What sweetens your coffee today II

Henry David

Growing up in Chicago, we had elotes salesmen all over the place and they'd sell fresh corn on the cob with any topping you like (my sister always got butter, parmesan cheese and paprika) and sliced cucumbers. The best way to eat them with covered in lime juice and paprika. TO DIE FOR. It's one of the many millions of things I miss about my hometown.

Growing up in Chicago, we had elotes salesmen all over the place and they'd sell fresh corn on the cob with any topping you like (my sister always got butter, parmesan cheese and paprika) and sliced cucumbers. The best way to eat them with covered in lime juice and paprika. TO DIE FOR. It's one of the many millions of things I miss about my hometown.

THAT is definitely something I'll try . I boil corn with a splash or two of lemon juice and a spoonful of sugar - really helps bring out the sweetness , too .

I use a bit of sugar in the water as well Kevy. Mmmmm.

Hey, my supervisor gave me a spot award of 100 bucks yesterday, out of the blue. Why? Just 'cause I'm d*mn good at my job. :D It was a huge surprise, and she didn't have to do that at all. "Thanks Carole" would've been enough. And here I've been thinking she was a bit of a witch. She just went up miles in my esteem. ;)

I was on the other end of "On the Spot" awards for a past employer. The company encouraged management to use "On the Spot" awards for employees that went above and beyond the call of duty. It could be for one specific project or great customer service for a particular customer. It could also just represent an ongoing good effort.

The amount could be anything up to $100. When somebody is making $500 a week...that extra $100 is special. I was glad to do it...but it was always merit based...not a freebie.

I personally spent that much on Christmas gifts for my 5 employees too. They worked very hard for me over the course of the year and I wanted to show a little bit of my appreciation with a nice gift.

The amount could be anything up to $100. When somebody is making $500 a week...that extra $100 is special.

You betcha it's special. This is actually the second one I've gotten in the past two years, the first was 50$. It's not even just the money, it's nice to know that when you go out of your way to do something it's noticed. Sounds like you're a great boss Ron, you're employees appreciate that more than you even realize, I'm sure.

Had one of those really good trips to New York City on Saturday. I drove in with the family and it took less than 30 minutes from my house, through the Lincoln Tunnel, to a parking lot in the city. Parked on Park and 28th then walked to Penn Station at Madison Square Garden to get a fresh Krispy Kreme doughnut.

Walked to Broadway then all the way down to Astor Place...passed through Union Square where they were having their big Saturday farmers market..anyway, cut across Astor to 3rd Avenue (at Cooper Union) and started to head back uptown.

Took 3rd up to Gramercy Park and walked through there looking at the fine homes. Got to Park Avenue and walked back up to 33th.

Checked out Macy's for a bit then headed over to Lexington Ave. Took Lexington to 27th and had dinner at Blue Smoke.

After dinner we got in the car, headed down to The Village. Took a loop around Washington Square and NYU then...back out through the Holland Tunnel. That route home took us right past Liberty National Golf Course...that's where the PGA tour was this week...the Statue of Liberty guards the course...then home...again in less then 30 minutes.

It was a nice day.