Songs w/ Sax

Danielj

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen Toussaint (<) is an under-recognized musical genius, prolific songwriter and producer. His horn arrangments are lengendary.

The saxophone work on Last Train and Country John from the "Southern Nights" album (1975) is particularly memorable.

collect.jpg

"Southern Nights" is only available on CD as a Japanese import, but both songs are included on the US "Toussaint Collection" put together from his four 1970s LPs.

Mindcrime....I've never known INXS to use a flute. Hang on, I'm singing the song in my head now.... :jester:

It's been so long since I've heard that song, I'm not sure. I would have to say probably not, as they usually just used the sax. I have seen Kirk play a soprano sax so that may have been what he used.

I'm not a big fan of Foreigner (don't like the voice of lead singer Lou Gramm), but I heard the song Urgent today and was amazed by the sax solo.

No wonder. I checked and found the sax on that song came from the fantastic Junior Walker.

shotgun.jpg

Nobody's mentioned Junior Walker & The All Stars' hits Shotgun, (I'm A) Road Runner, and Cleo's Back.

The worst song I've ever encountered with massive use of a saxophone is Tim Cappello's "I Still Believe". It was featured in the 1987 vampire classic "The Lost Boys" during the part at the fair, where he performed it live & had the crowd head-banging to his Michael Bolton like sax playing. I feel like I have been scarred for life ever seeing it, one of the worst performances ever.