn't as much melody to be found in rap as in a Beatles song, but it is there, and it's integral to the genre. I defy anyone to listen to "Roses" or "The Whole World" by Outkast, "Girls" by the Beastie Boys (gasp!) or even "Lose Yourself" by Eminem and then tell me there's no melody. The difference is that the melody is typically reserved for the "choruses" of the songs, usually referred to as "the hook". The bulk of the song is made of the rap, but what you remember is the hook. If someone asks you to sing "She Loves You" by The Beatles, are you going to sing the "You think you lost your love..." melody? No, you're going to sing the "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah..." part - "the hook". I'm not saying that Eminem is superior to the Beatles because he's more economical melodically. They're just different styles and approaches.

As for the lyrics part...okay, they're not always something kids should hear, and not everyone can relate to the subject matter. But the same goes for most tv shows and movies. I've never beaten somebody up or drank Cristal, but I've also never been to space or been a sniper. In no way does that affect how much entertainment I get out of it. People need to realize that acting is a big part of the "offensive" hip-hop you hear. Like visual entertainment, it provides escapism. 50 Cent isn't going to shoot you, he wants to sell you Vitamin Water.

Edited by Guest
Farin saved me

Well after a good night's sleep I am once again here ready to inject my thoughts on some posts that were left in my absence overnight. First,nobody can convince me that "We Didn't Start The Fire" is a rap song. Similiar to rap maybe but I think those who think that it is rap are trying to convince others,and maybe themselves,that rap music and rap artists should be held in the same regard as other musicians including rock,which I of course disagree.I also agree with Lucky that most southerners in the 70's could relate to the "long haired,hippie type pinko fags" of that era and were no doubt a member of that "club",including myself, but not the KU Klux Klan.No confederate or commie flags were ever in my garage,although I knew some folks who proudly displayed the "stars and bars." It is about culture and I have to say I miss the music of that culture and of that era,meaning southern rock,because it just aint bein' made today.

What is rap then , and what does it have that We Didn;t Start The Fire doesn;t have? And have you ever thought about the fact that music changes over time, and that rap certainly didn't sound like 50 Cent from the beginning on?

I typed this, then got called away. So it's probably too late in the discussion. What the hell, it's a bunch of gibberish anyway. :)

---

It seems that people who are not fans of rap feel that way for two reasons:

1. "Not music"

2. "Threatening lyrics"

I disagree on both counts. Music at its most fundamental is comprised of two elements - rhythm and melody. I don't think anyone can argue that rap has rhythm to spare. As far as melody...certainly there isn't as much melody to be found in rap as in a Beatles song, but it is there, and it's integral to the genre. I defy anyone to listen to "Roses" or "The Whole World" by Outkast, "Girls" by the Beastie Boys (gasp!) or even "Lose Yourself" by Eminem and then tell me there's no melody. The difference is that the melody is typically reserved for the "choruses" of the songs, usually referred to as "the hook". The bulk of the song is made of the rap, but what you remember is the hook. If someone asks you to sing "She Loves You" by The Beatles, are you going to sing the "You think you lost your love..." melody? No, you're going to sing the "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah..." part - "the hook". I'm not saying that Eminem is superior to the Beatles because he's more economical melodically. They're just different styles and approaches.

As for the lyrics part...okay, they're not always something kids should hear, and not everyone can relate to the subject matter. But the same goes for most tv shows and movies. I've never beaten somebody up or drank Cristal, but I've also never been to space or been a sniper. In no way does that affect how much entertainment I get out of it. People need to realize that acting is a big part of the "offensive" hip-hop you hear. Like visual entertainment, it provides escapism. 50 Cent isn't going to shoot you, he wants to sell you Vitamin Water.

please just imagine a couple dozen of what I'll substitute with three :bow: :bow: :bow:

I've read that two times now, and the only single statement I can't agree with at all is the third sentence in the first paragraph ;) :grin:

Now see. You're beginning to come around. You agree it's "not music". :happybanana: You deserve a treat,so listen to some Skynyrd and get you some fried chicken and taters. That's what us southern folk do. :elvis:

So you just start a debate with everyone and once you run out of arguments you just post replies like this one? :crazy:

So you just start a debate with everyone and once you run out of arguments you just post replies like this one? :crazy:

No,it's called a lame attempt at humor. Somebody said it was getting a bit serious on here so that's why I said that. Me run out of arguments? Now you are the one who must be kidding,right?

No,it's called a lame attempt at humor. Somebody said it was getting a bit serious on here so that's why I said that. Me run out of arguments? Now you are the one who must be kidding,right?

No, sorry, I don't think anything in this topic is particularly funny, for several reasons. :crazy: (no I am not insulting your sense of humour)

Apart from that, I agree with Radhi and Martin. :P

Well I think those who consider my arguments to be bad believe that because I don't agree with their arguments. Do I think they make bad arguments? No not really,although some go to great lenghts to "Google" and "Wikopedia" anything and everything in order to,in their view,make a good argument. I go by more with how I feel and really don't find the need to look up something from somewhere to back up my statements. If there are those who disagree with me,fine.It makes for a great discussion and I have enjoyed the past few days on here because of this one thread. I like poking fun too but I'm not making fun of anybody. I often poke fun at myself,like the "chicken and taters" comment I made about being southern.It's all part of it. So go ahead and take apart this thread and pull certain words or phrases from it to prove whatever you may think you are right about. Lots are good at that on here. :)