Zep vs. The Who

Batman

Musician-wise - no difference....probably the two best drummers AND two best bass players ever. I'd rate Page as just a tad better guitar player than Townshend, Daltrey a tad better singer than Plant. They both made great albums from beginning to end. But I'd have to give the victory to Zeppelin by a nose...mainly for the larger influence they had on future rockers. Their style of blues-based heavy metal has become the norm that all kids want to play....loud, hard, and flashy.

Personally, though, if I was forced to make a choice and I could only listen to one band or the other, I would pick THE WHO!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to lie, that's pretty badass. I still prefer Mingus though.

But as long as we're talking about badass basslines, try this one!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tzNrYRqH35Q&mode=related&search=

I wouldn't call him one of the best bassists of all time, but oh my God it's awesome!

Fifthded, then. :cool:

Yeah, I think Entwistle is the greatest bassist ever, but I don't think Jones would rate in the top ten. I appreciate Jones much more for his all round talent as a bassist/keyboardist/songwriter/arranger than just his bass playing. I'd say Geddy Lee, Chris Squire and Flea would be in the top ten bassists of all time though. :)

Edited by Guest

George Starostin has some interesting reviews on his page here. He has a classification system where he puts artists in classes A to E. To date he has only found 4 Class A artists: Beatles, Stones, Dylan and The Who. Surprise anyone? Led Zeppelin gets only a C.

Here's what The Who gets in the different criterias:

Listenability: 5/5. The plus is denied because of some weaker later albums, but the classic stuff is all classic.

Resonance: 5/5. Pete Townshend could be the angriest punk on Earth and he could be the gentlest and the most spiritual being on the planet.

Originality: 5+/5. I could write a book about the things these guys pioneered if several of these hadn't already been written.

Adequacy: 4/5. Okay, at times Pete got a bit TOO religious ('Song Is Over'? 'Pure And Easy'?), but that's just a minor flaw.

Diversity: 5/5. Indisputable.

Overall: 4.8+ = A on the rating scale.

And Led Zeppelin:

Listenability: 4/5. One point off for Robbie Plant ('does anyone remember laughter') and all the generic late Seventies contributions.

Resonance: 3/5. The rockers are great, but Led Zep ballads are very hit-and-miss, so fake at times... Why couldn't they have all their ballads similar to 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You'?

Originality: 4/5. One point needs to be taken off because Led Zeppelin weren't the ONLY or even the FIRST originators of heavy metal as we know it. Check out Jeff Beck, for instance.

Adequacy: 3/5. Robert Plant totally ruins this one for me.

Diversity: 3/5. This one's pretty obvious. They tried being really diverse a couple of times, but I'm NOT gonna bring the diversity of Houses Of The Holy in their favour.

Overall: 3.4 = C on the rating scale. Close to four stars, but not touching.

George Starostin has some interesting reviews on his page here. He has a classification system where he puts artists in classes A to E. To date he has only found 4 Class A artists: Beatles, Stones, Dylan and The Who. Surprise anyone? Led Zeppelin gets only a C.

the site is actually very interesting, sadly there are still a LOT of unrated bands and he wrote that he probably doesn't have much time to review them :P

Great site, Dappled! :coolio:

I must take exception, however, to CCR being rated as a B artist. They are the greatest American band of all time and, arguably, one of the top two or three bands of any nationality.

As to Batman's original question, I much prefer The Who to Zeppelin. I've never been a big Zeppelin fan. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. And with all due respect to Uncle Joe, Roger Daltrey can sing rings around Plant.

Diversity: 3/5. This one's pretty obvious. They tried being really diverse a couple of times, but I'm NOT gonna bring the diversity of Houses Of The Holy in their favour.

Well, that ruined whatever chance I had of taking that guy seriously. That is just a load of crap. I can't think of a band that more deserves a 5/5 for diversity, except perhaps The Beatles. }:(

Edited by Guest

Absolutely. And throw in The Battle Of Evermore, D'yer Mak'er, The Rain Song, Dazed And Confused, When The Levee Breaks, Going To California, Boogie With Stu, What Is And What Should Never Be, Thank You, Ramble On, Since I've Been Loving You, Gallows Pole, No Quarter, Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, Trampled Underfoot, In The Evening... (I don't think the list ever ends :P ).