ladies writing music?!

GlennGirl

Carole Bayer Sager, Carole King, Suzanne Vega, Carly Simon, Grace Slick, Janis Joplin, Joan Armatrading, Sandy Denny, Alanis Morissette, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, Patti Smith, Tracy Chapman, Roberta Flack, Emmylou Harris, Joan Baez, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Sheryl Crow, Anni diFranco, Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson, Norah Jones, Janis Ian, Melanie Safka, Laura Nyro...

...only some of the British, Candian or American songwriters, or women who also wrote part of their songs.

Women can't write music. Don't be absurd. :P

Ok, I'm new to this forum, so bear with me. This is a joke, so why are so many people taking the bait.

Now, if someone said that African American's couldn't write music, I could see their point.

Jazz is mostly wrong notes. Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus and Thelonious Monk were three of the most horrific composers America has ever produced.

And please name one African American that can play blues.

And I'd ask anyone this:

Who in their right mind would listent to Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Earth Wind & Fire when you can listen to such great soul singers as Barry Manilow, Kenny Rogers or Micheal Bolton or countless other nondescipt artists that serve up top-40 hits which are insincere music for economic purposes of the major record labels.

Ok, I appologize for the cheap shot against Barry Manilow, Kenny Rogers and Micheal Bolton. That wasn't very fair. I just don't like them and they're such easy targets. But, I hope someone can see what I'm saying.

I rather like a lot of music that women write.

It's just my opinion, but in terms of what's regarded as singer song writers, I wouldn't rank anyone above Joni Mitchell. And I find that opinion is widely shared among musicians in many genres. She might not be your taste, but that level of talent is so obvious, it's impossible not to recognize.

I wish that people wouldn't criticize anyone who writes music that is sincere. We're not all born gifted and people do get better.

And yes, this is a joke, except for the part about the large amount (not all) of top-40 hits that mostly exists for economic reasons and is insincere.