What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

It's not so much what is grinding my gears as what is (almost) causing me to papper my trolleys.

Mrs Fitter and the Fitter progeny have gone to her mum's for the day, leaving me with a "To Do" list. Don't mind that so much, but the main task is to top a row of evergreens that form a border between ourselves and three neighbouring gardens. The trees are bound together by knots of ivy and such. I have to reduce this dense knottage of tree and hedge by about 3ft, down to a height of approximately 6ft. Hence, my afternoon's work involves the use of an electric hedge-trimmer, long-arm manual clippers and, to deal with the thickest trees, a bow-saw; all while precariously perched atop a set of rickety step-ladders- leant against the hedge and standing on uneven ground- and with nobody around to either hold the ladder or call an ambulance in the event I should fall / sever a forearm, whatever. Several times, the ladder has started to tip to one side, and it's all I can do not to soil my undies. :(

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, here's your trouble. In my experience, it generaly takes a group of at least 3 men to tackle any sort of job like this. At least 2 to stand back, hands in pockets, deep in discussion about said project and tossing out fairly stupid suggestions. Then third guy that's actually doing the job (that would be you b-f, wobbling on said ladder). Don't you have a couple of neighbors that could stand around tossing out stupid suggestions?? That would be much more helpful. :P;)

Hmmmm. I've finished the hedge-trimming. (As far as I 'm concerned, anyway; job looks "done" to me.) Now I'm on the horns of a dilemma: what to do with the veritable mountain of foliage? I could try clearing it all away by myself, before the rest of the family get home, but if I do that, Mrs Fitter will never be able to see for herself just how much work I've done.

Grrrrr....speaking of hubbies....We got directions from mapquest to the venue to the Little Feat concert...Right in the middle of the city, with a bunch of one-way streets, and then we ended up getting lost....I said why don't we just stop and ask for directions.....but nooooo, he's determined to find this place without stopping and asking for directions...well we finally found the place, but showed up too late to meet the band...Oh Well...the concert was awesome, and we did end up having a good time after all............

Not getting to a place on time totally blows. I always plan ahead by leaving an hour early so I can afford to get lost a little. I also write down the directions and carry two Thomas guides with marked pages. So far, I've gotten truly lost once this year - in the parking lot of the LA County Fair at night trying to look for me vehicle (I had to end up asking for help from security) :puppyeyes: