Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dumb question (maybe): if it's a Word document created on a Mac, is it transferrable to a PC? Because my desktop is a PC and I will have to have something that can go from here to there and vice versa.

I like the idea of a Mac... I hadn't thought of that, it's certainly worth checking out. :)

Absolutely. They've created Microsoft Office very compatible with PCs. When you save your document it will ask you what you want it to be (.doc etc.) and it will tell you what that is compatible with. I love my Mac very much. And I love my Beatles decal that I got here. :D

I'm a Mac guy. And I love my Mac. I've got MS Word on it and Safari is a great web browser though sometimes I like to use Google Chrome. And my favorite part, you can't get a virus on it :D.

Only downside (for someone who's a non-gamer or non-computer programmer) is the cost. But personally, I think it's well worth it.

I thought most people use (and love) Macs because that way they don't have anything to do with Microsoft!? :D

I like the idea of a Mac... I hadn't thought of that, it's certainly worth checking out. :)

I absolutelly agree with Rocky. I've been a mac user since the early 90s and switched to PC one year ago because my two macs are a bit old (and still waiting to be updated) But Mac is the best and you won't regret it... i's worth the price.

Since your desktop is a PC, I recommend you to stick with Windows. It'll be much easier to link them in a network (for file sharing and printing).

Also you had a Dell before, that was a good choice, stick with it. I use Dell too (for many years), they have great products and when you have trouble, their support is the best. Keep an eye open for promo's on their website, could save you some money.

Are you planning on gaming or image processing (like photoshop etc.), then you'll need a decent graphics card. Otherwise, you'll be fine with a powerfull processor and 4 or more GB of RAM

link to Dell's laptop search site.

happy hunting :)

I thought most people use (and love) Macs because that way they don't have anything to do with Microsoft!? :D

Haha I need Word for school. But I love everything else about my Mac. Especially the "no virus" thing. And all the things that are cool but not really useful. Like the dimming screen and all.

Since this is "Ask a Songfactor," I figure I'm s'posed to ask you Songfactors stuff. So here's another thing I'm gathering opinions about - this one for a friend.

Scenario: you are having a/c troubles and are looking for a service company. You do an Internet search and are faced with a list of company names.

Outside of doing the obvious (reading reviews, etc.) which types of company names catch your eye first and would make you most likely to click on that link before the others?

the "catchy" family-name type: Kolar Bear Air (rhymes with "polar bear")

the business-like type: Guardian Air Conditioning

the business-like family-name type: Parker and Sons Air Conditioning

Your opinions are, as always, invaluable. :)

I would probably call the business who had a big informative ad and was local. In the past few years we've had a lot of work done on our house and I have found that local providers have given better customer service than national chains.

Another thing I would suggest Shawna (just because your city is fairly large) is running the company she may choose through the BBB. It may be another on-line step but it's well worth the time.

They have a very user friendly site and I have had to use and contact them a couple of times myself. She can type their name into the site and it will give her an instant report on them.

If she ends up having a problem with her company of choice these people will set em straight. Link

Edited by Guest

so you guys are saying that the name of a company doesn't dictate one way or another? It's the peripheral information that causes you to call them or not call?

Unless it's called "Hitler&Sons" or "Phil Collins Company" I wouldn't care much for the name...

"Hitler&Sons"

They do my landscaping! I was wondering why all my hedges are in the shape of swastikas!

But I just don't have the heart to fire him. Poor guy...he's got that little mustache and that greasy hair....probably lives in an old, broken down bus somewhere. And the sons...whhuuhhhh...ugliest little things you've ever seen! And they look a bit under-nourished.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: