Sad Songs

bparker1188

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can already tell this is gonna be a long list!

hmmm let's see...

So Far Away - Carole King

Parachutes - Coldplay

Secret Track at the end of Parachutes - Coldplay

Cold Water - Damien Rice

Older Chests - Damien Rice

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye - David Gray

Jeannie's Diary - Eels

Selective Memory - Eels (started crying on the underground yesterday listening to this - eek!)

Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton

Walking After You - Foo Fighters

Mad World - Gary Jules

Time Of Your Life - Greenday (cliched but has a special meaning)

Calling You - Jeff Buckley

Everybody Here Wants You - Jeff Buckley

Forget Her - Jeff Buckley

Hallelujah (cliched but sad) - Jeff Buckley

Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley

Lover, You Should've Come Over - Jeff Buckley

Morning Theft - Jeff Buckley

Gethsemane - Jesus Christ Superstar

Pilate's Dream - Jesus Christ Superstar (was in a production of this last year and the men who played Jesus, Judas and Pontius Pilate were all very powerful)

Foolish Games - Jewel

Ride On - Jimmy McCarthy / Christy Moore

Hurt - Johnny Cash (caught me by surprise the other day. the video came on tv and i ended up cryng my eyes out!)

Your Ghost - Kristin Hersh

No Surface All Feeling - Manic Street Preachers

Nobody Loved You - Manic Street Preachers

She Is Suffering - Manic Street Preachers

This Is Yesterday - Manic Street Preachers

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - Nancy Sinatra I think

Strange Fruit - Nina Simone or Jeff Buckley

All Apologies - Nirvana

Heart-Shaped Box - Nirvana

Polly - Nirvana

Where Did You Sleep Last Night - Nirvana

Jeremy - Pearl Jam

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd or Sparklehorse with Thom Yorke

It's A Fire - Portishead

Sour Times - Portishead

Black Star - Radiohead

Bulletproof - Radiohead

Creep - Radiohead

Exit Music (For a Film) - Radiohead

Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead

High And Dry - Radiohead

Lucky - Radiohead

Everybody Hurts - REM (very predictable I know but it was all over the radio when my grandfather died and then i saw them in concert on his exact fourth anniversary and made eye contact with Michael Stipe while in tears during this song!)

When She Loved Me - Sarah McLachlan. That song from Toy Story 2, it never fails to reduce me to tears, i think it uses a Randy Newman piano piece and even just hearing that makes me cry!

Mary - Scissor Sisters

Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins

Blackbird - The Beatles

Yesterday - The Beatles

You've Got To Hide You Love Away - The Beatles

Disappointed - The Frames

What Happens When The Heart Just Stops - The Frames

I Know It's Over - The Smiths

One - U2

Stay (Faraway, So Close) - U2

With Or Without You - U2

I Don't Wanna Talk About It - Dunno who sings it, think it's been done a few times but my mum used to sing a great version!

Black Is The Colour - Traditional Irish Song

PHEW!!!

that took alot of effort and i dunno if anyone will even read it but making it was fun anyway!

"Tu Con El" by Los Iracundos

"El Muchacho De Los Ojos Tristes" by Jeanette

"Almohada" by Jose Jose

"Quizas Si, Quizas No" by Sabu

"Donde Estes, Con Quien Estes" by Camilo Sesto

Yeah, in Spanish. I think only Edna might know the songs I listed here :headphones:

Oh, I know the singers but not the songs... I could add some brezilian Roberto carlos "Enamoradinha dun amigo meu" or let´s talk about any argentinian tango... XXX, you´re great!!!...laughing:laughing::laughing:

I could post plenty of these but I´d rather post some french ones this time:

whole Jacques Brel.

nearly whole Edith Piaf.

and it´s true, we already have plenty of sad songs... I´m gonna cry... sniff... I´ll cheer up with some Leonard Cohen or Neil Young... :headphones:

Oh, I know the singers but not the songs... I could add some brezilian Roberto carlos "Enamoradinha dun amigo meu" or let´s talk about any argentinian tango... XXX, you´re great!!!...laughing:laughing::laughing:

I could post plenty of these but I´d rather post some french ones this time:

whole Jacques Brel.

nearly whole Edith Piaf.

I love Roberto Carlos! There's also a song called "Candilejas," which sounds exactly like him, but is sung by a guy named Jose Augusto - he's also from Brazil (I guess it must be an accent thing that makes them sound the same). "Candilejas" is such a slow, wistfully sad song :puppyeyes: South American music is great: Vallenatos, Bossa Nova, Argentinian Tango, and even the political protest music from Venezuela

French singers? I like Charles Aznavour :beatnik: I'm not familiar with French music and the little I've heard bears no resemblance to the stuff I hear in Spanish and Italian :P Italian Romantic ballads instead sound so much like Spanish ones. I think some of these songs come off as "sad" because of nostalgia :headphones: Then again, "Y Te Vas" by Jose Luis Perales isn't exactly the happiest song :puppyeyes:

XXX, how comes you know so much about the spanish & hispanic music???? Well, you must be also a rock critic, or something like that...!!!!!

Do you know Serge Gainsbourg? I admit you must be french to know/love him... he´s a genius. As for bresilian music, I like very much the first bossa nova, Joao Gilberto, for isntance. Mick Karn, of Japan, made a cover of "La Distancia", by Roberto Carlos. It´s a very sad song...

I love to discuss music with you!!!!! :coolio:

Anything by eminem is pretty sad--wait you mean sad as in boo-hoo, not sad as in tired!

For real, though, when I was 12 my father took me to see Patti Labelle in concert, and I think it might have been the best show I ever saw. Man, is she electrifying!!! Her version of Wind Beneath My Wings dedicated to her sister who had just died was pretty powerful (my Dad was actually weeping and he ain't no weeper believe me!)

Others-

Behind Blue Eyes-The Who

Hendrix-If 6 Was 9

Hail Mary-Makaveli (the minor key running through it is devastating)

I Will Always Love You-Whitney (unfortunately her life is even sadder)

Angie-Stones

XXX, how comes you know so much about the spanish & hispanic music???? Well, you must be also a rock critic, or something like that...!!!!!

Do you know Serge Gainsbourg? I admit you must be french to know/love him... he´s a genius. As for bresilian music, I like very much the first bossa nova, Joao Gilberto, for isntance. Mick Karn, of Japan, made a cover of "La Distancia", by Roberto Carlos. It´s a very sad song...

I love to discuss music with you!!!!! :coolio:

I know of Charlotte Gainsbourg, but I've heard some things from her father. Those old kitschy 60s Pop songs with Brigitte Bardot and Jane Birkin :googly: Me a music critic? Naw. Nowhere near that. I'm just someone who still listens to Diego Verdaguer, Amanda Miguel, Leo Favio, and Los Iracundos as if they had released their hit song yesterday - frozen in the past, like everyone else here :headphones:

Se un poco de musica en Espa(ny)ol. El username que yo tengo es el nombre de un album de Miguel Bose :: Pude haber sido "Salamandra" tambien, aunque la referencia en la cancion es femenina :shades:

Bueno, XXX, you amaze me!!! You must have some spanish relative, your spanish is excellent... Funny you remember "Los Iracundos", this was a pop band of the 60s, when I was a kid living in Buenos Aires... as well as Leonardo Fabio... I liked very much "Los Gatos" (La Balsa) and poquito más...

Serge Gainsbourg did that stupid thing "Je t´aime moi non plus" with BB, but the famous version is the one with Jane Birkin (ex of John Barry). He´s a great writer and musician. He wrote songs for France Gall, Gréco, Hardy, BB... everybody! Charlotte is Jane´s daughter but she sings awfull, she´s an actress. Diego Verdaguer was also a pop singer when I was a child, only I left South Anerica being a teen-ager. And as I was in a french world I had few contact with hispanic music, but of course, I remember bastante!!!! Glad to talk with you! I´m still taking huge packs from one house to another, under the rain, I´m very glad to have a new house... hope my internet connection will be back soon (I took the computer to my parent´s place until we have internet again)

Besitos, XXX!! :coolio: :coolio: :coolio: :coolio: :happybanana: :happybanana: