Random Lists of Random Things

PSYCHOcatholic

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point of those very funny What We Would Have Said "jokes"? :stars:

About as funny as a fire in an orphanage: I guess the idea is to illustrate that the youth of today have neither the wit nor class to equal these "great put-downs of yesteryear". Most of which have been quoted ad infinitum ever since, as though rapier-like wit were a thing of the past. So this is the best the 20th Century had to offer, is it? I make it about one per decade, on average. Not so impressive when you look at it like that.

All familiar with the phenomenon of "sledging"? In the course of a game, one player makes a sly remark to his opponent to try and unnerve him,gain a psychological advantage, put him off his stroke. An English cricketer apparently tried to sledge the exceptionally gifted but somewhat rotund Australian bowler Shane Warne, by muttering, in passing, "So, Warne: how come you're so fat?". To which Warne instantly retorted, "'Cos everytime I f*ck your wife, she gives me a biscuit."

Ok, so it's hardly Oscar Wilde.... :blush:

About as funny as a fire in an orphanage: I guess the idea is to illustrate that the youth of today have neither the wit nor class to equal these "great put-downs of yesteryear".

do you really think that? :shades:

cracked.com isn't really known for their wit and class either ;)

I think these comments are supposed to give a 'joke' to people who the insults-comebacks are too... I don't know how to say it... "intellectual"? "dry"?

ie people who think "in your face!" is funny :crazy:

What's the point of those very funny What We Would Have Said "jokes"? :stars:

"Sadly, many of us will go our entire lives without scoring a decent comeback, doomed to pause awkwardly and mutter some pathetic variation of “your face†for the rest of our miserable lives."

They are all a variation of the "in your face" comeback, as disclaimed above (at the beginning of the article).

"Sadly, many of us will go our entire lives without scoring a decent comeback, doomed to pause awkwardly and mutter some pathetic variation of “your face†for the rest of our miserable lives."

They are all a variation of the "in your face" comeback, as disclaimed above (at the beginning of the article).

finally someone who reads the whole article :laughing: :thumbsup:

(maybe I should've done that too :doh: )

PS. they're still unnecessary :P

Edited by Guest

This list lacks credibility.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Ronaldo are not one and the same, yet a picture of the former is used to represent the latter. That's more than careless; indicates somebody who doesn't know much about football.

The omission of George Best? Sheesh. I'm no fan of Manchester United, but Best should arguably be in the Top 5 here- a true footballing genius- yet doesn't even make it into the 20.

Beckham should not feature here. He is a good player, but far less gifted than many I could name: Paul Gascoigne, Glenn Hoddle, Kenny Dalglish, Johnny Giles, Liam Brady, Ruud Gullit...the list could go on...

Lilian Thuram? As one person observed; his mother might agree with his inclusion, but no serious football fan would.

Oliver Khan???!!!Get real.

:D

the Ronaldo mess up and the Beckham vs Best thing were exactly the things I would have said too!

even though I disagree with you on one thing: Beckham really isn't a good player, the only thing he's good at are free kicks...

even though I have to grudgingly admit, Oliver Khan is one of the (not THE) best goalkeepers we had, maybe he was included because he only recently ended his career?

I would have liked Uwe Seeler to be included instead, but that's just me...

I found it quite funny that "the greatest soccer player in the history of the game" didn't go on #1

PS I never heard of Lilian Thuram before ;) :P

Well, it's telling that instead of praising Beckham's football skills, they go on and on about his marriage and how popular they both are.

And I think it's a bit odd when they just write something like "he is famous for that goal"... I'm sure there are lots of people who are famous for some goal or other, but that doesn't make them one of the world's top 20 football players.

• 2 weeks later...

50 things we know now (we didn't know this time last year)

A few of my faves:

2. Two pounds of a dried plant that turned out to be the oldest marijuana in the world was discovered in a 2,700-year-old grave in the excavated Yanghai Tombs in the Gobi Desert.

9. Learning math triggers a large-scale reorganization of brain processes in order to understand written symbols for various quantities.

12. The use of social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace on company computers leads to increased productivity.

20. Searching online is better than reading books for increasing the brainpower of middle-aged and older adults.

26. Girls and boys now perform equally on standardized high school mathematics tests across North America, ending a gender gap that lasted for decades.

29. Excessive flip-flop wearing leads to a much higher risk of developing skin cancer on the feet.

35. The fully fleshed-out head of a Tyrannosaurus rex may have weighed more than 1,100 pounds, but much of that volume came from air cavities that likely created painful sinus infections.

44. Mexican scientists discovered a way to make diamonds from the carbon and organic compounds found in tequila.

48. Chimpanzees keep a mental record of helpful acts from other members of their group, such as grooming, scratching and removing fleas, so they can return the favor.

50. Drinking just three cups of coffee a day can make women's breasts shrink.

35. The fully fleshed-out head of a Tyrannosaurus rex may have weighed more than 1,100 pounds, but much of that volume came from air cavities that likely created painful sinus infections.

Maybe thats why they were so cranky all the time :laughing:

50. Drinking just three cups of coffee a day can make women's breasts shrink.

So thats where those went :crazy:

I learn something new here everyday :laughing: