So much more than Random Thoughts

_Laurie_

It was a joke.

But if you want an open discussion about what I really think about what you said, here goes. I think it's one small step from "how can you expect guys not to think about sex when you dance like that" to "she was asking for it". I think you should consider the consequences of your slut-shaming. I think that if you consider a beautiful, self-empowered woman like Beyonce to be slutty, then you clearly have an even lower opinion of the average young woman. I think that young women have enough self-esteem issues to deal with without having to hear older men like you grumble about the good old days before girls were whores.

Ah, I see. Well, that was funny, Tim. And your follow up post here is even funnier.

Girls have always had self-esteem issues. That's just the way of life. It's exacerbated in this day and age by the ridiculous media coverage and mostly advertisements that force-feed them (us) that we're too fat, we're too skinny, we're neurotic, we're hairy, we're messy, we're uptight, we're don't eat enough, we eat too much, our clothes are too tight, they're too loose, they're too short, they're too long... Barbie is the only "perfect" woman, and she's plastic.

However, I will say that in my experience with research (because human behavior fascinates me) it appears that women are the only ones who care what other women do/look like/behave like, etc. Men aren't that picky.

And by the same token, ANY male person who feels that the way a girl dresses or dances is a sexual invitation for him to have his way with her, that guy has something twisted where his brain should be.

That said, I don't think that Miley is a whore. But she is sending a pretty raunchy message to young girls who are having a pretty tough time already deciding who/what/how they want to be. Much of the time they're not equipped to differentiate between the way they think they should dress and the way they think they should behave.

That's my rant.

Tim, Ron, simmer down. :beady:

...I think it's one small step from "how can you expect guys not to think about sex when you dance like that" to "she was asking for it".

Tim, I guess you're much too young sometimes... because I really like you and the way you think and the music you post... :P But one thing is that crap those two did (which I read they regret...) and another, very different, is defending rape...you say, one statement leads to another... well, no, you're wrong.

We, the old ones, did and/or do the very same things you do now. Or maybe more. But that Miley/Robin thing is just bad taste...

I don't think what Miley did is the problem. I think it's a larger problem.

I mean honestly, is anyone genuinely surprised at what she did? She had been doing stuff like this (in her music video especially) for awhile, so when she cam out to perform, were people honestly naive enough to think "Well I'm sure that this will be a wholesome performance for sure. Can't imagine anything bad is going to happen." Why is this such a shock?

Secondly, why is no one mad at Robin Thicke? The guy is (literally) twice Miley's age, married with children, and he's dancing to a song about the blurred lines between rape and consent with naked women (in his video) and a barely clothed Miley Cyrus. Also, she was wearing the clothes that were worn in the censored version of Thicke's video. Most likely, that outfit was his idea. Also, if you wanna get mad at Miley, get mad at Lady Gaga too, as she was dressed pretty similarly during her performance.

I just want to understand what was so hedonistically horrible about what she did. She was essentially in her underwear dancing (though had she been at the beach, or been wearing a bikini in general, the outfit would've been totally acceptable). She was sexually suggestively dancing. That's it. Guess where else you see that? Literally almost everywhere. Go to a club. Honestly, any club, you'll see the same thing if not worse. Look at virtually any hip-hop video, you'll see the same thing if not worse.

Miley isn't the problem, she's just the catalyst for debate. There's a larger problem. Did she do anything to continue perpetuating this idea of the objectification of women? You could argue that. She certainly didn't help. But is she her own person who can do what she wants? Yup, sure is.

Go to a club. Honestly, any club, you'll see the same thing if not worse. Look at virtually any hip-hop video, you'll see the same thing if not worse.

And so it is for exactly this reason that I don't like listening to hip-hop or rap (or sadly just about anything that my son likes) or watching any of those videos. And I can't stand going into clubs. Period. I've actually have to turn my head and look another way when I've seen people dancing like that in a club.

Maybe the difference (imo) is that I can choose to watch a video or not, choose to listen to a hip-hop song or not, or choose to go inside a club or not. But when I choose to watch the VMAs (which I didn't, so I don't know why I'm still ranting about this :grin:) and am assaulted with this sort of (unexpected?) performance, I can't change the channel fast enough to not have it seared into my eyeballs.

and am assaulted with this sort of (unexpected?) performance, I can't change the channel fast enough to not have it seared into my eyeballs.

Why was it unexpected though? That's what's confusing me. Miley Cyrus comes on stage and, keeping in mind everything that's been surrounding her the past few months, everyone expects a tame, no-big-deal performance?

Also, I'm not necessarily trying to talk bad about hip-hop, because I love hip-hop and there's a ton of hip-hop that does not objectify women, but it appears to be prevalent in hip-hop.

And I'm also not saying "It happens everywhere, so live with it", I'm saying that Miley isn't the problem. The problem has existed for a very long time, this is just another example of it. This isn't something new, something different. Men (and women) have been objectifying women for a very long time. That is the problem that needs to be addressed, and it has nothing to do with Miley Cyrus.

Edited by Guest

I'm sure there was an intent here, and it's been succeassful for both Cyrus and Thicke - publicity! In the plastic world of Hollywood and the pop music scene their act has served it's purpose well, as evidenced right here - everybody's talking. ;)

Miley isn't the problem. The problem has existed for a very long time, this is just another example of it. This isn't something new, something different. Men (and women) have been objectifying women for a very long time. That is the problem that needs to be addressed, and it has nothing to do with Miley Cyrus.

:bow:

yep, yep.

Sounds like Miley Cyrus knows what she's doing! Despite a false interview that made the rounds over the holiday weekend, the 20-year-old singer/actress has stayed mum on her feverishly debated MTV Video Music Awards performance of over one week ago -- until now. The "We Won't Stop" singer actually sat down with MTV three days after her polarizing Aug. 25 moment at Brooklyn's Barclays Center alongside Robin Thicke.

MTV.com released a video tease of the chat (part of an upcoming documentary), a poised Cyrus breaks her silence on the twerks seen round the world. "I don't pay attention to the negative because I've seen this play out so many times," she says of her many, many detractors, "How many times have we seen this play out in pop music?"

She adds of previous provocative VMAs moments: "Madonna's done it. Britney's done it. Every VMA performance, that's what you're looking for; you're wanting to make history." (A then lesser-known Madonna first had jaws dropping back at the 1984 VMAs, writhing on the floor in a wedding dress to the strains of "Like a Virgin"; her future make-out partner Britney Spears revealed her naughty side -- and a flesh-colored bodysuit -- performance "Oops I Did It Again" and "Satisfaction" at the 2000 show.)

And "history" was definitely on Cyrus and Thicke's mind before they hit the stage, she says. "Me and Robin the whole time said, 'You know we're about to make history right now.'"

"What's amazing is I think now, we're three days later and people are still talking about it. They're overthinking it," she exclaims.

"You're thinking about it more than I thought about it when I did it. Like, I didn't even think about it 'cause that's just me!"

Miley Breaks Silence ~ US Magazine

• 3 weeks later...

This was a random thing I came across. Wonder What Will Smith thought of this...

Mistaken Lyrics to "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" theme song places local schools on lockdown

AMBRIDGE, Pa. —

Schools across Beaver County were placed on lockdown Thursday after one person misheard a student's voicemail.

Police said a worker calling to confirm a doctor's appointment with an Ambridge High School student heard the theme song to the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" when she attempted to call. The worker said she called police when she misheard the lyrics -- which she claimed said "shooting people outside of school."

The actual lyrics to the song say "shooting some b-ball outside of school."

The call to 911 forced the entire district into lockdown for about 30 minutes and police said they detained the 19-year-old student for three hours while searching his locker, before determining that it was all one big misunderstanding.

"He was afraid and embarrassed. Obviously staff at the doctor's office was embarrassed about the whole thing too," said Ambridge police Officer Mike Natale.