The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #62

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, sorry, time for my nominations:

Belfast Child - Simple Minds

Supper's Ready - Genesis

I might post YouTube videos for these later.

Then again, I might not post one for Supper's Ready. Supper's Ready has a similar style to Bohemian Rhapsody, except that it's 23 minutes long. I think it is an amazing song. Some of the comments on the Songfacts for it say it is "the greatest musical achievement in the history of mankind" (or something to that effect), but I wouldn't go that far. :P

Winchester Cathedral - New Vaudeville Band Video

Together - P J Proby The music

Legend has it that Jimmy Page played the guitar solo on this one, but it's actually the great Big Jim Sullivan.

Were you too unaware of these amazing facts about Big Jim Sullivan:

• Ritchie Blackmore and Steve Howe were given guitar lessons by Sullivan.
    Sullivan, together with Ritchie Blackmore and Pete Townshend, persuaded Jim Marshall to make amplifiers.
    Sullivan was known as Big Jim, whilst Jimmy Page was known as Little Jim.
    Sullivan did arrangements for the orchestral version of The Who's Tommy.
    Sullivan toured with Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran on the fateful tour that ended Cochran's life.
    Sullivan introduced the 12 string guitar to the UK in 1959.
    Sullivan played on the first record in the UK to use a Fuzzbox - P.J. Proby's "Hold Me".
    Sullivan played on the first records in the UK to use a Wah Wah Pedal - Dave Berry's "The Crying Game" and Michael Cox's "Sweet Little Sixteen".
    Sullivan and the Krew Kats were the warm up act on Oh, Boy!.
    He is credited with "vocal chorus" on Alexis Korner's seminal album R&B At The Marquee.
    He played on Georgie Fame's first album Rhythm & Blues at the Flamingo.
    He was the resident guitarist at Top of the Pops and Ready Steady Go!. He also helped out at Saturday Club.
    He was the most prolific session guitarist in the UK, playing on fifty nine number one UK hit singles.

More info here.

And don't forget CanAm's other nomination Lucky !!!

Rock "N" Roll Is King - E.L.O.

This would have been one of the last 45 rpm records I bought in the 80s. I love it. I remember getting The Hollies' revival of 'Stop In The Name Of Love' the same day.

From 44 Nominations so far, I have 19 on my List already. BUT only 5 of those are 'definites' so let's have some more great nominations. Where's the Brits ?

Goodnight All. :)