The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #81

Lucky

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Kodachrome - Paul Simon (1973)

2. Alexander - Electric Banana (The Pretty Things) (1969)

3. Boulevard de la Madeleine - The Moody Blues (1966)

4. Reach Out (I'll be There) - The Four Tops (1966)

5. I Can't Get Next To You - The Temptations (1969)

6. Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band (1977)

7. Cracklin' Rosie - Neil Diamond (1970)

8. Peaceful Easy Feeling - The Eagles (1972)

9. Shape I'm In, The - The Band (1970)

10. Ain't Wasting Time No More - Allman Brothers (1972)

1) Glory Box - Portishead (1994)

2) Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - Monty Python (1979)

3) Mirror In The Bathroom - The (English) Beat (1980)

4) I Hear You Knockin' - Dave Edmunds (1970)

5) Revolution Will Not Be Televised, The - Gil Scott-Heron (1970)

6) Reach Out (I'll be There) - The Four Tops (1966)

7) 2+2=5 - Radiohead (2003)

8) Cracklin' Rosie - Neil Diamond (1970)

9) 1979 - Smashing Pumpkins (1995)

10) I'll Stick Around - Foo Fighters (1995)

I was given the okay to change my votes, so here's v1.1 :)

1. Glory Box - Portishead (1994)

2. Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - Monty Python (1979)

3. I'll Stick Around - Foo Fighters (1995)

4. 1979 - Smashing Pumpkins (1995)

5. Impression That I Get, The - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (1997)

6. Mirror In The Bathroom - The (English) Beat (1980)

7. Revolution Will Not Be Televised, The - Gil Scott-Heron (1970)

8. I Hear You Knockin' - Dave Edmunds (1970)

9. 2+2=5 - Radiohead (2003)

10. Runaround - Blues Traveler (1994)

I am wondering - and not intending to imply any prejudice one way or another - if a vote for Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life is a vote for Monty Python's group of comedians and their associated comedic acting success, moreso than a vote for the musicality or message associated with the song. If that song were done by any other group of musicians would it poll as well as it seems to be doing here?

I'd imagine it would be the same as if somebody would vote for an inferior song by a famous group...

and really, I don't know about you, but in some cases I don't know if I like certain songs because they're objectivly great, or because I'm a fan of the band...

ultimately it's all about personal taste...

:)

It may not be the greatest song music-wise, but it's quite funny, like something from Weird Al Yankovic, whose songs are funny, catchy, recognizable, and, in some cases, even enjoyable. Most people recognize the Python classic, and, yes, if it were performed by someone else of note, e.g. Bob Rivers or The Simpson or even George Costanza, it would still be funny, recognizable, and would score a few points on this list.

And don't tell me that you've never caught yourself whistling this catchy tune? I know I have.

Continue to rock on, eb'rybody! No matter what kind of crap you rock out to.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Stone Cold - Rainbow (1982)

Ain't Wasting Time No More - Allman Brothers (1972)

Learning To Fly - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (1991)

Sugar Mountain - Neil Young (1968

Fly Away - Blackfoot (1981)

Freewill - Rush - (1980)

While You See A Chance - Steve Winwood (1986)

Please Come To Boston - Dave Loggins (1974)

Too Late For Goodbyes - Julian Lennon (1984)

How Long - Ace (1974)

1. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised - Gil Scott-Heron

2. Your Funeral and My Trial - Sonny Boy Williamson

3. I Can't Get Next To You - Temptations

4. Go Where You Wanna Go - Mamas & Papas

5. Reach Out (I'll Be There) - Four Tops

6. You're Still The One - Shania

7. Ain't Wasting Time No More - Allman Brothers

8. Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - Monty Python

9. I Hear You Knockin' - Dave Edmunds

10. Peaceful Easy Feeling - Eagles

1-How Long - Ace (1974) Always have loved this song. Ace reminds me of Pablo Cruise.

2-Shape I'm In, The - The Band (1970) They deserve a song in each Top Ten list.

3-Drowning In Your Eyes - Ephraim Lewis (1992) Look Martin, a '90's tune from Uncle.

4-Friends - Buzzy Linhart (1971) Next we'll check out his Cheat, Cheat, Lied.

5-Kodachrome - Paul Simon (1973) It gives us such nice, bright colors.

6-Hot Blooded - Foreigner (1978) I always think of the very first episode of WKRP In Cinncinatti when Dr. Johnny Fever plays this one for the "kiddies".

7-Revolution Will Not Be Televised, The - Gil Scott-Heron (1970) Uh, what's the word? Johannesburg!

8-Runaround - Blues Traveler (1994) Another '90's tune...I must be getting young.

9-Go Where You Wanna Go - The Mamas & The Papas (1965) I could never decide which was better...this version or The Fifth Dimension's?

10-Peaceful Easy Feeling - The Eagles (1972) And I found out a long time ago- what a woman can do to your soul- Ah, but she can't take you anyway- You don't already know how to go

Had to omit some real favorites this time.

I am wondering - and not intending to imply any prejudice one way or another - if a vote for Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life is a vote for Monty Python's group of comedians and their associated comedic acting success, moreso than a vote for the musicality or message associated with the song. If that song were done by any other group of musicians would it poll as well as it seems to be doing here?

That's as may be, but could your musings not have waited until after the voting had finished? Now that you have queried the value of my nomination and the motives of those voting for it, this may influence the choices of those yet to vote. }:(

I tend to disagree in any case. "Always Look On The Bright Side" peaked at #3 in the UK singles chart and has remained popular in the UK as a chant heard at football stadia around the country. It has a very catchy tune and great lyrics, which stand up to more than the merest superficial analysis, satirising the stereotypical stoicism of the English. In my opinion, it is a better song allround than many others that have graced the Top Ten, or been nominated for it, at least. Billy Idol's "Eyes Without A Face"??? Sheesh, gimme a break! ;)

I'm not a huge Monty Python fan, although I did think "The Life Of Brian" was a great film. I nominated this song because on Tuesday morning I was in one of those "you have to laugh or else you'd cry" situations at work, to which many of us could probably relate, and to which "ALOTBSOL" is the perfect antidote.

If a song is tuneful, entertaining, comedic but with an underlying pathos, and has a message that can be related to almost universally, does that not set it ahead of most of the "competition"?

regarding the posts above about the Monty Python song...

In my world, the artist who performed the song is equally as important as the song itself. When I nominated Steve Martin's "King Tut" I did it because the song itself made me happy - brought back good memories, etc. but it would not have been so, probably, had it been performed by someone else who was not so schooled in the comedic arts. The same could be said for covers of songs - some people like the originals best, some people like the covers best.

The upshot being I believe the artist is voted for equally with the song they're being voted for performing, regardless of the style.

What are you disagreeing with? I made no assertions, said I had no prejudice. I simply had a curious question. People comment on songs on the current noms and vote list all the time, or it seems like they do? I certainly was not "querying the value of your nomination" ... LOL look at the stuff I nominated!!!

But you are right, I should have waited until after the votes were tallied. My mind sometimes does not hold on to thoughts long enough for me to trust waiting. Sorry if I tainted your nomination's chances at winning.

A VOTE FOR BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE IS A VOTE FOR A BRIGHTER LIFE!!!!

Hope that helps, B-F. I really didn't mean to cause a problem.

1. Hysteria - Def Leppard (1987)

2. 1979 - Smashing Pumpkins (1995)

3. Glory Box - Portishead (1994)

4. I'll Stick Around - Foo Fighters (1995)

5. Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - Monty Python (1979)

6. Kodachrome - Paul Simon (1973)

7. 2+2=5 - Radiohead (2003)

8. Mirror In The Bathroom - The (English) Beat (1980)

9. Impression That I Get, The - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (1997)

10. Learning To Fly - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (1991)

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #81 for the week ending 23rd September 2007

1. Kodachrome - Paul Simon (1973)

2. I Hear You Knockin’ - Dave Edmunds (1970)

3. Reach Out (I'll Be There) - The Four Tops (1966)

4. Peaceful Easy Feeling - The Eagles (1972)

5. I Can't Get Next To You - The Temptations (1969)

6. Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - Monty Python (1979)

7. Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band (1977)

8. Shape I'm In, The - The Band (1970)

9. Go Where You Wanna Go - The Mamas & The Papas (1965)

10. Main Street - Bob Seger (1976)

What are you disagreeing with? I made no assertions, said I had no prejudice. I simply had a curious question.

Fair point S2V. I dunno what happened there: sudden rush of blood to the head?

Being one of the younger crowd, European and into mostly "non mainstream" stuff, it's fairly unusual for me to nominate something you've all heard of and maybe even like; for a moment there I thought you might put everyone off by suggesting that it was the "lowest common denominator choice". I know there was no harm intended.