Kramer a racist?

MarcM

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, lets think about this...

I dont wanna debate, but i kinda want opinions here.

He took it to a very LARGE extent...he took it too far. But what if he had casually been making somewhat racial jokes about black people? Thats Bad right? WHOA!!!

Chris Rock and most other Black Comedians spend an entire hour making fun of white people, but its okay? If Chris Rock would have gone off on somebody for interrupting him and say it was a white person, and Chris Rock called him a Cracker! or White Trash...nobody would call that racist!!

I am in NO WAY condoning Kramers behavior, but if it had been a different situation where a white comedian was making jokes about african americans...it would be racist.

If a black comedian jokes about white people...its funny and not racist.

What are your thoughts?

A good point, PC. I don't find funny many of the jokes black comedians tell about white people. Are they racist? I suppose it depends on your point of view. Personally, I believe comedians should stay away from jokes that deal with race.

I don't believe Michael Richards use of the "N" word necessarily makes him a racist. However, when he told the heckler that 50 years ago he would have been suspended upside down with a fork up his a##, he went WAYYYYY over the line. As someone else mentioned, Richards clearly has some unresolved issues to deal with. It's a good thing for him that the Seinfeld residuals will keep rolling in because I think his career in show business is over. Of course there are always game shows or the talk show circuit.

Richards is not and never was a good stand up comedian. He is doing it because he can capitalize on Seinfeld fame and because, quite frankly, he doesn't have much going for his career except his TV fame.

With that said, he has no idea how to handle a heckler, and he never considered an end to his stand up career a bad thing.

Even over the top comedians like Dice and Kinison knew the line...but they had stand up careers. Richards got flustered, barked out comments he may or not believe and messed up in a big way.

Richards is not and never was a good stand up comedian. He is doing it because he can capitalize on Seinfeld fame and because, quite frankly, he doesn't have much going for his career except his TV fame.

With that said, he has no idea how to handle a heckler, and he never considered an end to his stand up career a bad thing.

Even over the top comedians like Dice and Kinison knew the line...but they had stand up careers. Richards got flustered, barked out comments he may or not believe and messed up in a big way.

Exactly. He's right again. I think Richards went for the most base, insulting comments that came to mind, without thought, and is now dealing with the backlash. Big backlash.