So much more than Random Thoughts

_Laurie_

There were some good songs on it. One At A Time, Eminence Front, Ive Known No War, Dangerous, Cry If You Want....In fact, there are enough good songs on there to make me want to go replace the old cd that I have lost. Granted, its no Who's Next or Quadrophenia, but it does not suck.

My sister is having a weird procedure today. She was in a major car accident several months ago, and has since been having excruciating pain in her back and leg. So she's been on all kinds of painkillers and drugs (the real super duper strong stuff, oxycontin??) I know that when I broke one in half once and took only the half (for my back pain, because I'm a wussy) it made me soooo sick.

Anyway, the procedure she's having today is to kill the nerves in her back that lead down into her leg so she won't be able to feel it anymore. So it's a dangerous thing, and it's supposed to be very painful to undergo while they're injecting her back with the saddle block stuff (long needles and all that), but she's so excited about it, because after it's done, she'll be in considerably less pain.

Then she gets to go do it again in January for the other side. fun fun.

bless your heart, Marc. She's fine. Turns out that today's procedure was only a "test" to see if the real procedure was going to work! My sister didn't know that, though, and said she cried when they told her. However, it seems the real procedure, when she gets it in January, will work, so as long as she can hang with it another month or so it'll be halfway okay.

I don't know it it'll affect her walking... I don't think it will, though. That's something she would have mentioned to me if it would...

My sister had permanent nerve damage done when she got the epidural for her first kid. She found out when they made her walk after delivery when her knee buckled for no reason. She fell and broke her arm. That did pay for her house, but now she has to wear support hose that could be used as fire hose. I am sure your sister wont have any problems, though!

Marc, I've heard of nightmares like your sister's. Before I went in two summers ago to be gutted like a flounder, a friend's boyfriend told me that he knows someone who had the same sort of surgery that I was having, and is not permanently disabled because of what happened while they moved him around on the table (positioning, etc.) it caused something in his back or neck to be severed, and he can do nothing for himself anymore.

Ain't it grand when you've got friends that'll tell you that stuff right before they know you're about to have the same thing done? :doh: :doh:

I've never heard about anyone with complications from an epidural. I had epidurals with all three of my kids.

I worked with a young woman who had some trouble with her hip and her left leg, it was due to a complication from an epidural when she had her child... actually, it was rather some nurse who didn´t take all the precautions needed whith an epidural...

Marc,

I don't recall being told about any possible risks. This might be a generality on my part, but I assume the United States is more litigious than Canada, so it would be very important to deal with risk in your country.

Quite frankly, I would have been open to just about any pain relief...I'm a bit of a wimp.

The Peachlette decided she was going to be born a month earlier than her due date. At that point, I hadn't really thought about an epidural. The doctor asked me if I wanted one while I was having serious labor pains. I was so freaked out, I said yes. Sure, it was nice to not have pain, but I really, really regret it. It was like she was born and I was just an onlooker.