marijuana legalization

Batman

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legal means legal. No penalties whatsoever due to the buying, selling, possessing or purchasing, just the same as alcohol. That does NOT mean that you couldn't still get a ticket, say, for driving under the influence, contributing to the deliquency of a minor, be at fault, if in an accident while under the influence etc. Fairly reasonable to my way of thinking, as I belong to the group that believes the bigger evil lies in the consumption of alcohol.

Decriminalization means that while it is not condoned, and the selling, purchase and posession of large quantities would still be considered a major crime, the use/and or possesion of small amounts for personal use is not considered a major offense. At worst, you would recieve a ticket similar to a traffic ticket.

I've seen alcohol absolutely ruin people's lives. I've not seen the use of marijuana only do anything even close to that. As a child of the 70's I've seen an awful lot. If you can't guess, I voted for the legalization of marijuana.

then I'm for 'legal' :) ... treat it like other legal drugs (alcohol, tobacco - is second hand smoking of cannabis harmful too?)

There are lots of ongoing arguements about the second hand smoke issue, and the health issues regarding the smoking of marijuana in general. I don't know all the ins and outs of this. However I do know that there is NO NICOTINE in marijuana. There may be other harmful ingredients, but nicotine is not the issue.

Also, being in the medical professions, I've learned several things about the benefits of marijuana to certain health conditions. It is very beneficial to those that suffer from severe gluacoma. More so than that, it is extremely beneficial to cancer patients, as it stimulates the appetite, provides pain relief, and induces relaxation. I've heard from many doctors and pharmacists, that if they had a family member that they felt would benefit from the use of marijuana, they would obtain it for them, legal or not.

I voted for legalization.

If it were treated as alcohol, I believe we would see a radical shift in the violence within the drug underworld. While there would still be markets for addictive (and remaining illegal) substances like herion, cocaine and other various chemical conglomeration calamities; the legalization of pot would keep many who eventually wander into indulging these other drugs within a more mainstream, controllable environment.

Problem is, what politician wants it on their resumé that they endorsed a previously illegal drug? Any legalization will need to come after much education and clarification of enforcement strategies.

There was this study I learnt about in class two years ago. I think it's good proof:

Alcohol, THC and Aggression

Most people recognize that there is a relationship between certain drugs and aggressive behavior. For instance, the justification for banning certain drugs has been that they stimulate violent behavior (e.g., Temperance movement). Taylor and his associates (e.g., Schmutte & Taylor, 1980; Taylor, 1976) conducted a series of studies which permit a comparison of the effects of alcohol and marijuana on aggression. Subjects were given the opportunity to set the shock level for their "opponent" in a reaction-time test. Persons given low levels of either alcohol or THC administered about the same intensity of shocks as a control group which received no drug. However, persons who drank either large amounts of alcohol or consumed large amounts of THC were affected by the drugs. High levels of alcohol produced a pronounced increase in aggression and high levels of marijuana resulted in slightly less aggression than controls. Until more studies are conducted, we should not conclude that THC is an effective aggression reducing drug.

THC is the active ingredient in marijuana

My friend interviewed a doctor for a health class and found out that 2nd hand smoke from cigarettes is a myth. Many people who report 2nd hand smoke are actually marijuana smokers.

I think legalization could do wonders for the meth epidemic in America.

2nd hand smoke from cigarettes is a myth.

are you sure about that?

I just think, given the way my clothes and hair smell after a few hours in a bar or pub, I somehow can't believe that being exosed to that in great quantities of time is NOT harmful :P

I should have reworded that sentence. I'm not saying there's no such thing as 2nd hand smoke. Two of my best friends smoke and it makes the air smell bad and it gets on my clothes. I'm just saying it's probably not going to give you cancer, like everyone seems to believe.

I voted legal...

I think the world would be a much happier place...

also I've seen what alcohol can do to people...it affects themselves and others around them...It causes people to have bad tempers, beat their wives/husbands, causes fatal accidents...etc....you don't really see that from someone who was just "high"....

Fast food places could benefit also.... :jester:

Edited by Guest