The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #125

WELCOME TO THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE TOP TEN #125 ! :headphones:

ALL MEMBERS OF SONGFACTS ARE MOST WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE. The greater the participation, the more diverse, and more representative our top ten list is. We'd like to invite everyone to help us select THE SONGFACTOR'S CHOICE TOP TEN! :)

IT'S SIMPLE, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS:

* Nominate two songs that haven't made the Ten before ... Click here to view Every Song That's Made The Songfactors' Choice Top Tens.

* When nominations close, choose your favorite Ten songs in order of preference from the Final Nominations and post them here. Points are allotted, 10 for your #1 song, 9 for #2, Etc. and our Top Ten is compiled from them. At the end of the voting period we'll announce The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten For that week.

LET US HAVE YOUR NOMINATIONS NOW ! :thumbsup:

:headphones:

One Hundred and Twenty Five Weeks !! :o

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came back from a book signing/musical performance by Peter Yarrow, who was signing copies of a children's book version of Puff the Magic Dragon. He also played about an hour of classic folk songs, including Leavin' on a Jet Plane, Where Have All the Flowers Gone, and for Puff, he had all the children including my 8-year-old son come up and sing it with him.

So in honor of Peter I am nominating a song - and a group - which I cannot believe is not yet in the Top 10:

Puff the Magic Dragon-Peter Paul & Mary (1963)

ça plane pour moi - Plastic Bertrand

La France sait comment "rock et roll"!

Cool to hear the mid-60's Beach Boys influence on modern French rock. Very cool.

If we accept that the term "rap music" derives from the 1950's beat term for talking to someone else, rapping, then it follows that this was the very first rap song:

Old Rivers - Walter Brennan 1962

(even if you would never vote for it, this song is worth one listen to its moving end.)

Free Ride - Edgar Winter Group 1972

Cool to hear the mid-60's Beach Boys influence on modern French rock. Very cool.

Modern??? 1977 or thereabouts, I would wager. So, ummmm...30 years ago. Yikes! Doesn't time fly! Bizarrely enough, "Ca Plane Pour Moi" was marketed as "punk rock" at the time. Plastic (real name Roger Jouret) had previously been the drummer of a proper Belgian punk band (Hubble Bubble).

Captain Sensible of The Damned recorded a song "Jet Boy Jet Girl" (as Captain Sensible & The Softies) which purloined the entire riff of this song, including the "Ooh ooh ooh ooh" motif.

(see below)

I'm fairly sure I've nominated "Ca Plane Pour Moi" before: don't think it scored highly that time: I suspect only I voted for it....but surely has a better chance this time around. ;)

Jet Boy, Jet Girl is a risqué song by Elton Motello about a 15-year-old boy's sexual relationship with another guy, who then rejects him for a girl. With its chorus of "ooh ooh ooh ooh, he gives me head," it has been embraced as something of a gay punk anthem.

Elton Motello "2" : Alan Ward (real name Timms aka Alan Warst as sound engineer), vocals; Mike Butcher (aka Jet Staxx), guitar; Yves Kengen (aka Yke N. Raxola), bass; Nobby Goff (from Crawley, U.K., drums then replaced by Bertr' alias Roger Jouret and very well known as Plastic Bertrand.

Elton Motello "1" : Brian James, gtr;(later of The Damned) Nobby Goff, drums; Alan Ward, vcls and Yves Kengen, bass. (fake group = no recordings issued)

It has the same backing track as Plastic Bertrand's "Ça Plane Pour Moi" because after "jet Boy Jet Girl" was recorded, Bertrand used Motello's musicians to record his track. The producer and lyricist at RKM Publishing at the time deemed the original song's lyrics too controversial to be adapted, so Yvan Lacomblez created the stew of words that became 'Ca Plane Pour Moi' to the tune of 'Jet Boy Jet Girl.'

Now, I never knew this before.

Edited by Guest
Add fruits of research

I'm fairly sure I've nominated "Ca Plane Pour Moi" before: don't think it scored highly that time: I suspect only I voted for it....but surely has a better chance this time around. ;)

Yes, you did, BF; and I also voted for it... :cool: