Zep vs. The Who

Batman

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what makes you and others not the "general public"? Just because you don't listen to anything on the weekly top 40? And those people who are listening to the music on the above list know nothing about music because they like those songs? Who are you to judge what's good music and what isn't? And who are you to tell somebody that because they listen to those songs that mean's they don't know anything about music? I don't think you or anybody else on here are the judge and jury as to what is "good" music and what isn't.

did you drink a bit too much coffee? geez calm down a bit, will you :P

to answer your questions:

yes, the fact that most of us in this forum don't listen to the current Top 40 seperates us from the majority of music listeners (otherwise these songs wouldn't be in the Top 40)

I didn't say that, they probably only know not much of music beyond the Top 40 (or 100)...

I didn't claim that...

and I never said such a thing either (you can take my first comment as an answer to that)

you know, contrary to popular belief, I'm not god. When I say a band makes "good music" then that's a personal opinion, nothing more, but certainly nothing less. We're on a Music Discussion Forum, so I will discuss Music, and one of the main points of Discussion is stating one's opinion and backing it up with facts.

and who cares how many hits an artist has? the general public wouldn't know good music if it bit them in the ass.

So did the general public get more stupid? Forty years ago the general public liked the Beatles, today it's Beyonce or whoever... I got the impression that you don't think liking the Beatles is stupid, so today's youth must suffer from some sort of collective lack of intelligence.

contrary to popular belief, I'm not god.

What?? :blush: So you lied to me? :shades:

When I say a band makes "good music" then that's a personal opinion

That is true. :cool: Martin and I are good friends, I love The Bee Gees and he loves Gorillaz but we´re still friends... :cool: :cool:

So did the general public get more stupid? Forty years ago the general public liked the Beatles, today it's Beyonce or whoever... I got the impression that you don't think liking the Beatles is stupid, so today's youth must suffer from some sort of collective lack of intelligence.

it has nothing to do with intelligence, but more about music as an industry, imho...

in Germany we have only two music TV channels left (2 years ago it were 4 or 5 ) - both belong to MTV, now the only thing a producer has to do is give a song enough airplay and I can guarantee you that even a mediocre song can get to #1 with ease...

Edited by Guest

"What the World Needs Now is Love"

What the world needs now is love, sweet love

It's the only thing that there's just too little of

No not just for some but for everyone.

Lord, we don't need another mountain

There are mountains and hillsides enough to climb

There are oceans and rivers enough to cross

Enough to last till the end of time.

No, not just for some but for everyone.

Lord, we don't need another meadow

There are cornfields and wheat fields enough to grow

There are sunbeams and moonbeams enough to shine

Oh listen Lord, if you want to know.

No, not just for some

Oh, but just for everyone.

did you drink a bit too much coffee? geez calm down a bit, will you :P

to answer your questions:

yes, the fact that most of us in this forum don't listen to the current Top 40 seperates us from the majority of music listeners (otherwise these songs wouldn't be in the Top 40)

I didn't say that, they probably only know not much of music beyond the Top 40 (or 100)...

I didn't claim that...

and I never said such a thing either (you can take my first comment as an answer to that)

you know, contrary to popular belief, I'm not god. When I say a band makes "good music" then that's a personal opinion, nothing more, but certainly nothing less. We're on a Music Discussion Forum, so I will discuss Music, and one of the main points of Discussion is stating one's opinion and backing it up with facts.

I am very calm and I don't drink coffee. I too am stating my opinions although with very few facts. Usually opinions on such things as musical preferences contain very little facts so I guess I don't have a detailed list of facts to back up my point that music is all about what a person likes and if they like it,then nobody should care. It's their choice. My last comment on this since I have taken away from the original point of this thread. For that I appologize.

Don't apologize BnW...SF is a place where even a new member can come in and strongly voice his or her opinions on any musical topic. A little sparring is good to keep the dust from settling anyway.

Welcome and please hang around...

Thanks for the welcome and I think I will stay around this site for awhile.As far as which group is better,The Who or Led Zepp,I couldn't choose.They both are great in their own right. You could say The Who may have been a little more inventive but I think Led Zepp may have defined "hard rock" in the decade of the 70's.

I don't think it has to do with intelligence, I think it has to do with suggestibility (spelling?) when it comes to marketing. I think the youth of today are as easily influenced by the music industry as they were in the 60's, it's just that in the 60's the music industry usually promoted better music. For instance, in the early 60's, the music industry sold the Beatles' good looks and image, which teen girls bought, and conveniently they were musically talented as well, which is what gave them lasting appeal. It seems as if today, the music industry has decided to only sell looks, and they've forgotten about the "musical talent" part, because I just don't think they really care about lasting appeal. In today's world, things become popular and then unpopular in the blink of an eye, so all the music industry really needs to do is sell something superficial like an image, and then find another image to sell.

General public? So what do you consider yourself? Just because a artist makes music that people actually spend money to buy doesn't mean it isn't good music.Look at the daily top 10 on this board.Are you telling me that the people who enjoy these artists don't know music? That's totally ridiculous. And if you want to talk diverse,try Johnny Cash or Ray Charles.

I'm not saying that something is automatically bad because it's popular, but I'm just saying you're wrong when you try to tell me that something is good because it's popular. Popularity has nothing to do with quality of music. Anyone who knows anything about music should know that. And as far as music goes, the only thing that separates me from the general public is that I take the time to search for good music and appreciate artistic music. I think that deep down, the general public does have good taste in music, it's just that they don't take the time to appreciate art. I think if most people were forced to sit down and listen to really great music, they'd like it. But most people don't have the time for that so they just listen to whatever the music industry wants to sell them.

I don't think it has to do with intelligence, I think it has to do with suggestibility (spelling?) when it comes to marketing. I think the youth of today are as easily influenced by the music industry as they were in the 60's, it's just that in the 60's the music industry usually promoted better music. For instance, in the early 60's, the music industry sold the Beatles' good looks and image, which teen girls bought, and conveniently they were musically talented as well, which is what gave them lasting appeal. It seems as if today, the music industry has decided to only sell looks, and they've forgotten about the "musical talent" part, because I just don't think they really care about lasting appeal. In today's world, things become popular and then unpopular in the blink of an eye, so all the music industry really needs to do is sell something superficial like an image, and then find another image to sell.

True, I agree with that... thanks for elaborating.