Borat

Batman

Well, that's the generation gap for ya, eh?

Really directed at late teens-early twentys.

As I was walkign out of the theater, an older woman said to her husband "I don't care if it's satire, it's gross, and it's stupid."

Favorite line: "What is up with it, vanilla-face?"

I don't think it has to do with a generation gap. I know a lot of people my age who like the guy's comedy. Personally, I find it very unfunny - and most likely would find it unfunny no matter how young or old I was. The more I think about what he's attempting to lampoon, the less I "get" his humour... and then it hits me that it's probably not geared to make me think.

I don't think it has to do with a generation gap. I know a lot of people my age who like the guy's comedy. Personally, I find it very unfunny - and most likely would find it unfunny no matter how young or old I was. The more I think about what he's attempting to lampoon, the less I "get" his humour... and then it hits me that it's probably not geared to make me think.

Fair enough, I guess we just have different tastes in movies. If you're who I think you are, we also disagree on Donnie Darko and Fight Club.

Well, you've gotta see that part in context, otherwise it's not funny.

If anyone wants to know what it's about, it's about a Kazahk reporter named Borat who goes to America to make a documentary with his friend Azamat, and ends up traveling across the U.S. to try to find Pamela Anderson.

Here's the trailer, not as good as the movie, but it gives you a general idea of the kind of humor

Here he is on "Night of Too Many Stars" with Jon Stewart

• 3 weeks later...

I saw it, and I guess I have four comments on the movie:

- The movie is a satirical mockumentary, so don't expect much of a storyline.

- Keep your ears open while watching it for our current number 1 in the Songfactors' Choice Top Tens, "Everybody's Talking" by Nilsson. It also features "Born To Be Wild".

- All the humour is rather lowbrow, but if you like lowbrow humour (like me), there is about one laugh every 10 seconds. Absolutely hilarious.

- The movie surprisingly did make me think more than pretty much every comedy I have ever seen before it. Making fun of Kazakhstan is pretty much the exact opposite of the point of this movie. As phil pointed out, it is basically a satire of USA, and the only people it is intended to poke fun at are Americans and people who are thick enough to believe that Cohen's depiction of Kazakhstan and Kazakhstani people is actually accurate.

WARNING: The following section of this post may offend.

The movie shows us foreigners that many Southerners (or conservative white-trash rednecks, if you prefer) still hold the same beliefs that were held back in the days of slavery. For example, a man at a rodeo told Borat that he should shave off his moustache because "he looks like a terrorist", and later voiced his hatred of homosexuals. Also, when

Borat said "May Premier George Walter Bush drink the blood of every Iraqi citizen" to the rodeo crowd, the crowd actually cheered, even though they thought Borat was genuine. This was rather disturbing for me.

Oh yeah, and the movie has an unusually high rottentomatoes.com rating of 92%, compiled from 169 reviews. Remember that the rotten tomatoes ratings are based on reviews by some of the world's most respected movie reviewers (and admittedly many who are not very well respected). I don't mean to insult people who didn't like the movie, but I had to point that out. :P

Some of that may come from the unassuming attitude people have towards others. I'm willing to bet a lot of people don't know anyone from Kazakhstan and then they see this "foreign-looking" guy with a heavy accent and a whole entourage - and he brings with him the whole idea that foreign people are funny because they're poor and stupid. I already know the people he interviews are gonna be edited to appear like morons. This is why one should always read the fine print in the release form, because you never know how you're going to be edited/stitched-up into the project :beatnik:

The movie shows us foreigners that many Southerners (or conservative white-trash rednecks, if you prefer) still hold the same beliefs that were held back in the days of slavery. For example, a man at a rodeo told Borat that he should shave off his moustache because "he looks like a terrorist", and later voiced his hatred of homosexuals. Also, when

Borat said "May Premier George Walter Bush drink the blood of every Iraqi citizen" to the rodeo crowd, the crowd actually cheered, even though they thought Borat was genuine. This was rather disturbing for me.

I live in the South, Chris, and attitudes like this are unfortunately prevalent. It offends me to my very core that people can be so ignorant. On the other hand, not everyone is like that. My darling Mr. Peach is the most open minded person I have ever met, and he was born and raised here.