The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #47

Lucky

Surprisingly , Old , I lived in Kingston, Ontario for 2 years and went to Zal Yanovsky's restaurant " Chez Piggy " a few times . Pretty decent food , if I recall correctly . Lovely old Canadian city , Kingston ( highly monarchist and class-based , though ) and recommended if you like colonial architecture . Curiously , the older residents still refer to themselves as ' Upper Canadians ' - a term not used elsewhere in Canada since 1867 , or thereabouts ... :) ( Up -themselves bastards ! )

The University there , Queen's ( naturally ) is one of the oldest in N. America and is considered by some as the ' Harvard of Canada ' . The atmosphere there is very ' Massachusetts ' . A cool town - much like Boston : an academic inner - core , with a blue collar majority around it .

Perhaps the 'Spoonful ' connection is not so bizarre as Canada's , perhaps , best known current 'artsy ' band , " The Tragically Hip " , hail from there ...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades ~ Timbuk 3 (which, at the height of its popularity, most people did not get the joke.)

I always use this sentence when I feel sarcastic... :shades: I meet Timbuk 3 when they were touring twenty years ago and this song was their hit... I liked it then and I like to hear it once again.

By the way, their name "Timbuk 3" is also a joke...

Oh, my god... :P This is going to be the hardest Top Ten ever... now I see Fintan nominated two of my Top songs...

Story of My Life - Social Distortion

I went downtown to look for a job

I had no training, no experience to speak of.

I looked at the holes in my jeans

And turned and headed back.

Bitchin' Camaro - The Dead Milkmen

Bitchin' Camaro, bitchin' Camaro,

I ran over my neighbor

Bitchin' Camaro, bitchin' Camaro,

Now it's in all the papers.