The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 10

THANKS TO ALL WHO NOMINATED AND VOTED !

HERE'S THE RESULTS OF OUR TOP TEN #10 !!!

#1. BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER - SIMON & GARFUNKEL

500_albums_bridge_over_troubled_water.65

#2. (SITTIN' ON) THE DOCK OF THE BAY - OTIS REDDING

otis_dock.jpg

#3. HERE COMES THE SUN - THE BEATLES

abbeyroadpic.jpg

#4. SUSPICIOUS MINDS - ELVIS PRESLEY

B00000IFT8.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

#5. BLACKBIRD - THE BEATLES

whitealbumpic.jpg

#6. GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD - ELTON JOHN

114269.jpg

#7. HALLELUJAH - JEFF BUCKLEY

B0002VJT4U.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

#8. THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD - DAVID BOWIE

1025311.jpg

#9. ALL THE YOUNG DUDES - MOTT THE HOOPLE

mott_the_hoople_-_all_the_young_dudes.jp

#10. GET TOGETHER - THE YOUNGBLOODS

449887.jpg

.........................................................................................

I'll list out all the Nominations and Points gained soon !

Goodnight All. :sleepy:

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like to make a comment that might be perceived as offensive by some, but i'll say it anyway.

i think that old songs have an unfair advantage to new songs, because they are liked by older and younger people. whereas newer songs tend to be like by the younger people. that's just my opinion anyway

Great List, as usual. But I think that's the first time non of my votes made it in the Top Ten :P oh well...

I think I'm just not mainstream... ;) :shades:

i would like to make a comment that might be perceived as offensive by some, but i'll say it anyway.

i think that old songs have an unfair advantage to new songs, because they are liked by older and younger people. whereas newer songs tend to be like by the younger people. that's just my opinion anyway

I tend to agree with you (although I wouldn't say unfair advantage), Rachel. Maybe we could make a "Topical Ten" just with 80's or younger?

What do you all think? :)

A fair point Rachel. Both of your nominations (1980 and 1995)are by U.K. Bands and weren't Hits in the U.S.

"Just" polled well and made the Top 20, probably because Radiohead are popular worldwide, but I wonder if many in the States know Joy Division all that well ?

That's why I don't nominate songs that were big Hits in Australia, but most likely unknown in the U.S.

Probably only Katie and I would vote for them.

:P

Try nominating "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk next time Farin. That'll get some votes! I've never heard of Das Model before.

Also, this will surprise you, but I like some of Pearl Jam's songs. Wasn't Do The Evolution the one with the great animated video clip ?

Anyway, no offense meant to Invis or you. I feel the same way when I nominate some 50s absolute classic and it hardly gets a vote.

:)

We have suggested the topical lists, and lists resriticted by decades...I think Darryl is planning them. You are both right, the older songs have had more time to become classic songs in everyone's minds. We'll get it right.

Once again Darryl.....great job!! :bow: Love the album covers!! :)

No offense taken, Darryl. ;)

I think I even had one of my nominations in one of the past Top Tens, so I shouldn't complain...

Yes "Do The Evolution" has this cool animated video. (BTW my signature is from that song, too)

I thought about nominating "Autobahn", but we already had that once. Also "Das Modell" was a #1 in UK in the 80's. And in Germany it's way more famous (it had a very succesful re-release in the 90's).

Edited by Guest

Ah ! I'd seen that before but I thought it was from an Album cover.

Yes, I knew 'The Model' was #1 in the U.K. from my Chart Books, but I wouldn't know the song if I heard it. Sorry, I didn't realise that Autobahn had been nominated before. That would be their best known song outside of Europe.

Again, that's why I only nominate songs that are known in the U.S. We have some great Australian artists. If I nominate a song by my local city (Brisbane) band, Powderfinger, who'll vote for it ?

:)

Ah ! I'd seen that before but I thought it was from an Album cover.

I think you're confusing that. "I'm ahead, I'm the man, I'm the first mammal to wear pants yeah..." are the first words of the song.

My avatar is indeed an album cover ;)

Sure we do... :laughing:

What a great Top Ten. Now, I will be never be able to nominate one of my fave songs as I see any Beatles song makes it to the top... that would be cheating? ;)

Simon&Garfunkel are always on top too...

I like "Love will tear us apart" and I would have voted for it if not for this huge list of wonderful tunes.

I don´t care if my nominations are among the chosen ones, I know I´m weird, I love songs like "Indiana wants me" or "Raindrops keep falling on my head". I already listened to the Damned, Nick Cave, Tom Waits or Cabaret Voltaire in the past...

As I mentioned a couple times before, by using data retrieved only by your personal "Top Ten" (this thread here) nominations and votes, I am trying to make a musical compatibitity chart so that you might find which other Songfactor (among those who nominate and vote also) you are most musically related to. It is turning out to be much more complex than I first thought it might be, but I have started to commit time to get it done, and will complete it.

This might be very intriguing or ... it might be nothing at all. However, it will only be accurate if you earnestly nominate and vote for the songs closest to your heart. If your nominations or votes are calculations to "win" a position on the final "Top Ten," you will have skewed data and the resultant compatability chart will reflect that fact.

As CeeCee did on this last cycle, it would be wise to nominate and vote with your eyes closed and hear the music that plays strongest in your heart like a personal anthem of your moods and tastes. That is how to best facilitate locating musical soulmates ... if you would like that. If not, just disregard this message and pick songs you think will win.

I do agree that the older songs will 9/10 get more nominations for the reason that most will know songs older than 10 years :)

Not discrediting the voters in any way though!

Also nice to see one of my nominations in the top 10, although I know if it were a more recent song, it would not have been there :)

I like Farin's idea of a more "contemporary" chart running alongside this one :coolio:

PS: OldFif, Powderfinger are a well known and popular band, so a nomination for them will be sure to get some votes ;)

It´s hard for me to choose songs from the last 15 years or so, there´s so many great old songs to vote while the new ones are just funny for me... :P I guess all my contribution to the 90s was Beck´s "Loser" or REM "Losing my religion".

I guess I am one of the "Old Foggies". I must apologize, but I really don't know much of the newere music. We don't have kids in the house so I really don't listen to contemporary music. The music I nominate for the most part means something to me personally. The songs I nominate played an important part in my growing up into the person that I am.

I know there is some good newer music out there, it is just I am not that familiar with that genre.

I hope that explains why I nominate the way I do.

Hey its for fun anyway and I enjoy what OLD 55 has put together for us.

Everyone have a great weekend and if your fortunate to have your mum don't forget her this weekend.

rtstuff

"and the sign said long hair freakie people need not apply so I tucked my hair up under my hat and went in anyway." The Five Man Electrical Band

As I mentioned a couple times before, by using data retrieved only by your personal "Top Ten" (this thread here) nominations and votes, I am trying to make a musical compatibitity chart so that you might find which other Songfactor (among those who nominate and vote also) you are most musically related to. It is turning out to be much more complex than I first thought it might be, but I have started to commit time to get it done, and will complete it.

This might be very intriguing or ... it might be nothing at all. However, it will only be accurate if you earnestly nominate and vote for the songs closest to your heart. If your nominations or votes are calculations to "win" a position on the final "Top Ten," you will have skewed data and the resultant compatability chart will reflect that fact.

As CeeCee did on this last cycle, it would be wise to nominate and vote with your eyes closed and hear the music that plays strongest in your heart like a personal anthem of your moods and tastes. That is how to best facilitate locating musical soulmates ... if you would like that. If not, just disregard this message and pick songs you think will win.

Ron, here's my 20 nominations for the first ten charts that I've track listed into an imaginary cd.

1. Don't Let Go - Roy Hamilton

2. Bluebird - Leon Russell

3. What Is Hip? - Tower of Power

4. Take a Giant Step - Taj Mahal

5. Respect - Aretha Franklin

6. Who Do You Love? - George Thorogood & The Destroyers

7. Baby Let's Play House - Elvis Presley

8. Lonely Teardrops - Jackie Wilson

9. This Magic Moment - Jay & The Americans

10. Harder They Come, The - Jimmy Cliff

11. Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground - Willie Nelson

12. God Bless The Child - Blood, Sweat & Tears

13. My Back Pages - The Byrds

14. Black Queen - Stephen Stills

15. Gentle On My Mind - Glen Campbell

16. Coconut - Harry Nilsson

17. Good Lovin' - The Rascals

18. Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan

19. Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin

20. City, Country, City - War

I'll call it -

From The Vaults - Vol. 1

:cool:

what's the point in nominating and voting for things just because they will win? i nomitated two songs that i truly love, as indicated from the fact that they were number 1 and 2 in my list. i didn't really expect either of them to be in the top 10

You know I try to keep all "political" reasoning out of it. I don't worry how many times the same bands make it (although I don't nominate Stones or Beatles as of yet) I don't worry about the era, or genre. Maybe I should. But I thought the idea was to come up with YOUR top ten. The songs that make you feel something...sad, happy, reflective, outright joy, or just rock out fun. Music is special to me, for the emotional reasons, the feelings. I'm not big on analyzing style, genre, particular guitar riffs etc...It should be about what a song does for you.

But that's just me.... ;) You may have a tough time with me Ron...My tastes are all over the place!

Edited by Guest

Hey its for fun anyway and I enjoy it.

That sums it all up rt. If it stops being fun I'm outta here.

My idea of a Topical Ten is for special occasions, Christmas, Halloween, come to mind - NOT separate Charts for different eras. If the majority say to me "that IS what we want" then it happens. Otherwise, we don't fix what isn't broken !

I thought too late of suggesting relative song nominations for a "Mother's Day Top Ten". I'm not even sure if it's celebrated the same day in all countries ? It must be in the U.S. if rt has mentioned it.

A HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL MOTHERS OUT THERE, GOD BLESS YOU. YOU ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.

Ron, here's my 20 nominations for the first ten charts that I've track listed into an imaginary cd.I'll call it -

From The Vaults - Vol. 1

:cool:

Thanks bluesboy. I'll just mention again that this was John's original idea - to list our nominations after, say, 10 lots and see what sort of a CD it would make. I know Steel is very enthusiastic about it also. Thanks for your input/support and the project you've undertaken Ron. I'll go back through the Archives, find mine and list them out later.

:thumbsup: