The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #74

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you tell ? All the interviews I've seen her in, she's been screaming at and physically attacking the Media. We know her as BJERK in Australia.

:P

And Baker Man is OK, but I don't know if it warrants congratulations. ;)

And b-f didn't tell me if he considers 'Sheena Is A Punk Rocker' true Punk !!!

'Secret Santa' Laurie. Throw 'em back if you don't like 'em ! :laughing:

I'm terrible. I know what I'm going to nominate a week before, then I see other songs I like in my Music Books, hear more on the radio, and I change my mind. I think I'll have to start the 'drawing out of a hat' method - after next week's Biggie. I have 2 I'm NOT changing, unless someone nominates them before.

:headphones:

How can you tell ? All the interviews I've seen her in, she's been screaming at and physically attacking the Media. We know her as BJERK in Australia.

maybe you have the wrong media in Australia? :P

And Baker Man is OK, but I don't know if it warrants congratulations. ;)

and another quote from you:

Bakerman - Laid Back: I like it very much on first hearing. I've saved it to my favorites for further listening. Look away from the Clip and it's almost Country Rock !

:smirk:

Has she made a regular habit of that? I thought it was just the one (widely-reported) incident.

It's a bit like me saying "Mick Jagger? Isn't he the guy who urinates in petrol stations?"

Either way, I hope you haven't denied yourself the pleasure of listening to Bjork's wonderful and unique voice, on account of her occasional aggressive conduct towards some paparazzi parasite. Which is more important in life: the privilege of being able to listen to music that can uplift your very soul, or the "right" to glimpse a blurred snapshot of some harrassed individual trying to go about his/her business with some degree of privacy?

And b-f didn't tell me if he considers 'Sheena Is A Punk Rocker' true Punk !!!

Well, of course it is, matey! Great nomination! :thumbsup:

I'll address these issues one at a time. :laughing:

Bakerman - Laid Back: I like it very much on first hearing.

I'll listen to it once more (at least). :grin:

How dare you point out Darryl's senility!!

Paul Newman was voted one of the World's sexiest men at my age. ;)

I hope you haven't denied yourself the pleasure of listening to Bjork's wonderful and unique voice, on account of her occasional aggressive conduct towards some papparazzi parasite.

I'll have to be honest and say I probably have. She's never been very popular in Australia, and the AM stations I listen to don't play her at all. :P

Well, of course it is, matey! Great nomination!

Thank you, Songfacts' Resident Expert On Punk. :bow:

:)

I just had a look in my Australian and Queensland (my State, up North) Chart Books. She had 3 Hits nationally, and 6 here in Queensland. Our DJs have usually been more adventurous than their Southern counterparts, though probably not the AM stations I listen to.

'It's Oh So Quiet' was her biggest Hit here. I'll search that one out - I might even know it. Also I listened to 'Big Time Sensuality', which charted in Queensland I see, but I don't kmow it. Quite pleasant, but it'd probably take a few hearings to really appreciate it.

I hope these discussions in Songfacts will help me ward off 'senility'.

Goodnight All. :)

Although I haven't been a very dedicated follower of Bjork's solo career,(only having two of her albums), I do have what might be described as a "long-standing interest". I first saw her in 1984 when she was fronting Icelandic avant-garde/goth-punks KUKL, when they toured with UK anarcho-punk bands Flux Of Pink Indians and Chumbawamba. KUKL released two albums on the Crass label- "The Eye" and "Holidays In Europe"- both of which I have on vinyl: wonder if they're worth anything?

Later KUKL mutated into The Sugarcubes, whose debut single "Birthday" I bought immediately upon seeing their first TV appearance in summer 1987. Subsequently, I wasn't hugely into The Sugarcubes but continued to show an interest, (taped the albums, bought the "Best Of", etc)

I have the first two of Bjork's solo albums, "Debut" and "Post", but have kind of lost touch with her over recent years, (my fault, not hers). But I do strongly feel that she's one of those "maverick creative genius" types who ought to be encouraged. Adventurous, experimental, unconcerned by the vagaries of "what's in fashion", a pioneer (not a follower). Opinion may be divided on her remarkable vocal talent- an "acquired taste" perhaps?- but she also writes and arranges her own material (albeit in collaboration with some of the most gifted arrangers/producers around...) and is an instinctive performance artist.

Also, contrary to her kooky, eccentric, extrovert image, she's actually pretty down to earth; doesn't have her head wedged firmly up her own hole, like so many of these "international superstar" sorts.

Incidentally, you Aussies do quite right to refer to her as "Bjerk", (assuming you are pronouncing the "j" as a "y": Byerk) since that's pretty much exactly how her name is correctly pronounced. :P