The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #47

Lucky

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edna, that probably wouldn't be a good idea, since we two would be the only ones voting for it ;)

Laurie, I'm sorry, but several weeks ago (or has it been months? :shocked:) I made a deal with myself to only nominate 90s (or 00s) songs until one of them gets a #1

and that can take a few years... ;) :grin: :P

^ yes, I know that :bow: :thumbsup:

but sadly (imho) it's a fact that the 90s don't have a big lobby here (I mean songs like "Come as you are" or "Under the Bridge" just barely scraped into the Ten)

to tell you the truth, I can understand that some Songfactors got too frustrated with this, so that they don't participate anymore... :crazy: :P

btw, that's not meant as an accusation to anyone, and I certainly wouldn't want you to vote for songs that you don't like...

that's just the way it is

some things will never change

I've nominated a few 90's and onward songs before, but I think my taste in music there is a bit obscure. :P I'm still trying to play catch-up on all of the music from the 80's back, and holy crap, have I ever missed a lot.

I try to watch music videos for the available songs when I find the time (well, more like care), just so I can get everyone's nominations a fair shot.

that's just the way it is

some things will never change

Bruce Hornsby! 80s! :grin:

Two comments, if you all will indulge me. If you prefer not to indulge me, stop reading here.

1] I'm one of the old folks around here, and I nominate and vote for 90s stuff on a regular basis. I just nominated a 90s song, for criminy's sake. And hardly anyone voted for it.

which leads me to my second comment...

2] I have said this until I am blue in the face. Farin, you brought up the fact that people get frustrated and don't participate anymore because their noms don't make it into the top ten. This mini-rant has nothing at all to do with you, you just happened to bring it up. I adore you with all of my heart. With that said, people getting upset that their songs don't make it in the top ten never fails to blow my mind. This started out as a happy little diversion in the Fun & Games forum. Old Fitty put a lot of effort into cultivating it. It grew into a sub-forum because we all thought it was fun. Somehow it has grown into a competitive monster making machine. I will never, ever in a million years understand why a person would get upset because not enough people voted for their song. Did you write the song? Did you produce the song? Did you sing backup on the song? Did you work in the factory that pressed the album or CD? I think not. Therefore, there is no need to take it personally.

I have such odd and diverse tastes in music that I am tickled when anyone votes for my songs. I was thrilled beyond belief that "Bitchin' Camaro" had multiple votes. But if no one at all had voted for it, that would have been fine, too.

I just don't get it, man. :stars:

I fully agree.

My nominations might be a bit more mainstream, which is probably not the right expression but you get my drift, but when I nominate songs I don't expect anyone to know and then someone else ends up voting for it, I'm thrilled. I still remember Phil and CeeCee voting for I Don't Need No Doctor by Humble Pie. :thumbsup:

And I don't think it'd be very different if my nominations never made it.

I absolutely agree that it shouldn't matter either way, and I'll carry on nominating whatever I fancy, safe in the knowledge that it'll normally fall flat on its arse.

Having said that, I'm absolutely stoked to get "Ace Of Spades" into the Top 5! Just how splendid is that??!

Edited by Guest
Once the euphoria had died down, I thought the F word could go...

Well, being the Oldie, I think it's a great Top Ten. :thumbsup:

I was really surprised that Happy Together and Seasons In The Sun missed out first time around. I thing Along Comes Mary is also a renomination ? Maybe Dappled can Post a list for this Ten ?

Also my ambition is to get an Elvis song to #1. I just have to find one you all know and like !

Haven't we already had a 90s #1 ? It's the poor old 80s that have missed out. Except for synthesisers and interchangeable Boy Bands I didn't think they were too bad.

:)

Haven't we already had a 90s #1 ? It's the poor old 80s that have missed out. Except for synthesisers and interchangeable Boy Bands I didn't think they were too bad.

yes, indeed: "Alive" made it #1 already, a song that quite a few of you didn't even know... :crazy:

but that was in June last year, since then we mostly (only?) had 60s and 70s #1s

I myself am more a fan of the 90s (having grown up at that time), but if you'll nominate a cool 80s tune I will certainly vote for it :)

Also, it's good to see Namahage back.

Don't you go getting banned again when you have to vote. !!!

And when I was looking in the "Have You Seen Me" Thread I realised that I'd missed levis' Birthday.

:doh:

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY RADHIKA. :) HERE'S A PRESENT FOR YOU.

1719_photo.jpg

The latest heart-throb in India, Australian cricketer Brett Lee, who has a Top Ten song there. I think he has Asha Bhosle, the Indian Diva who has been around before most of you were born, to thank mainly.

Hey Laurie and Farin. :)

Maybe I could put on an Elvis "check-list" ???

My favorites of his (that haven't been in the Ten) are probably A Fool Such As I, Don't Be Cruel, His Latest Flame, She's Not You, It's Now Or Never, Kentucky Rain - not his real Rockers.

I don't know if you'd consider the 80s songs I like cool, Farin. I've already nominated a few, but only "Every Breath You Take"/Police has made the Ten. I might re-nominate "Centerfold"/J.Geils Band. A great opening to it and a good story about a lady who has her stomach stapled.

:guitar:

I like Suspicious Minds, It's Alright Mama, It's Now or Never, and Kentucky Rain.... :) For my Elvis tunes..

For 80's it varies....I liked alot of the Hair Band Groups that some songs didn't seem to do so well...I also like "Don't You Forget About Me" ~ Simple Minds...reminds me of the movie The Breakfast Club everytime I hear it...and I like "I'll Stop The World And Melt With You"..I'll have to look up the artist..not sure who did that... :P

Edited by Guest