Top Posters In This Topic

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #125 for the week ending 27th July 2008

1. Slip Kid - The Who (1975)

2. All My Love - Led Zeppelin (1979)

3. Time In A Bottle - Jim Croce (1972)

4. Where Is My Mind? - Pixies (1988)

5. Lonely People - America (1974)

6. Mr. Tambourine Man - Bob Dylan (1965)

7. Fool On The Hill, The - The Beatles (1967)

8. Ça Plane Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrand (1978)

9. When The Music's Over - The Doors (1967)

10. Share The Land - The Guess Who (1970)

RonJon, you were right once again... :cool: :bow:

Thanks for making me discover this song. As some other songfactors, I didn´t know it... and it went straight to #1... :thumbsup:

And "Share The Land" made it!!! :) :)

Justice est faite!!! :)

Thank you for your votes. A special thanks to Laurie... ;) :bow:

:rockon: Yes it's very classic, but it's also very good.

Still, I thought the Eagles song would appeal to more people here.

Very classic Ten, very good ten, I totally agree Tim. Gotta tell you Seven Bridges Road, while good, is not my favorite Eagles song by a long shot. Another bunch of songs, and I may have voted for it, but not this time around. I thought Bruce would do better, but I think just you and I voted for that song.

Anyway, still a great ten. I'm very happy with it! :)

:doh:

Unfortunately, it seems I can no longer be satisfied with a Top Ten that does not contain any songs from 1990 or later, especially since we've only had one such song in the last three top tens. The fact that only about seven people out of the twenty-something voters voted for two or more 90s/00s songs shows that there is a pretty serious imbalance here. Surely it isn't such a big ask for everyone to at least try to include at least two songs from the 90s/00s in their votes? Or perhaps to nominate a song from that period at least once every three weeks? It would make the Top Tens a lot more diversified and interesting. :shades:

Sorry to bring this up just after the 125th Top Ten, and just before I am due to host the Ultimate Top Ten, but I am starting to find these top tens rather boring and predictable. :sleepy:

Edited by Guest

Unfortunately, it seems I can no longer be satisfied with a Top Ten that does not contain any songs from 1990 or later, especially since we've only had one such song in the last three top tens. The fact that only about seven people out of the twenty-something voters voted for two or more 90s/00s songs shows that there is a pretty serious imbalance here. Surely it isn't such a big ask for everyone to at least try to include at least two songs from the 90s/00s in their votes? Or perhaps to nominate a song from that period at least once every three weeks? It would make the Top Tens a lot more diversified and interesting. :shades:

Sorry to bring this up just after the 125th Top Ten, and just before I am due to host the Ultimate Top Ten, but I am starting to find these top tens rather boring and predictable. :sleepy:

I suggest that there be some special top 10's for some future weeks set up for specific eras: for example, a pre-1980 top 10, a 1980's only top 10, and a post-1990 top 10. This will encourage some of our more veteran ;) SF'ers to look at new music, and also for some of our newbies to hark back to old classics (as if my PTT didn't do that already).

Surely it isn't such a big ask for everyone to at least try to include at least two songs from the 90s/00s in their votes? Or perhaps to nominate a song from that period at least once every three weeks? It would make the Top Tens a lot more diversified and interesting

... I am starting to find these top tens rather boring and predictable.

Rick Nelson Said

You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself

--------------

There is, no doubt, a "common denominator" factor at work here. Songs familiar to the largest number of voters tend to be the ones voted in.

I try to nominate and vote for songs I like regardless when or who they came from. But, speaking generally, a song that impresses me based on a single listening or two, has got be a hella impressive song. And, frankly, a lot of nominations make me ask "What's to like?".

One of my nominations this week was from 1993 (Perfectly Good Guitar), but probably not the sort of 90s song you have in mind (and, man, '93 is already fifteen years ago, or [smaller] 3/4 [/smaller] of your time alive). It obviously didn't overwhelm the gang, but it is fun for me just to share it. I never really got the point of Videos for Prospective Nominations: Post & View Them Here ! I make nominations without any guarantee up front, and trust y’all will listen and judge.

And you see I'd never heard Slip Kid . or Ça Plane Pour Moi . before, but when I did listen, neither did a damn thing for me (no offense to thems what loves ‘em).

You really don’t need to take your songs and go home just because they don’t score.

The Top Tens are an excellent trading post. I like the opportunity to try out your different stuff, and see if I can sell other folks on my treasures.

I listen to all songs posted. I don't care what year they are. If I didn't listen to them I might as well not play IMHO.

I have voted for a few new songs I've heard but to be honest I haven't heard many I really much like. The young people here have introduced me to some I like alot tho. Test Crash Dummies for one. I think their cool. Whether or not they will make it on one of my tens will depend on what else is offered. There are others I have voted for but I do tend to stick to the classics of my generation because that is what I love.

If I hear something I like I will vote for it. I try not to overlook anything. I can say, I do like the lyrics better then the music in most of the songs of today. :stars:

It seems to defeat the purpose of voting if you should be required to vote for something from a certain time unless the contest is for a certain year. It doesn't make sense to me to vote for a song I don't particularly care for just to meet a standard. Unfortunately, I like almost all music except for hard rock, rap and opera and there is even some good in that. One of my favs is Avril Lavigne and she is just a kid but love her music.

Good points all , yet I find that CS has a point that shouldn't easily be dismissed . Without a doubt the TT is heavily prejudiced toward songs pre-1980 . I'd hoped it would be a place for hearing and occasionally appreciating songs one normally had little or no exposure to . I do fear , though , that the voting more often than not goes toward either ' songs that bring up nostalgia and are more immediately familiar ' or the ' choice of groups/artist - regardless of the strength of the song in their canons ' , at times or ' to reward those that have long gone before others ' . I , myself , have done so - for convenience sake , and hence , take a break from the Tens , occasionally, because I can't give them the proper attention I think they deserve . Of course , there are exceptions to this tendency , as seen above .

However , like any election , though , one can't proscribe how one must vote ; be that on simple charisma or quality or familiarity , etc . ... C'est la democratie , non ?!

Edited by Guest

When you play in the ten, you just have to take your chances. Not every ten is going to please every one. Every one can find a flaw in the ten (personally I would like more female artists to make the ten, for example), but both sides have valid points. The tens can become a bit stale with only 60s & 70s songs making it all the time, but those songs seem to be the most widely known.

Chris does have a valid point that newer music shouldn't automatically be discounted because it's not "classic" yet. The Ten is an opportunity to become acquainted with music that is new to you, regardless of genre or time period. Personally I've discovered both The Small Faces (60s) and The Pixies (late 80s) because of the tens.

And cyberjudge, we do have special tens like albums, one hit wonders, that are separate from MOC, we just have them on hold for the personal tens.

Edited by Guest
forgot an e. Can you guess where?