The Personal Top Tens

Just curious how you SFers listen to the playlists in the PTTs. Do you simply listen through normal small computer speakers? Advanced computer sound system with separate bass box to augment the smaller speakers? Use quality headphones? Earbuds? Perhaps your computer is hooked to a large room stereo system?

Just curious how we enjoy internet music presented here.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends, I usually either listen to them through my quality headphones if I don't want to bother anybody or sometimes through the subwoofer surround sound system that I have in my den, but that can disturb others. Sometimes I just leave it as is and play through my built in speakers.

Just curious how you SFers listen to the playlists in the PTTs. Do you simply listen through normal small computer speakers? Advanced computer sound system with separate bass box to augment the smaller speakers? Use quality headphones? Earbuds? Perhaps your computer is hooked to a large room stereo system?

I just listen through my computer. No big deal.

I just listen through my computer. No big deal.

Well, if you've got great computer speakers, I guess it is no big deal, but I had been listening through some very cheap, tinny speakers having such a restricted dynamic range that I had not been giving fair shake to the songs of other members with which I was not familiar. Those little speakers sounded so limited that I picked up a pair of quality headphones and it made a BIG difference. A much more intimate listening experience. I could understand words I had missed. I could hear the bass lines and cymbal accents I had missed. It made such a difference that I would have changed some votes had I had the headphones when first listening to some of the PTTs. I am jealous of those who are hooked up to a tuner and good room speakers.

It's neat to learn how others listen.

Well, if you've got great computer speakers, I guess it is no big deal, but I had been listening through some very cheap, tinny speakers having such a restricted dynamic range that I had not been giving fair shake to the songs of other members with which I was not familiar. Those little speakers sounded so limited that I picked up a pair of quality headphones and it made a BIG difference. A much more intimate listening experience. I could understand words I had missed. I could hear the bass lines and cymbal accents I had missed. It made such a difference that I would have changed some votes had I had the headphones when first listening to some of the PTTs. I am jealous of those who are hooked up to a tuner and good room speakers.

I have a laptop, I don't have external speakers. I don't put expensive listening equipment on a computer. That goes for speakers, headphones or anything else. I save that for my record player. If I REALLY like the song, I'll get the album and listen to it in CD quality audio. Of course, after I rip it to my iPod, since I don't even own a CD player anymore.

I wish I could recreate the old audiophile days of nice, crisp sounding speakers and top-of-the-line stereophile equipment.

Maybe this will make us upgrade our listening experience.

:cool:

I listn through the PC speakers... yet they have an amazing sound... :cool:

Ron, I was thinking it would be a good idea if after these PTT's are over, to do an Ultimate PTT with the top 2 songs from everybody's lists combined into one.

Sounds good to me, Kenne. Unless a mod has a problem with doing that, we'll give it a whirl after the individual TTs are completed.

Could we possibly get a list of who has yet to go and is for sure going to participate?

In no particular order:

Edna

TheLizard

Viaene

Lea

Blind Fitter

Lonelyday

Lucky

S2V

Since you have been participating in the voting, skybluesky, if you (or any other "voter only") wish to be added to this queue, simply PM me.

All those listed above have always supported the process as diligently as they could, I am concerned by the possibility that some of the earlier list submittors may no longer be voting on those lists that have come after theirs. I have not done a detailed analysis and do not know identities, but we had about 24 participants originally (plus a couple of steady "voters only,") yet the last PTT had a slim 19 voting respondents. If the trend continues to see a decline in voters, this just wouldn't be fair to those who have been faithfully maintaining the game and have yet to submit their list. Think about this and support the community.

Thanks

Sounds good to me, Kenne. Unless a mod has a problem with doing that, we'll give it a whirl after the individual TTs are completed.

In no particular order:

Edna

TheLizard

Viaene

Lea

Blind Fitter

Lonelyday

Lucky

S2V

Since you have been participating in the voting, skybluesky, if you (or any other "voter only") wish to be added to this queue, simply PM me.

All those listed above have always supported the process as diligently as they could, I am concerned by the possibility that some of the earlier list submittors may no longer be voting on those lists that have come after theirs. I have not done a detailed analysis and do not know identities, but we had about 24 participants originally (plus a couple of steady "voters only,") yet the last PTT had a slim 19 voting respondents. If the trend continues to see a decline in voters, this just wouldn't be fair to those who have been faithfully maintaining the game and have yet to submit their list. Think about this and support the community.

Thanks

Part of me wishes to be sneaky for a third go round, and but most of me has proof that no one even pays attention to me, as I've already gone under my former moniker "ryansgirl."

I listen through the PC speakers... yet they have an amazing sound... :cool:

We're also pretty happy with the sound quality and volume of our basic computer speakers.

In no particular order:

Edna

TheLizard

Viaene

Lea

Blind Fitter

Lonelyday

Lucky

S2V

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks

It's actually their loss, not ours. We move forward...

:cool:

Part of me wishes to be sneaky for a third go round, and but most of me has proof that no one even pays attention to me, as I've already gone under my former moniker "ryansgirl."

Bah, wrong. You went from rg to sbs on my top ten lists without missing a beat, which disproves your proof .... ;) you wouldn't have gotten away with round 3. :D