The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 10

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just fine dear Edna ! I was also thinking of asking everyone to consider making one of their nominations 1980 or later if they can. Know any good 80s, 90s, 00s Songs ? I nominated Achy Breaky Heart but it never got a vote. :grin:

Edna, how about putting your 20 Nominations so far together (as bluesboy and I have) and we'll see what sort of a "Compilation CD" they'd make ?

I'd forgotten mine, but I soon remembered which ones they were when I went back to the Archives. That would be great if we could all do that !

:)

Yeah, a few popular songs have got very few votes, like Achy Breaky Heart and Simply The Best. It shows that popular does not mean good.

As much as I liked Achy Breaky Heart, I soon got tired of it. Does Billy Ray Cyrus have any other hits ?

Simply the Best still has lasting appeal, besides as an artist Tina Turner is liked by most if not all. Another reason for this nomination was trying to get a later decade into the top ten. I think I will stick to my first love, 50's, 60's

The Archive is now up to date with the list #10 :) Check it out!

Here are my 20 nominations so far:

1. Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo) ~ Manfred Mann

2. Locomotive Breath ~ Jethro Tull

3. Cecilia ~ Simon & Garfunkel

4. Jeremy ~ Pearl Jam

5. What's the frequency, Kenneth ~ R.E.M.

6. Money for Nothing ~ Dire Straits

7. Born To Be Wild ~ Steppenwolf

8. Seven Nation Army ~ The White Stripes

9. Heart Shaped Box ~ Nirvana

10. Enjoy The Silence ~ Depeche Mode

11. Novacaine For The Soul ~ Eels

12. Given To Fly ~ Pearl Jam

13. Loser ~ Beck

14. No One Knows ~ Queens Of The Stone Age

15. You ain't seen Nothing Yet ~ Bachman Turner Overdrive

16. Minnie The Moocher ~ The Blues Brothers feat. Cab Calloway

17. Sledghammer ~ Peter Gabriel

18. Take your Mama ~ Scissor Sisters

19. Do The Evolution ~ Pearl Jam

20. The Model ~ Kraftwerk

Now that I've seen them all listed, I noticed that they are mainly 90's and 00's. I think that's because there are always so many good 60's and 70's songs, that get my votes, I want to put in a little diversity :)

In the 80s my eldest daughter was in her teens. I can remember that some of the artists she listened to were Simply Red, Madonna, Womack & Womack, and I liked them too. I listened mostly to classical music but I did buy some popular music, for example Toto, (don't laugh!), Moody Blues, David Johanson, Rupert Hine.

Voci my nominations:

-1 Oliver's Army - Elvis Costello

-2 Torn & Frayed - The Rolling Stones

-3 Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding

-4 I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor

-5 96 Tears - ? & the Mysterians

-6 To Love Somebody - The Bee Gees

-7 Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater Revival

-8 Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen

-9 White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

-10 Starman - David Bowie

-11 Mrs Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel

-12 Wild Horses - The Rolling Stones

-13 Have you ever Seen the Rain - Creedence Clearwater Revival

-14 Psycho killer - Talking Heads

-15 Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

-16 No Milk Today - Herman's Hermits

-17 Losing my Religion - REM

-18 My Way - Frank Sinatra

-19 (Sitting on) the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding

-20 The Winner Takes it All - ABBA

As much as I liked Achy Breaky Heart, I soon got tired of it. Does Billy Ray Cyrus have any other hits ?

He's really a Country singer Judo, and this was the only major Pop Hit he had.

Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo) ~ Manfred Mann

I was really surprised when that didn't get in the Ten Farin. I think it's one of the very best versions of a Bob Dylan song.

I listened mostly to classical music but I did buy some popular music, for example Toto, (don't laugh!)

I won't laugh. They're one of my favorite Groups Dappled.

I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor)

If this one couldn't get in, I won't nominate any other Disco songs Edna !

Some Great songs in your nominations. Isnt it time for a Beatles' song though ?

I have my 20 nominations too:

1. Highway Star - Deep Purple

2. Here Comes The Night - Them

3. Don't Bring Me Down - ELO

4. Just What I Needed - The Cars

5. Bang A Gong (Get It On) - T.Rex

6. I Got You - Split Enz

7. Dead Flowers - The Rolling Stones

8. Night Time Is The Right Time - Ray Charles

9. Hello It's Me - Todd Rundgren

10. That's The Way - Led Zeppelin

11. Breakdown - Tom Petty

12. Tequila Sunrise - The Eagles

13. If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot

14. Crazy On You - Heart

15. Radar Love - Golden Earring

16. Atlantis - Donovan

17. Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC

18. Slip Away - Clarence Carter

19. So Far Away - Carole King

20. Fox On The Run - Sweet

Farin, did the Beatles cover this song? or does the original version remind you of the Beatles. I don't have this in my collection, just a memory of radio listenings in my younger days.

Judo.

Farin, did the Beatles cover this song? or does the original version remind you of the Beatles. I don't have this in my collection, just a memory of radio listenings in my younger days.

Judo.

No,to my knowledge, the Beatles didn't cover it, but I guess you could get reminded of them when you've heard it on the radio.

The Mighty Quinn ~ Manfred Mann

The Beatles never did a cover of "Mighty Quinn" but Manfred Mann is a British band from the sixties so the sound and the harmonies might be a bit similar. Besides, Klaus Voorman, from Hamburg and bass player with MM since 1967, was a very close friend of the Beatles and might have had some influence on "Mighty Quinn"´s sound, as they released that Dylan´s cover after he joined the band.

Thanks Farin, especially for the web link. After watching the video, they sure DO REMIND me of the Beatles.

Thanks Edna, that was very informative.

As always thanks are also in order to OLD55 and the Big Chief.

Manfred Mann was one of the best British Groups of the 60s. They had many personnel changes. The best known lineup was with the great vocals of Paul Jones (Do Wah Diddy Diddy, Pretty Flamingo, etc). Jones went solo in 1966; Mike d'Abo replaced him and did the lead vocals on Mighty Quinn. Rod Stewart had unsuccessfully auditioned for the 'job' !

Jack Bruce left (around the same time as Paul Jones) to join Cream ! As Edna said, Klaus Voorman replaced him as bassist. There were actually 3 distinct phases of "Manfred Mann", and finally "Manfred Mann's Earth Band" who hit with Bruce Springsteen's Blinded By The Light. Another excellent spin-off Group was McGuinness Flint (When I'm Dead And Gone, Malt And Barley Blues, etc).

Now I don't usually rave on that much about Bands, but they are just one of my All Time Favorites. I have old 45s, albums, Paul Jones' singles, and a couple of CD Compilations/Anthologies of theirs. They probably successfully covered more Bob Dylan songs than any other Artist/ Group. (Promise I won't do it too often).

:coolio:

Thanks for the video clip link Farin ! I don't think I've ever seen anyone mime/lip synch as badly as that before, but I still loved it !

Edited by Guest
THANKS FARIN !

And here's our current Top Ten. I'LL start a new thread in the morning (my time)for Top Ten #11, so please start thinking of your nominations ! Goodnight All.

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

Top Ten #10 for period ending 20th May 2006.

1. BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER - SIMON & GARFUNKEL

2.(SITTIN' ON) THE DOCK OF THE BAY - OTIS REDDING

3. HERE COMES THE SUN - THE BEATLES

4. SUSPICIOUS MINDS - ELVIS PRESLEY

5. BLACKBIRD - THE BEATLES

6. GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD - ELTON JOHN

7. HALLELUJAH - JEFF BUCKLEY

8. THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD - DAVID BOWIE

9. ALL THE YOUNG DUDES - MOTT THE HOOPLE

10.GET TOGETHER - THE YOUNGBLOODS

Manfred Mann was one of the best British Groups of the 60s. They had many personnel changes. The best known lineup was with the great vocals of Paul Jones (Do Wah Diddy Diddy, Pretty Flamingo, etc). Jones went solo in 1966; Mike d'Abo replaced him and did the lead vocals on Mighty Quinn. Rod Stewart had unsuccessfully auditioned for the 'job' !

Jack Bruce left (around the same time as Paul Jones) to join Cream ! As Edna said, Klaus Voorman replaced him as bassist.

They were one of my alltime favourites too. I bought any record by them I could get my hands on, including the EPs (The One in the Middle, Machines, As Was, Instrumental Asylum and Instrumental Assasination). Their 1st LP The Five Faces of Manfred Mann must be one of the best debut albums ever! Do you know if Jack Bruce actually played on any of Manfred Mann's recordings that Paul Jones sang on?

I was also thinking of asking everyone to consider making one of their nominations 1980 or later if they can. Know any good 80s, 90s, 00s Songs ?

I think just about every one of my nominations so far has been an '80s song. They're not striking a chord with the crowd here, though.

Not for me!!! Nominating songs from the '80's is not the challenge, it's getting the votes. As Shawna said, it's what strikes a chord. Since the '80's were my teen years, I tend to lean towards that era, cheesy as it was.

Okay, I respect Simon & Garfunkle, but three times in the Top 10? Let's get some fresh blood in here!

Having said that, I have a '50's song on my list of songs I want to nominate.....

You're all right...it is no different from this post from the news recently:

Kurt Cobain has been voted the greatest rock star of all-time in a new poll.

The Nirvana frontman came out ahead of Pete Doherty and Morrissey in the survey, which appears in this week's NME.

Around 2,000 music fans are understood to have voted for their rock'n'roll idols, with the top five also featuring Liam Gallagher and Doherty's former Libertines band mate Carl Barat.

However, the NME has questioned the relevance of Doherty, who finds himself in the Top 5 at a time when his problems with drugs and the law are far more relevant that his music.

The magazine dismissed his selection as a rock icon, suggesting: "Surely he's just a worn-out drug addict who needs help if he's ever going to make decent music again?"

The full Top 10 is as follows:

01 Kurt Cobain

02 Pete Doherty

03 Morrissey

04 Liam Gallaagher

05 Carl Barat

06 Thom Yorke

07 Noel Gallagher

08 David Bowie

09 Ian Brown

10 Ian Curtis

I would only vote for Bowie, but the demographics of NME are such that a newer era of musicians made the list.

I don't know the overall demographics of SF's but I do know that most of the regulars here are going to favor the 60's and 70's....