Zep vs. The Who

Batman

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what different styles would you say Beck infuses?

well, let's just start with his biggest hit "Loser", a mixture of Rock and Hip Hop

Nobody's Fault but my own is a very mellow, calm song with a solo accordeon-type instrument in this video (the album version also has an acoustic guitar)

Debra sounds absolutly like something Prince would do

Sexx Laws is some kind of mixture of Funk, Rock... with a banjo and steel guitar...

E-Pro has a raw Garage Rock like sound with rapped lyrics (and drums and bass sampled from the Beastie Boys...)

and these are just the first few examples I came up with... tell me if they aren't diverse enough for you and I'll go and find some others :)

well, let's just start with his biggest hit "Loser", a mixture of Rock and Hip Hop

Nobody's Fault but my own is a very mellow, calm song with a solo accordeon-type instrument in this video (the album version also has an acoustic guitar)

Debra sounds absolutly like something Prince would do

Sexx Laws is some kind of mixture of Funk, Rock... with a banjo and steel guitar...

E-Pro has a raw Garage Rock like sound with rapped lyrics (and drums and bass sampled from the Beastie Boys...)

and these are just the first few examples I came up with... tell me if they aren't diverse enough for you and I'll go and find some others :)

And how many crossover hits has he had?

and who cares how many hits an artist has? the general public wouldn't know good music if it bit them in the ass.

beck has had hits though, not as much as the rolling stones, but he's better than them anyways. "loser" was a pretty big hit. he's probably the most diverse artist i can think of off the top of my head.

well, after listening to it again, Emotional Rescue DOES have a different sound...

Emotional Rescue was the last Rolling Stones album I loved. I think they do sound quite similar in those last 27 years... yet they sound Rolling Stones, that s what the Stones fans want.

I prefered them psychedelic or bluesy, Mick Taylor was one of the best things that happened to them.

But there sure was some divesity in their sound in the first 20 years... they started with rock and blues. They went on with rock and pop. Psychedelia ("Satanic Majesties" and Brian Jones on sitar in other albums) "Little Red Rooster" has nothing to do with "Mother´s little helper" and "Gomper" doesn´t sound at all like "Can you hear the music" and "Happy" has nothing to do with "Miss you" nor "Sitting on a fence".

Now, carry on... :cool:

exactly! :thumbsup:

also I think that edna has a very good point here, I think that many bands, including the Stones, would have been less succesful if they had been more diverse...

people in general don't like changes, and if they want to listen to the Stones it better sound like the Stones!

(of course there are several exceptions to that rule)

and who cares how many hits an artist has? the general public wouldn't know good music if it bit them in the ass.

beck has had hits though, not as much as the rolling stones, but he's better than them anyways. "loser" was a pretty big hit. he's probably the most diverse artist i can think of off the top of my head.

General public? So what do you consider yourself? Just because a artist makes music that people actually spend money to buy doesn't mean it isn't good music.Look at the daily top 10 on this board.Are you telling me that the people who enjoy these artists don't know music? That's totally ridiculous. And if you want to talk diverse,try Johnny Cash or Ray Charles.

I don't think most of us belong to the "general public" when we talk about music...

the "general public" doesn't listen to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd...

eg the current Billboard Hot Top Five is:

1. Big Girls Don't Cry ~ Fergie

2. Crank That (Soulja Boy) ~ Soulja Boy

3. Stronger ~ Kanye West

4. The Way I Are ~ Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson

5. Beautiful Girls ~ Sean Kingston

and that's what the general public listens to!

They're all the big popular names with the big popular songs that everyone knows. I don't know if the general public ENJOYS these songs, but they all KNOW them. Look at them! Stairway, Bohemian Rhapsody, Wish You Were Here, Hotel California. Who doesn't know these songs? They just get the most hits on SF and I'll bet you that a lot of the people checking them out don't know anything about music.

They're all the big popular names with the big popular songs that everyone knows. I don't know if the general public ENJOYS these songs, but they all KNOW them. Look at them! Stairway, Bohemian Rhapsody, Wish You Were Here, Hotel California. Who doesn't know these songs? They just get the most hits on SF and I'll bet you that a lot of the people checking them out don't know anything about music.

I would imagine even people who "know music" would tell you some if not most of the songs on that list are considered classics.You don't have to be a listener of obscure music or refuse to listen to "hit" music to know music.

I would imagine even people who "know music" would tell you some if not most of the songs on that list are considered classics.

Yes the ones who 'know' it and the ones who don't say the same thing. And they are classics. They were the biggest hits of their time and they're old now. Therefore - classic. My point is, these songs aren't the indicators we should be looking at. The people may or may not enjoy the artists, they likely just know the songs which is why they're on the list in the first place. Panic! At the Disco was on this list for a long, long time. I don't know how many people listening to them "know" anything about music :P

Yes the ones who 'know' it and the ones who don't say the same thing. And they are classics. They were the biggest hits of their time and they're old now. Therefore - classic. My point is, these songs aren't the indicators we should be looking at. The people may or may not enjoy the artists, they likely just know the songs which is why they're on the list in the first place. Panic! At the Disco was on this list for a long, long time. I don't know how many people listening to them "know" anything about music :P

I don't think "old" is the correct word.Maybe timeless.And I don't imagine all the people who listen to them are "old" either. They like the music because it's good. Sure there are people who maybe know the song but nothing about the artist. So what? Nobody should judge people by what they know or how little they know about music. That's the great thing about music. You can like and listen to whoever you want to. But it's wrong to tell somebody that if they like a certain artist or certain songs it means they don't know anything about music.

They're old. Smells Like Teen Spirit is on its way to becoming a classic too, but it's not old enough yet. Classics are old :P

I actually thought we were supposed to be in the middle of a discussion about Led Zeppelin and the Who

... from where we reached diversity

... from where we reached the Stones vs. Beck

... from where we got here

I don't think most of us belong to the "general public" when we talk about music...

the "general public" doesn't listen to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd...

eg the current Billboard Hot Top Five is:

1. Big Girls Don't Cry ~ Fergie

2. Crank That (Soulja Boy) ~ Soulja Boy

3. Stronger ~ Kanye West

4. The Way I Are ~ Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson

5. Beautiful Girls ~ Sean Kingston

and that's what the general public listens to!

So what makes you and others not the "general public"? Just because you don't listen to anything on the weekly top 40? And those people who are listening to the music on the above list know nothing about music because they like those songs? Who are you to judge what's good music and what isn't? And who are you to tell somebody that because they listen to those songs that mean's they don't know anything about music? I don't think you or anybody else on here are the judge and jury as to what is "good" music and what isn't.