Zep vs. The Who

Batman

^I thought that was a bit high too, and the comment "undisputable" is rather ridiculous, since it obviously isn't.

That website is pretty good in many respects (I in particular liked the reviews of Genesis and King Crimson), but I don't think I can trust the opinions of anyone who says The Who are far more diverse than Led Zeppelin. Sorry if that includes anyone here. :crazy:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I thought that was a bit high too, and the comment "undisputable" is rather ridiculous, since it obviously isn't.

That website is pretty good in many respects (I in particular liked the reviews of Genesis and King Crimson), but I don't think I can trust the opinions of anyone who says The Who are far more diverse than Led Zeppelin. Sorry if that includes anyone here. :crazy:

Me. :P The same goes for me and Led Zeppelin though.

My Generation, The Kids Are Alright, A Quick One While He's Away, Armenia City In The Sky, Rael 1, Sunrise, Overture, Fiddle About, Baba O'Riley/Won't Get Fooled Again, My Wife, Now I'm a Farmer, However Much I Booze, New Song, Trick of The Light, The Quiet One, I've Known No War, and so on and so on...

I also think it's funny that he referred to the Rolling Stones as "one of the most diverse bands of all time," with nothing more than a sentence to back that up. I think that you'd need to write an entire paragraph to be able to support the claim that the Stones are diverse at all.

I also think it's funny that he referred to the Rolling Stones as "one of the most diverse bands of all time," with nothing more than a sentence to back that up. I think that you'd need to write an entire paragraph to be able to support the claim that the Stones are diverse at all.

I guess a band that since 1962 has combined rock and roll,blues,country,rhythm and blues,Reggae and Psychedelia and who have sold over 68,000,000 albums with 42 Gold Albums (#2 behind The Beatles),28 Platinum albums and 12 Multi-Platinum albums,in the U.S. alone, isn't diverse.

Success doesn't automatically mean diversity. I don't think they're very diverse.

Being diverse drives sales because people who listen to certain types of music will buy a album from a artist who may not be from that genre of music but has the ability to capture the sound of that particular style. It's called "crossover",hence being diverse.

True, but to me diversity means using different styles in different songs... going from mod to psychedelia to more mature rock to an 80s sound, for example. Not using a blues/rock/country cross (or whatever) for every single song.

Which they didn't. Not every song used all of these types. None of their songs sounded the same. "Satisfaction" doesn't sound like "Brown Sugar". "Brown Sugar" in no way sounds like "Emotional Rescue" and "Emotional Rescue" isn't close to sounding like "Start Me Up",just to name some examples. All very different styles.

I might not be the biggest Stones fan on earth but I think Satisfaction, Brown Sugar and Start Me Up are quite similar, if you think about what's possible in terms of diversity (and compare it to other bands). I don't know Emotional Rescue though.

Then again, I don't know the 70s, 80s and so on Stones very well, so I'm probably not one to talk.