The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #65

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just sick and tired of seeing the SAME songs week after week. There's thousands ----> tens of thousands of songs to choose from... I would like to see fresh, succulent nominations each week, not the same old stale nominations.

A quick search of the archives (using the find function) is all that's neccesary. I do it every week.

I couldn't agree more, Bluesboy! We seem to get more and more renominations every week.

I couldn't agree more, Bluesboy! We seem to get more and more renominations every week.

I really don't want any rules either for nominations each week. If people like this idea for a special top ten down the road... that's fine.

I don't use renominations in my future top tens. To me, once a song is used I go on to other ideas for songs. I don't like to vote for renominations either, unless I need to fill out my voting with ten selections.

Rosa Lee McFall - Jerry Garcia/David Grisman/Tony Rice (2000) off The Pizza Tapes

Heart of the Night - Poco (1978)

I don't agree about only giving a song one chance. There's many good songs have missed out first time around and susequently made it on renomination.

When I do re-nominate a song I only do it once though.

BTW: Our Top Ten was started as a venue for Pop songs and good Album tracks - not unknown or little known songs that only the nominator or a minority of people would know. I thought that was why we started the 'Videos For Prospective Nominations' Thread - to run them by others before nominating!

Thank both of you for your thoughts, Shawna and Ron. :)

I've yet to discuss the idea with Lucky, whom I haven't seen around today, but neither Martin nor I are really in favor of excluding renominations from our Tens. However, Dappled has said he can produce a List, so I suppose there's no harm in giving it a try sometime, similar to the "NO #1s" we have occasionally.

:headphones:

Ok, Lucky's quick two cents:

I think Bluesy was just stating his opinion, and throwing a suggestion for a one time deal out there. Not too big a deal, the same way others have. If it's not a popular one, so be it.

I will say that what makes a song top ten material in my mind, has nothing to do with whether or not it was a hit song, or is well known, or was a top 40 tune, or an FM album track. It's what I think is the best offered that week.

Now, can we play music?? :grin:

Sigh ! I never thought I'd long for the days when we had countless Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, etc. nominations.

At least they were real songs, FM or otherwise. What's the good of nominating a song and only the Nominator votes for it ? We certainly started the Ten as an 'alternative' to the Songfacts Top Tens which perennially featured the same songs, but surely we don't want to get 'too way out'?

Now, as Lucky said, let's get on with the Music !!

:P

I vote what I want for, regardless of its success, fame, etc. And I just make sure it didn´t make the Ten Top before. I have rediscovered songs I had forgotten thanks to posters nominating obscure tracks.

Now, I agree we first must post those obscure tracks on the "Thread for Next Nominations"... :cool:

Thanks edna. Now I don't want to 'muzzle' any coversation/opinions, but I'd like to just get things back on track by recapping our Nominations To Date, which aren't many so far. Let's concentrate on making this a Good Top Ten !

Laurie:

Sundown ~ Gordon Lightfoot

Dancing In The Moonlight ~ King Harvest

c_s_1987:

Eruption - Van Halen

Firth Of Fifth - Genesis

Lucky:

From The Beginning ~ Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Double Shot Of My Baby's Love ~ The Swinging Medallions

Shawna:

Rosanna ~ Toto

These Days ~ Rascal Flatts

ryansgirl:

Strip - Adam Ant

Box of Rain - Grateful Dead

OLD55:

Fever - Peggy Lee

Mellow Yellow - Donovan

rayzor:

Locomotive Breath ~ Jethro Tull

Back In Black ~ AC/DC

edna:

Oh, Diane - Fleetwood Mac

Lady of the Night - Donna Summer

Dappled:

The Wreck of Marie Antoinette - Dave Dee, etc.

Marie Leveau - Dr John and Cyril Neville

Steel2Velvet:

Biggest Part Of Me - Ambrosia

Footstompin' Music - Grand Funk Railroad

The Seeker:

Whiskey In the Jar -- Thin Lizzy

She's Not There -- Santana

Levis:

7 seconds - Youssou N'Dour and Neneh Cherry

Phil:

Hot Legs - Rod Stewart

Do You Know What I Mean - Lee Michaels

CanAm:

Down At The Twist & Shout - Mary Chapin Carpenter

Turn The Page - Bob Seger

bluesboy:

Rosa Lee McFall - Jerry Garcia/David Grisman/Tony Rice

Heart of the Night - Poco

:stars:

I like renominations... the nominations get more obscure as it is, simply because we've had 64 top tens already and covered quite a few songs, so naturally nominations get more obscure as time progresses... and if there were no renominations, I think that'd be even worse. :)

Goodnight All !!! It's been a long and trying day.

Hopefully we'll get a flood of Nominations overnight.

:help:

Also please don't forget to vote in our #11s Top Ten Special.

Who is the mystery 60s Artist that's had 2 #11s ???

The Winner will receive an autographed Pic of Miss Universe in a swimsuit, which Kevin is arranging.

:headphones: