marijuana legalization

Batman

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insight for Marc. Cigar enjoyment is less when stoned. The subtleties of the cigar's aroma are lost because of the invasive nature of the pot odor lingering in the olfactory nerves. This is ... uh ... what I heard from a friend, a few months ago. Yeah ... I heard that from a friend. He didn't say if eating a doped brownie would help that situation, since there'd be no olfactory interference. But he may report to me about that at some point in the future.

Had a great Monte Cristo and a mug of choco/coffee out on the porch last night, while watching a storm approach from way off to the west. Times like that, no herb can improve.

Ron, I have no intention of mixing the two. I talking about the pipe dream (so to speak) of the taxing weed causing the taxation of cigars to be less than it is now.

One of my favorite combos is a nice cigar with a nice coffee. Cubans are a little cost prohibitive, so if I want a good combo, I will go with a Padron Aniversario and a good mocha. Mmmmmm.

Was your Monte Cristo a #2?

Smott, just like you, I´ve been smoking pot every day since 1973 and when I got bored, in the late eighties, I just stopped smoking. Voilà. No withdrawal. No problemo. No nostalgia. Nothing. I still smoke because I like to fall asleep stoned or because I want to do it in a party or at home and I never had an accident nor stole money to buy it nor anything.

Sue, I don´t know what will happen if it becomes legal. I guess the countries that grow it will have to fight againts mafias who will want to controll the production and in any case, it will be more expensive. Of course, it will be taxed and goverments will get lots of money from that. I believe it will not be allowed to smoke it everywhere, just like with tobacco now.

I don´t care if I have to pay more for my few vices... I have very little (vices) so I can afford them... and enjoy them too... :cool:

It was a #4. About mid-range as far a Cristos go, but still an excellent cigar. I got 2 for Christmas from a good friend. The only better Cubans I have had, so far, is the Partagas Series P #2. Expensive, even here ... about $20 U.S. apiece. Good thing Cuba is all about sharing the wealth/resources with the common masses and isn't into capitalism; or imagine how expensive those cigars would be! LOL

To answer your question Earth-Angel

Smott is a man with a questioning, curious nature, and he used this 'binge' process to experiment with his own body, rather than relying on second hand fact and opinion, on the addictiveness of the substance, and it was fun- that might sound stupid/and or dangerous, but if the world is ever going to see mj as mostly harmless then there are going to have to be more people like smott.

It comes down to 'Your body, your choice'

And as far as comparing it to binge drinking, well, first off being a bit high is nothing like being drunk... not that I'm saying "GO DRIVE HIGH!!!!!!!" walking is perfectly appropriate and fun anyway- but drunkeness is just so sloppy and occasionally painful, and altho it produces a bit of an 'elated' feeling, the crash to depression is horrible and immediate- whereas a mj 'burnout' is relaxing. also I would never be able to play music with any bit of alchy in my system, whereas mj is beneficial in the fact that it 'opens' my ears up and can better hear detail and background tones

Tho while I consider myself fairly familiar with mj, not so much with that alcomohol, so you don't have to take my word for it

and for your last question.. yes, not as much, unless I am giving a good reason to prove it's non-addictiveness once again.

oh, and one last alco/mj comparison, if I had drank solid for 3-4 months, as in every day, and then promptly stopped, there is a good chance I would have developed the DTs, and been sicker than sick and shaky and awful for months afterwards... whereas when I started my mj 'withdrawal' I woke up, went for a jog and had some breakfast...

If trade between Cuba and the US is ever renewed, I have a feeling that cigars will still be super expensive. My favorites are the Hoyo de Monterey dbl corona and the Partagas Lucitania cabinet selection. I have to admit, I have never smoked a Cuban cigar I did not like!

Another response to Sue:

Like miss edna, Miss Lucky began smoking pot in 1971, at the age of 15. By '74 I was probably smoking on a daily basis (by desire, not need), and continued to do so until probably 1980 or so. From that time on I have smoked off and on, whenever the urge hits me. Still do. I equate it with the person that has a beer after work, or a glass of wine with dinner. I'm neither proud of it, or ashamed of it. It's simply what I do. To my knowledge it's never caused any problems in my life.

That's not to say that it doesn't cause some people problems however. People that have "addictive personalities" to begin with. Those people would have problems with whatever their drug of choice is, in my opinion, ( be it pot, alcohol, cigarettes, or something worse ). I have known people that definatly lost some of their ambition due to the love of pot. The song "Cause I Got High" isn't just a clever song, I've known people that fell into that trap. To be competely honest, I think that would be the worst outcome. That it would be more readily available to those addictive personalities.

I think the worst case scenario is that Reynolds and Morris would gain a monopoly over it and put even more bad chemicals in it.

The best case scenario is that it is legalized and government regulated so that when you go to 7-11 and buy a joint (that is unaffilliated with cigarette companies), you know that what you are smoking is natural, and just pure THC, rather than when you get it off the street and you really have no idea what's in it. Then more people smoke it and our country just chills out a little bit, and we finally become a great nation. Also, the groups of pretentious and elitist stoners find out that this culture they're a part of actually isn't so special, and in reality everyone does it and has at least a bit of knowledge about it, and their egoes are massively deflated.

You've got that right Batman. Driving impaired, is driving impaired, regardless of what is causing the impairment. I believe alcohol to be the greater of the 2 evils, but you don't get a free pass cause you're high, as opposed to drunk, from me.

I think that people have a very optimistic view of what it would be like if it were legalized. At that point, it becomes a legitimate business, like any other, with all the commercialization that goes with it. :(

Edited by Guest

No, the worst case scenario is clearly that we will spend our time rolling doobies in a van down by the river.

I kid- I doubt that tobacco companies or any corporate entity would be able to get their hands on this hash, er, cash crop should it be legalized, there are already plenty of people that grow privately that are quite good at it, that would probably be more than happy to go public, and the usual marijuana smoker would be kind of wary about buying from 'One of those evil corporations, man'

No, the worst case scenario is clearly that we will spend our time rolling doobies in a van down by the river.

I kid- I doubt that tobacco companies or any corporate entity would be able to get their hands on this hash, er, cash crop should it be legalized, there are already plenty of people that grow privately that are quite good at it, that would probably be more than happy to go public, and the usual marijuana smoker would be kind of wary about buying from 'One of those evil corporations, man'

Not sure how true this is, but I've heard from a huge stoner that Reynolds has a huge marijuana field somewhere in Europe (I can't remember the country), and marketing plans for weed cigarettes, so they can monopolize the market as soon as it becomes legal.

And I'm not sure if there is such a demographic as "the average marijuana smoker." I mean, so many people smoke weed. It's got more crossover appeal than Kanye West. Alcohol is probably the only substance that unifies our country more. Weed is smoked by greasy hippies, hip indie kids, the white man in the expensive suit, the black man on the street, your English teacher, the English majors, the cancer patients trying a last resort medication, Snoop Dogg, the popular party-going teenager...it's really just a wonderful thing that many many people share in common, some of which are anti-big business and some of which who couldn't care less.

However, I might add that if it is ever made legal, I will not buy it in stores, I will grow it myself. More cost effective. Plus, I enjoy rolling my stuff myself. I'm not the most trustworthy guy on the planet but I definitely trust myself more than I trust Philip Morris.

If it was legal I woouldn´t grow my own. Experience shows me that Colombian weed (for me at least) is the best there is.

Mexican too. I never tried Hawaïian pot but I´ve smoked some from the North of Africa and hasch coming from Morocco, Pakistan, Afghanistan or Lebanon... and Colombian weed is by far the best...