Bubblegum (and how you can win a CD)

Carl

The late '60s were a turbulent time, and the music reflected that. But it wasn't all protest songs, Beatles and Rock bands: there were some very talented people making what was known as "Bubblegum" music. Need proof of it's popularity? Check out the #1 song of 1969.

If you dig the Bubblegum sound, check out the new Bubblegum Christmas CD.

We have 5 copies of the disc to give away, and you can get yours by Guessing the Gumballs. (disclaimer: no fish were harmed to get the fishbowl)

Thanks to Floyd Marcus from the 1910 Fruitgum Co. for the discs. In Floyd's interview, he talks about who played the instruments, who controlled the image, and how the term "Bubblegum" came to be.

Other interesting reading is from Toni Wine, who told us all about Sugar, Sugar, and also from Jane Wiedlin, who said: "I'm really, really into true 100% pop, pop songs. I'm super influenced by the bubblegum music of the '60s. Like The Archies and Tommy James, and there's all this great music being written, and just super great pop singles. That's something I've always aspired to write"

So, what are your thoughts on Bubblegum music?

Bubblegum is highly underrated by so many people today. But, it's part of the soundtrack of my life. Before I loved the Stones, before I ever heard Dylan, I was listening to AM radio, and Bubblegum. I can remember when Sugar Sugar was the hot song on the radio... and the DJ announced the next song up... Rocky Racoon, by the Beatles. Bubblegum is one of many forms of Rock N Roll, and I'm lucky enough to have been born at a time when I've been able to enjoy it in all it's many forms.

Now, I've got an interview to read. My guess has already been submitted. ;)

"Yummy Yummy Yummy" reminds me of a college classmate who had the following experience: After a roll in the hay with the conquest du jour, she piped up with the first verse, and he said...oh wait, this tale comes under the category of "don't kiss and tell." (It was the 1960's, and he had a reputation as a stud.) :elvis:

Bubblegum was a breath of freash (and very sweet :grin: ) air in the late sixties/early seventies, when the teens like me were into psychedelia (Sgt Peppers, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix) and other heavier music.

I love it. It´s like a mantra among other styles, easy to remember and catchy... I´ts pure pop music, the essence of it...

Despite my screen name, Bubblegum is not my cup of tea.

Since this sing-songy stuff seems primarily aimed at eleven year-old girls, it wouldn't be.

Here's a listing of some Bubblegum highwater marks, for anyone who cares.

If only there were a Bubblegum tune with genuine Blues or Garage Band leanings.

Edited by Guest
James' 'Crimson and Clover', The Monkees' 'Mary Mary' and probably some others don't belong on that list.

I’ll admit there are much worser things than CBG (Classic Bubblegum). A wad of this stuff 'll make anyone long for Lancelot Link.

( Doesn't it seem like the video lasts as long as Titanic ?)

There you go bazooka... a ready made theme song for you! ;)

Good Lord. :P

Edited by Guest

^ Methinks he doth protest too much. I can just see Master Sir bazooka bebopping along to "The Tra La La Song" by The Banana Splits. He has a gruff exterior, but the heart of an 11 year old girl. :grin:

Peaches, thanks for planting this song in my brain just before I left work last night...I was tra-la-la-ing all night.

Being a teenager during the Bubblegum craze, you never wanted to admit liking the music, but deep inside you did. Those songs had great melodies and catchy hooks. I do love Jimi and Led Zep, but I also enjoyed Sugar,Sugar and Bend Me Shape Me. And there's nothing wrong with that. :cool:

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Our audit revealed that there were 617 gumballs in the Songfacts Fishbowl. A few people guessed 1910, which would have been clever of us, but beyond the capacity of a standard fishbowl. Here are the 5 winners of the CD with their guesses:

Ken - 610

Kristjan - 611

Bill - 612

Melinda - 613

Timothy - 621

As for favorite Bubblegum song, here's the tally:

"Sugar Sugar" - 59%

"Mony Mony" - 23%

"Yummy Yummy Yummy" - 31%

"Simon Says" - 5%

Thanks to all who entered, and to Floyd for the Fruitgum goodness.

Back in the day I didn't much care for Bubblegum music. Some songs caught my fancy like Sugar, Sugar and Mony Mony but for the most part I ignored the genre.

In retrospect I will admit that there were some pretty good songs that I ignored and that the "feel good" nature of the genre was a welcome departure from the heavy seriousness of many of the rock songs of the day.

Bubblegum of yesteryear was much, much superior to the silly boy band or teenage girly songs of recent years.