Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees...well kind of Rock and Roll!

Sweet Jane 61

We're a passionate bunch. :)

Look, nobody is finding fault with you for having an opinion. But if one of us repeatedly said that Billy Joel or Lynyrd Skynyrd* was not music or crap, wouldn't you want to defend your taste? That's all we're doing.

*I think you've stated admiration, but can't honestly remember.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're a passionate bunch. :)

Look, nobody is finding fault with you for having an opinion. But if one of us repeatedly said that Billy Joel or Lynyrd Skynyrd* was not music or crap, wouldn't you want to defend your taste? That's all we're doing.

*I think you've stated admiration, but can't honestly remember.

Believe me,many including myself have defended Lynyrd Skynyrd and others. I don't care if people want to listen to rap. That's fine and I admire their passion for defending it. But when I am told those rap artists,or some of them,deserve to be in a Hall of Fame along side Skynyrd,Joel and others,I will argue untill I am blue in the face that they don't belong there or to be even mentioned in the same breath,as far as music ability or talent.

I think we may have just had a breakthrough. Two different issues have been discussed.

1] Rap should not be in the R&R HOF. I think that despite all of the pro-Beastie talk, the consensus is that rap, although a viable genre of music, should have its own HOF. Case closed.

2] The tenacious Mr. b&w has said that although he does not like it (and by God, he doesn't have to, he did recognize it as a form of music), which was all that was asked for in the first place. Case closed.

So what in the &*^% are we still fussing about? Criminy, someone hand me a Tums. I've got agita.

I found a pretty interesting article today while surfing around, completely by accident. Now, it's just one journalist' point of view, and it's from FOX news, and we all know they are slightly biased but, it's pretty interesting, and has a bit of something for people on either side of this discussion. Since I think we can all agree on one thing, the selection "process" doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. This guy lays out just why it doesn't make much sense. If you have a minute read it, and read all the way through, 'cause some of the best parts are at the end...

Boycott Rolling Stone

Fox News wants me to boycott Rolling Stone? Just another reason to keep renewing my subscription.

Anyways, I am a bit puzzled by the "us vs them" mentality here. I think Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, the Allman Bros, etc are brilliant. I also think Public Enemy, The Roots, The Beastie Boys, etc are brilliant. I suppose I should be institutionalized for musical schizophrenia?

:laughing:

I don't know about boycotting, or listening to Fox... :P but Rolling Stone IS a somewhat different magazine than it used to be, that is true. I just thought that some of the background stuff was interesting, and the people who aren't there as opposed to those who are. I was surprised! :P

I can't find the exact quote, but an interviewer once asked Fats Domino in the mid 50s 'how do you like playing this new Rock and Roll'?

Fats reportedly said, smilingly, 'I been playin' it for the last 10 years and as long as they buy my records, I don't care what they call it'.

:headphones: