Zep vs. The Who

Batman

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Led Zeppelin have some memorable songs... yet they´re boring to me by now, I probably loved them more 30 years ago (LZ I is still among my ten fave albums) and The Who have done amazing music as well. Less boring for me. If I had to vote, today (and unfortunately I don´t have the Monterey Festival dvd) I´d say The Who.

:rockon: :rockon: JEFFERSON AIRPLANE!!!! :rockon: :rockon:

:rockon:

Personally I don't think that the music Jefferson Airplane created sounds old (same as the Doors). I think that most of Led Zeppelin and the early Who stuff sounds dated and that it was made in the 60's/70's. With JA and The Doors it sounds fresh and new, like it was made yesterday....

I'll give the Who a bit of an advantage in their lyrical department simply for the fact that they didn't address the same topic nearly as much as Led Zeppelin. That, and those things Sneeky mentioned. Still, Led Zeppelin's actual lyrics are better, or at least less... hmm... "childish"?

There's just no comparing to Jimmy Page, though. Even if he was stoned off his gourd half the time, he could play that guitar like no one else. I don't look at him so much as an "insanely skilled technical" guitarist (although he was quite good at it) so much as in the writing sense.

Also, Robert Plant is a far more talented vocalist than Robert Daltry.

I guess I'd have to go with Led Zeppelin in the end. The Who had some notable achievements and were a great band ('cause they suck now :P), but Led Zeppelin was just a more cohesive and talented group.

I love both bands, but Led Zeppelin win for me, mostly because of their creativity, variety, songwriting and non radio friendliness, and the fact no bands have ever really sounded the same as Led Zeppelin. As I have said before, saying a band sounds like Led Zeppelin is like saying something "tastes like food". I don't classify Led Zeppelin under any genre of music because of the huge variety of musical styles they regularly used.

Also, it helps that they are the only band/artist that have recorded three songs that are clearly in my favourite 20 songs of all time (The Rain Song, Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir).

I'll give the Who a bit of an advantage in their lyrical department simply for the fact that they didn't address the same topic nearly as much as Led Zeppelin. That, and those things Sneeky mentioned. Still, Led Zeppelin's actual lyrics are better, or at least less... hmm... "childish"?

Have a look at songs like However Much I Booze, Won't Get Fooled Again, Bargain, How Many Friends and lots of others, especially 70s stuff... The Who By Numbers in particular has a lot of songs with great lyrics, same with Who's Next... nothing like 'childish' songs like The Kids Are Alright or I'm a Boy or even Pictures of Lily.

I don't like seeing the Who classified as hard rock either, or as one genre in general... they were just as varied and creative as Led Zeppelin.

Granted, the stuff they do today is... not that great, to put it mildly, but they're not really The Who anymore anyway, at least not to me.

Edited by Guest

The Who, hands down. First of all, they were able to think of names for all of their albums, so that's a plus. Secondly, as someone mentioned before, you can get tired of Zepplin easily. I have been turned on to both groups for the same amount of time, and I have to say that The Who are the ones who I will listen to when given the choice. I would say that there are probably about ten bands that I would pick before Zeppelin. After a while it seems like a lot of Zep sounds the same, but with The Who almost all of the songs are unique in their own way. I alos think my desicion may be marred by the amount of recognition that Led Zeppelin gets for Stairway. I do not think it is the number one song of all time (jury is still out for me on that) or the best solo (Comfortably Numb). So, in closing, it's The Who.

It has always been and always will be The Who for me. I like Led Zeppelin a lot, but I like the energy of The Who better. I never tire of their music. Quadrophenia, Who Are You, Who's Next, The Who By Numbers, The Kids Are Alright...all of these records have been in heavy rotation in my life since I was a kid.