Mat's page

DiggsUK

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Mat.

My name is Crystal and I live in Missouri. I am going to have my first child, a little boy, really soon. I hope he's as smart as you are. :)

I found a website about a dinosaur tail that was found in Missouri. Click here to read more about it. Bollinger County is just a few hundred miles north of where I grew up on the Mississippi River. Now I live in Springfield, on the other side of the state. Windy and Matt also live in Missouri, but they are about 3 hours away from me.

If it snows again be sure and throw a snowball at your dad from me, too! Thanks! ::

Hello Mat:

My nephew Zackary is going to be 6 years old at the end of March. He isn't into dinosaurs, but he loves superheroes, especially Spiderman and Batman.

I live in New Jersey, which is on the east coast of the US. They are predicting 3-6" of snow for us this afternoon. If I could, I'd send you a snowball for your dad.

Howdy Mat!

So you like snow? So do I!

I live in Portland, Oregon USA. We rarely get any snow here in the city. However, the mountains nearby get a lot of snow! In fact, most of the snow on the mountains NEVER MELTS!! Even in the SUMMER TIME!!! Pretty cool huh?

Most of the 'cool' looking mountains around here are actually volcanoes!! Yeah, have you heard of MT St Helens? This mountain is actually a volcano about 60 miles North of Portland. Mt St Helens erupted in 1980!

I actually hiked to the top of Mt St Helens two summers ago. Would you like to see the pictures?

LINK This photo is of me on the rim of Mt St Helens. In the background is Mt. Rainer (another volcano). Even though this was the middle of summer there is still SNOW!!!

LINK 2 In this photo you see the center of Mt St Helens, and the lava dome.

Have you heard about the latest 'small' eruptions from Mt St Helens? Those eruptions actually came from the lava dome!

If you would like to see more pictures of my hike to the top of Mt St Helens let me know! It was a very hard hike, but it was a lot of fun! ::

Cheers!

-Brian

Thanks Brian, Jenny & Elvish. Mathew is unable to answer at the moment as it is a school week and his spare time is taken up with spellings, Spyro and winding up his younger siblings. He was impressed with the dinosaur models though, particularly the Troodon (the largest brain/body mass relationship of all the dinosaurs, and a name that means 'wounding tooth' incidentally), as it is one of the lesser known therapods and not often heard about. He was also impressed with the Mount St. Helens photos. He is at that great age where everything has the power to impress.

Thanks once more.

Regards

Here's the strange animal we have in Delaware. They're called Horseshoe Crabs, and some people believe they actually are living dinosaurs:

hcrab2.jpg

horseshoe_crab.jpg

They can get pretty big, almost 3 feet long. They wash up on the shore out od the Delaware Bay. In the summer, they are all over the place, hundreds of them!

Thanks for the pictures of the critters folks. Mat has looked, but doesn't want to type at the moment. I'm not going to force him. I'm sure he will again soon.

He does say that those Horseshoe crabs are pre-dinosaur, and were around when the atmosphere on earth couldn't support life on land. He tried to say 'Ordovichian'(excuse my speling), but couldn't. He did point out however that they lived around the time of the sea-scorpion and the giant conical squid things. Nigel Marvin is his hero.

One day we hope to take the kids to Africa, and have started saving a bit each month to do so when the youngest is at an age to appreciate it. Who knows, he may get to see 'the big five' in the flesh one day?

Regards

Hey Mat, you´re lucky! Brian never appears round here but now he did just to send you a message!

Hey Mat, little does Edna know that I am a sucker for showing kids about the great outdoors! I love the outdoors, probably as much as you love Spyro the dragon! ::

Here is another story for you. One time while I was fishing in Utah there was a small forest fire nearby! Forest fires are really hard to put out. There are no roads for fire trucks to drive on so firefighters use airplanes and helicopters to dump water on the fires.

Here is a photo I snapped of a helicopter flying RIGHT OVER ME while I was fishing. LINK

The helicopter was taking water to pour over the forest fire! Pretty cool huh?

Have fun in school!

Cheers

-Brian

• 10 months later...

Hi Mathew!

How are you enjoying school?

I have a friend who is also called Mathew, and spells his name the same as you. I bet you are just as grown up and special as he is!

My favourite food is the type you can buy from a Chinese restaurant - chicken and pineapple with egg-fried rice! Yummy...

Be good!

Benita

Hi Mathew! My name is Marc. Like you, many people misspell my name, but instead of adding an extra letter, they put a "k" at the end instead of a "c." I am used to it, though. I sent your father some Hershey bars a few months ago. He said that everyone liked them.

My favorite food is a nice piece of beef barbecued to medium rare, which is what I just had for dinner tonight! I also, like your father, like motorcycles.

Bye!