The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 19

Hated leaving these off.

I agree, the nomination list was very solid, with a wide array of music talent & a particularly superb Motown/R&B/Soul listing. The two of us, had to deduct (in order) & decipher 10 picks out of an otherwise top 25 favorites from the old 45" bin.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's still two people who nominated who haven't voted yet. One is Brad, and he's indicated that he may be leaving the site; we hope not. The other person's vote could change the makeup of the Top Ten, so I've sent a PT.

I've discussed it with Farin, and we'll give it another 12 hours, then I'll close the Top Ten and announce it. Farin will put the full information on the Archive a little later.

Then we may start a "fill-in" Special Top Ten, (similar to the 'worst songs', but on a different theme) because I'm sure a few people are away at the moment. We'll probably use CanAm's "Classic Pre 1950s Oldies" idea.

I think we might just use SONG TITLES, not a particular version, e.g. Stardust, rated by many as the Top Song of the 20th Century. I have at least a half dozen versions of it on Albums. Hoagy Carmichael wrote it, but I have no idea who did the first ever version of it.

:)

Looks like Hoagy's original was a faster paced instrumental in the late '20s.

"In January,1929, Mills Music Company of New York published Carmichael's Stardust, still a wordless instrumental. In May of that year, the piece was published as a song, with lyrics by Mitchell Parrish, a New York lyricist working for Mills. But still the song went nowhere. In May, 1930, bandleader Isham Jones recorded the song, slowing the tempo and now the song began its skyward ascent, as more and more musicians were attracted to its dreamy, romantic qualities."

reference

Thanks very much John. I found that article really interesting. Fancy calling your kid "Hoagland"; no wonder it got abbreviated to 'Hoagy'. So he also wrote Georgia (On My Mind). That and Stardust would be enough to immortalize his name.

I had to go out unexpectedly all morning, so I'll leave the current Top Ten for Farin to announce when he comes online in a few hours. As I said, there's still two nominators who haven't yet voted, if they'd like to.

Let me just say that I think the best song on the List got to #1. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who nominated and voted :)

Here's the

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

Top Ten # 19 for Period ending 5th July 2006

1. Good Vibrations - Beach Boys (1966)

2. Somebody To Love - Jefferson Airplane (1967)

3. Angie - The Rolling Stones (1973)

4. Rock The Casbah - The Clash (1982)

5. Ramble On - Led Zeppelin (1969)

6. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman (1988)

7. Bring It On Home To Me - Sam Cooke (1961)

8. Daniel - Elton John (1973)

9. My Girl - The Temptations (1965)

10.He Aint Heavy, He's My Brother - The Hollies (1969)

:headphones:

Great reading as always in the Archive Farin. Well done ! :coolio:

If I hadn't already checked it I'd demand a recount. My nomination came 11th, same points as #10, but beaten in a countback.

60s dominated again, but it was good to see 2 x 80s songs there. Phil was right on the button, nominating our #1 song. When I saw the nominations I thought "it's between Good Vibrations and Angie." What we need now is an 80s #1 and a female solo/Group #1.I wonder who'll be the first to think up nominations that can do it ? Go for 80s females and maybe get two birds with one stone. (Madonna ?)

Edna, don't inhale that "keyboard cleaner" spray. :grin: There'll be a Top Ten #20 starting soon, we hope ! I meant we'll have another "Special Top Ten" like the 'worst songs' one, but that will be run in conjunction with our ordinary ones.

It's gratifying to me because it means others like the same music as I do. But if I was to just put a song on here because I thought it would get big votes, not because I liked the song, it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other. Ya know?

My nomination came 11th. :doh:

NOW I THINK THESE WOULD BE 2 SURE FIRE #1s:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones

Another Brick In The Wall (Parts 1 & 2) - Pink Floyd

How about we make them mandatory nominations (credited to nobody) one Top Ten, and fight out the other eight places ?

OR

We all go really commercial and deliberately put songs we think could beat them ?

(Those two would still be mandatory). Maybe for our 25th (Silver) Top Ten ?

What do you think of that idea ?

Also, have you noticed that some songs that appear in our Top Ten are making their way onto the Songfacts Daily and Weekly Top Tens? I like to think that we have a bit to do with that, and of course the more hits on them, the better for the Songfacts Site which we all enjoy so much.

Good Top Ten. Good Vibrations was Brian Wilson's masterpiece, before he went insane for about 20 years. Also, am happy Sam Cooke and Tracy Chapman made it. I think I'll nominate Hey Jude next... just kidding. Happy Independence Day to everyone who is free and allowed to express their thoughts without repercussion.

Also, have you noticed that some songs that appear in our Top Ten are making their way onto the Songfacts Daily and Weekly Top Tens? I like to think that we have a bit to do with that, and of course the more hits on them, the better for the Songfacts Site which we all enjoy so much.

Yes Darryl, I have been noticing that. I was going to mention it the other day. I think an idea for something such as you've suggested, is great! Get some more opinions... :)

This time 5 of the 10 I voted for including one of my nominations made it into the top 10. :thumbsup:

Pinball Wizard didn't make it but should have IMO. One of the Who's best. I Can See For Miles is better, but I don't think it's been nominated before, or has it?

Hi All. We might hold off nominating for another day because of the U.S. Independence Day Holiday. Congratulations on your 230th Anniversary.

Dappled, I Can See For Miles wasn't nominated before because it was in the Songfacts' Top Tens a lot. :)

Judo, I think My Girl is one of the finest Soul/ R&B songs ever. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your input CeeCee. It's always appreciated !!!

I agree with Phil on Good Vibrations being a masterpiece. :coolio:

Thank you Katie for looking after the Top Ten song facts for us. :D

:headphones: