Zep vs. The Who

Batman

Plant Daltrey could sing with energy and scream like a rock star. Page Townshend is one of the best guitarists ever, and any band would benefit from him. Bonham Moon could play the drums, period. Jones Entwistle was a very flexible bass player, and the bass playeris the keystone of the band.

:smirk: :beatnik:

Only just saw this:

Either one would be great to make a rockband game out of, but in the end I'm ging with: The Who.

:crazy: :crazy:

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

The 'OO!

Zep had the better guitar player and they were the band that basically INVENTED heavy metal. Black Sabbath did their Led Zeppelin imitation and all the other shriekers and shredders followed.

But it was Roger Daltrey who could always shriek ON KEY better than any other lead singer, including Plant and Ozzy.

But the Who had (has?) one of the greatest songwriters of all time in Pete Townshend. No one can deny that his songs are classics, but have you ever noticed that almost no one ever covers Townshend's songs? I think it's because no one could play them as well as the Who.

And that would mean their rhythm section especially. Entwistle and Moon were the greatest rock and roll electric bassman and drummer of all times.

The Who wins--no contest!

I'll have to pick "The Who"...not because of the Rock Opera stuff (and I do like Led Zepplin)... and this is a tough choice..."The Who" have been around longer...more music...AND...they still tour...minus Keith Moon and John Entwhistle... ???...I haven't seen a Led Zepplin show in lots of years...or new music?

I'll have to pick "The Who"...not because of the Rock Opera stuff (and I do like Led Zepplin)... and this is a tough choice..."The Who" have been around longer...more music...AND...they still tour...minus Keith Moon and John Entwhistle... ???...I haven't seen a Led Zepplin show in lots of years...or new music?

That would be because Zeppelin determined that they could not replace John Bonham and therefore decided against doing anything else in his memory. However Robert Plant and Jimmy Page did an album together.

Personally, I'd have to say Zeppelin. As much as I love The Who, I think Zeppelin is better. I think Page is a better guitarist, Bonham the better drummer and Jones the better bassist. Although not a by a wide margin. The thing that puts it over the edge for me is Page's ability to arrange. He made rock music almost classical in his arrangements. Putting things together perfectly. I love it.

Again, This is a tough pick...And in case anyone didn't know Jimmy Page,Keith Moon and John Entwhistle were going to be "The New Yardbirds"... "The Who" were having problems..."Jimmy Page" was looking to start a new band...And "John Entwhistle" said the music was too heavy...like a lead balloon..."Led Zepplin"...I still think Keith Moon is a better drummer,John Entwhistle a better bass player... and I think it's a toss up between Pete Townsend and Jimmy Page...they can both play...and like I said...this is a tough choice

I would say about 98% of you in here have NEVER EVER seen "Led Zeppelin" maybe The Who! I've seen them ALL (Led 2 times with John Bonham)

There is no question Led Zeppelin was something very special as were The Beatles saw them twice too!

Led Zeppelin had a different energy from The Who, they were loud like Led but, they had a different presentation, now if you really know your Classic Rock you know that Led Zeppelin was really a "Blues Band" (Robert Plant)...

Andy Barber heard daily on star103fm.com

I'll agree...Led Zepplin is blues...And I've seen them both...(more than once) and they both rock...

Maybe "The Who" are more R and B...But still...and I'd never say John Bonham was a bad drummer...just two different kind of drummers... Keith Moon just goes crazy...and anybody who's ever been in a band knows...that the bass and drums pretty much drives a song (or songs) It's great to just do solo's but without some backing it makes everything else fall apart...John Paul Jones and John Entwhistle (were) and are great arrangers...This is just a tough pick...

Gotta say Daltrey's voice didn't last anywhere near as long as Plant's--even though I probably would align my allegiance on the side of The Who, I agree with Plant that, however worthy Kenny Jones may have been, it was bad taste to replace Moon when they did, eh?

• 3 weeks later...

speaking of which, did you ever notice no one ever covers Jethro Tull's songs either? I've seen him in concert, man, he's good!

Wow, what a great band.. Traffic is another band I craved in the 60s/70s....

Steve Winwood really knows how to write a song. paper sun.. that's not a really well-known song, but very interesting...

anyway.. I tried one time to sing Locomotive Breath on Karaoke night..wow, that was a hard song to sing.. I love his songs though... definitely a Tull fan..

and who BESIDES, Traffic, could infuse FLUTE, of all things, into a rock n Roll band?

Chris Wood, he was a great flute player, he played sax too. . too bad he died!

I had a mad crush on him.. what DID he die of anyway?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...